AirPods Max
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #5,027 of 5,629
I'm writing this while on American Flight 4865 from New Orleans to Philly -- first time using my AirPods Max while flying. Very, very impressive. Superb noise cancellation, and playing music from my MacBook Air (M1), the sound is excellent. I also tried my AP Pro, and the noise cancellation on those was surprisingly effective. My only real gripe with the Pro is the paltry battery life. So nice not to have to worry about that with the Max.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #5,029 of 5,629
Apparently Hans Zimmer enjoys the AirPods Max and spatial audio.

(Well, it’s assumed he’s referring to the AirPods Max, although he doesn’t mention them by name.)

https://9to5mac.com/2021/12/07/hans...e-gave-him-a-pair-of-headphones-he-worked-on/
"Although they never met in person, Zimmer revealed that Ive always sent him “something,” and this time, the gift was a pair of headphones with a note saying “I made this.”

Why did Ive write: I made this? Did he make it all by himself?? I guess it is a team work with many engineers and others also critically involved in such a product's development. I find it too childish for someone to claim like that regarding any Apple product actually. Was he thinking that he created it all by himself? Strange...

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #5,030 of 5,629
"Although they never met in person, Zimmer revealed that Ive always sent him “something,” and this time, the gift was a pair of headphones with a note saying “I made this.”

Why did Ive write: I made this? Did he make it all by himself?? I guess it is a team work with many engineers and others also critically involved in such a product's development. I find it too childish for someone to claim like that regarding any Apple product actually. Was he thinking that he created it all by himself? Strange...
I'd not take this too literally... for one Mr. Zimmer may have shortened the attached message. Plus everyone knows what Ive's role is/was, so nobody would expect him to mount drivers into the units himself, but take it more as an image.

It's interesting that he did send out a prototype though... and that Mr. Zimmer was so intrigued by spatial audio, which, to me, is a total gimmick that I could not care less about. My use of the APM is based upon its audio capabilities, sound signature and its integration with iOS/macOS

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,031 of 5,629
... and that Mr. Zimmer was so intrigued by spatial audio, which, to me, is a total gimmick that I could not care less about. My use of the APM is based upon its audio capabilities, sound signature and its integration with iOS/macOS

I never testing spatial audio with the APM but I imagine is very similar, and maybe little better than the spatial audio experience I'm hearing with the new AirPods 3rd Gen (AP3) that I owning for 6 weeks now. For films and for podcasts spatial audio is excellent and not really a gimmick AT ALL, in my opinion. With music spatial audio or Atmos isn't working for me so in this case I'm using normal stereo always. By the way, the new AP3 is excellent product and many better (in sound and other aspects) than AP1 & AP2.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #5,032 of 5,629
I never testing spatial audio with the APM but I imagine is very similar, and maybe little better than the spatial audio experience I'm hearing with the new AirPods 3rd Gen (AP3) that I owning for 6 weeks now. For films and for podcasts spatial audio is excellent and not really a gimmick AT ALL, in my opinion. With music spatial audio or Atmos isn't working for me so in this case I'm using normal stereo always. By the way, the new AP3 is excellent product and many better (in sound and other aspects) than AP1 & AP2.
When you say it's not working for music, could you be more specific? Do you mean the head tracking isn't working or do you mean the "3D" effect isn't convincing (or something else entirely)? I personally prefer the sound signature of the AP3 with spatial audio on; same with the APM. With the APP it's just a wash in terms of what it does.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #5,033 of 5,629
I'm talking about music most of the time here, so that gimmicky status of spatial audio was meant in the context of music -- maybe with Mr. Zimmer in the same sentence, movies were not that far fetched an idea though...
Yes, with movies spatial audio is nice, and it works really well. I enjoy it sometimes when I view movies on my iPad, but I would not miss it if it were not there...

And yes, the third gen AirPods are quite excellent. I bought them rather hesitant and mainly due to my AP2 slowly dying for phone / audio conference use. But the AP3 is the first generation I can also enjoy music on. They actually sound really good, and I like them more than the APP.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,034 of 5,629
When you say it's not working for music, could you be more specific? Do you mean the head tracking isn't working or do you mean the "3D" effect isn't convincing (or something else entirely)? I personally prefer the sound signature of the AP3 with spatial audio on; same with the APM. With the APP it's just a wash in terms of what it does.

I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes, the spatial audio & Atmos software is working but I don't like the effect is having with music in general. Rarely is ok or interesting but almost always I prefer normal stereo sound.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,035 of 5,629
I guess you mean you prefer their sound signature with spatialize stereo fixed rather than on head tracking mode. If so, it is the same for me since I never understood what's the use of destroying imaging and listen only on one ear every time I turn my head! But yes, on both the APM and AP3, spatialize stereo fixed (or Dolby Atmos for the albums that offer the option) give a better audio presentation than simple stereo.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,037 of 5,629
Am I going crazy or did the new firmware (4C165) do something magical? I mean these souns way brighter, open and more precise/detailed. Really strong placebo…
Thats an interesting impression... unfortunately there are no release notes for the AirPods firmware updates, and I can't say I remember the minute details of a headphone I last used yesterday... but I just took them out and they still sound good :wink:

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #5,038 of 5,629
Am I going crazy or did the new firmware (4C165) do something magical? I mean these souns way brighter, open and more precise/detailed. Really strong placebo…

No difference in FR when measured with blocked ear canal entrance microphones on my own head. Here's how the current sample that I own measure with the new vs precedent firmware on my own head, ANC turned on, average of the R and L channels (themselves averages of five individual seatings each) :

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 19.44.15.png

The small difference, particularly at higher frequencies, can be traced back to averages to averages differences, not necessarily to changes in the firmware. In other words it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Please note that the absolute values are inaccurate and that how they measure with this methodology on my own head may not be representative of your own experience.

One thing that's puzzling me however is how the latter two samples (manufactured two months apart) of the APM that I've measured perform when ANC is turned off vs on (small difference in the 1-3kHz region when ANC is turned off - strong emphasis on "small", I've never understood how Oratory or Sean Olive got their APM and APP ANC on vs off results) vs. the results I typically obtained with the five earlier samples (no difference whatsoever, when measured with pink noise in particular). All seven however performed very similarly when ANC is on, particularly so when using the same pads in the same state of wear (moderate differences in the 1-3kHz region otherwise).
As a general rule the 1-3kHz region remains to me the "mystery" part of the APM's spectrum, it's the range where I still can't fully wrap my mind around the APM's behaviour.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #5,039 of 5,629
You know what... I kind of feel the same thing :cold_sweat: less bass impact but more detail... hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back