AirPods Max
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #5,041 of 5,629
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #5,042 of 5,629
Am I going crazy or did the new firmware (4C165) do something magical? I mean these souns way brighter, open and more precise/detailed. Really strong placebo…

I’m noticing the exact same thing.

They sound more forward, more exciting, and also more textured.

One thing I’ve always said about the APM is they’re fine at detail but they lack microdetail. If there’s a complex piece of music playing, you could hear every individual note separated quite well, but each note has a bit of flatness to it, where you couldn’t make out the textures of that note.

With this update, I’m hearing a noticeable improvement in that regard. Guitar plucks, piano keys, and even human voices sound like there’s more depth to them.

I have a hard time believing this is just a placebo. It’s quite noticeable to me. The headphones immediately sounded livelier to me when I put them on after the update.

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #5,045 of 5,629
I dont think I notice much of a difference. These are still my favorite wireless anc headphones. The only thing is I actually like sharper SSSs sounds and the APM is more TZTz.

I prefer the stock sound as it has a deeper image to me, but you can bring out more details with the headphone accomodation balanced setting and the slider on low. Still a bit unnatural though on some tracks as it brings out dirt on the recording.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #5,047 of 5,629
It is strange indeed and my ears could be fooling me, but I do think that they are now closer in signature to the APP (also updated to 4C165).

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #5,051 of 5,629
I don’t hear any relevant change and doubt I’d remember minute details long enough anyway.
I certainly don’t consider the signature of the APM to have moved towards the APP… to me the APM sounds *much* better, and fortunately that didn’t change :)

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #5,052 of 5,629
Well, I have established for myself several times, that it is difficult to remember how something sounds exactly. I can remember if I liked the sound of something at the time but not exact characteristics anyway. :robot::sweat::robot: So, I am not going to debate that the signature is still the same. I do still wonder if there was changes in the algorithm for spatial sound or maybe ANC that changed - I guess we will never know :eyes:

I still like both the APP and APM and I use them both a lot for different purposes. :v:

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #5,053 of 5,629
Well, I have established for myself several times, that it is difficult to remember how something sounds exactly. I can remember if I liked the sound of something at the time but not exact characteristics anyway. :robot::sweat::robot: So, I am not going to debate that the signature is still the same. I do still wonder if there was changes in the algorithm for spatial sound or maybe ANC that changed - I guess we will never know :eyes:

I still like both the APP and APM and I use them both a lot for different purposes. :v:
Yes, its very unfortunate that Apple doesn't publish even basic release notes (thinking of it, they would read like "removed some out-of-spec features" anyway :wink:
But they did work on ANC issues with the APP shortly after release as far as I remember, so slight audible changes are not offlimits I guess.

I got the APP just after release and for some time I was quite happy with them. After a few weeks I switched back to my 64audio CIEMs though, and then I started noticing the missing low bass on the APP, which is very important to me... so they were relegated to backup, i.e. put into my rucksack just to be taken out when I forgot other headphones or felt the need for ANC. Interestingly the fit test said everything OK initially, but recently it started complaining about fit on the right side. Will have to try out the other tips I guess...

Meanwhile I got the AP3 and I'm very happy with them. I like their sound profile more than the APP, which came as a surprise to me -- I never could listen to music with the older AP1 or AP2, but used them for phone calls. The AP3 on the other hand is not only in my pockets, but I use them voluntarily for both calls and music.

Over the last few months the APM grew on me to a point where I don't want to miss them anymore. They are really nice sounding, well done headphones. Yes, they could be a bit lighter on the head and handling could be improved (mainly that knocking of the cups when taking them out of storage, i.e. folded flat). But for a first generation over-ear they are quite impressive I think.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #5,054 of 5,629
Yes, its very unfortunate that Apple doesn't publish even basic release notes (thinking of it, they would read like "removed some out-of-spec features" anyway :wink:
But they did work on ANC issues with the APP shortly after release as far as I remember, so slight audible changes are not offlimits I guess.

I got the APP just after release and for some time I was quite happy with them. After a few weeks I switched back to my 64audio CIEMs though, and then I started noticing the missing low bass on the APP, which is very important to me... so they were relegated to backup, i.e. put into my rucksack just to be taken out when I forgot other headphones or felt the need for ANC. Interestingly the fit test said everything OK initially, but recently it started complaining about fit on the right side. Will have to try out the other tips I guess...

Meanwhile I got the AP3 and I'm very happy with them. I like their sound profile more than the APP, which came as a surprise to me -- I never could listen to music with the older AP1 or AP2, but used them for phone calls. The AP3 on the other hand is not only in my pockets, but I use them voluntarily for both calls and music.

Over the last few months the APM grew on me to a point where I don't want to miss them anymore. They are really nice sounding, well done headphones. Yes, they could be a bit lighter on the head and handling could be improved (mainly that knocking of the cups when taking them out of storage, i.e. folded flat). But for a first generation over-ear they are quite impressive I think.
The weight of the APM is the biggest downside of these headphones in my humble opinion as it affects comfort significantly. Why they did not go lighter in weight is beyond me.
Also not having an on/off “switch” is mind boggling.
I also own the APP and loved them but once I put on and listen to APM I remembered what was missing with APP.
The sound signature for wirelsss headphone on the APM is fantastic. I have always felt comparing wired to wireless is not fair but these are really good. I am sure to the purist they are not.

I got my APM as a gift and still trying to decide if I can live with the comfort issue. Sometimes they are perfect but at least have the time- the weight/tightness/ heat build is just awful.

The new firmware sounds good. It did seem there was a small change but hard to pin it down. Sound just seems a touch better. Who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #5,055 of 5,629
Meanwhile I got the AP3 and I'm very happy with them.

Me too, if it weren't for that issue : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-3-hissing-and-coil-whine.2319557/
I'll try my luck in early 2022 again because I absolutely want them in my life. As an overall product, they're my favourite AirPods thus far.

One very interesting aspect IMO of the AP3 is that I believe that they may be the only headphones in existence with a feedback mechanism without suffering either the occlusion effect (such as with the APP and APM when ANC is off) or ANC circuit noise (such as with the APP and APM when ANC is on, although I personally find both of them among the most tolerable ANC headphones I've tried in that regard). Perhaps the first "open" headphones with a feedback mechanism that can work without ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back