AirPods Max
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #4,696 of 5,629
You are absolutely right, I was one of them, preferring always the warm sound, mainly due to my love for bass and bass music. But my preferences have been changed for some time now, for a peculiar reason that I am not aware of. Especially these cases where it feels like there is a curtain covering the "window" which does not allow a clear "view", make me go further away from my old warm sound inclination. I am aware of Tyll's preference since I used to care a lot about his judgement. I miss a lot his audio recommendations and reviews!

Please let me know how can I enable this infamous spatialize stereo on iOS 14.7.1? When I click on the volume slider in control centre with the APM, I see only noise control (noise cancelation) and spatial audio which is only valid for movies and which I have enabled in any case (it is in blue color). What more do I have to do?
Spatialize stereo is an iOS 15 feature unfortunately. You’d go into control center and long press the volume bar with the APM/APP playing music and press the spatialize stereo button (same as the spatialized audio button) to enable it. Note that iOS 15 also has head tracking music for Dolby Atmos too. The head tracking for both of these can be a little annoying if you’re moving around though. It’s an interesting experience.

I really do miss Tyll. Despite his preferences, I always found him to be a very fair reviewer, even if the headphone wasn’t his preference of sound. I always strived to mimic that when I was doing my reviews back then.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #4,697 of 5,629
I really do miss Tyll. Despite his preferences, I always found him to be a very fair reviewer, even if the headphone wasn’t his preference of sound. I always strived to mimic that when I was doing my reviews back then.

Tyll was so good, because he wasn’t overdramatic/journalistic. So many reviewers use hyperbole, and terms like ‘best true wireless ever’ etc. But Tyll saw the uniqueness of each headphone, I always remember his review of the Mh40 which was bang on.

The big headphone reviewers now are a bit too clinical for my liking. Tyll had a way with words and expression without making endless comments about mids, sub bass, highs, etc, and when he gave those one liners you just understood what sound to expect.

Z & DMS live in a world of hyperbole and mood. They swing all over the place. Headphoneshow is decent I guess…

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #4,698 of 5,629
Spatialize stereo is an iOS 15 feature unfortunately. You’d go into control center and long press the volume bar with the APM/APP playing music and press the spatialize stereo button (same as the spatialized audio button) to enable it. Note that iOS 15 also has head tracking music for Dolby Atmos too. The head tracking for both of these can be a little annoying if you’re moving around though. It’s an interesting experience.

I was not aware you are a reviewer. Do you still write or cooperate with media in the audio sector? Thanks a lot for your info about spatialize stereo. I will for sure enable it when we get iOS 15, together with head tracking.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #4,700 of 5,629
Tyll was so good, because he wasn’t overdramatic/journalistic. So many reviewers use hyperbole, and terms like ‘best true wireless ever’ etc. But Tyll saw the uniqueness of each headphone, I always remember his review of the Mh40 which was bang on.

The big headphone reviewers now are a bit too clinical for my liking. Tyll had a way with words and expression without making endless comments about mids, sub bass, highs, etc, and when he gave those one liners you just understood what sound to expect.

Z & DMS live in a world of hyperbole and mood. They swing all over the place. Headphoneshow is decent I guess…
Loved his takes. I like reviewing in a more down to earth way like that myself. I do like to try and see where each headphone can bring something interesting to the music.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #4,701 of 5,629
I have been trying to get used to the Airpods Max. I have a few more days to decide if they're going back, but I've already gone back to my WH-1000XM3. The new features are a nice idea but the sound quality just isn't for me. It reminds me of why I can't stand Bose headphones, in that everything sounds electronically re-sampled. The Sonys are more natural sounding, and if I want I can apply some tricks with their app but I've never found a need to.

Because I'm not listening to them any more, they're going back. Too much $ to spend if I'm not going to use them. I went all in on accessories, so will be selling a like-new package of them including a real hard case, wired cable, silicone skins and a USB-C charger.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #4,702 of 5,629
I was not aware you are a reviewer. Do you still write or cooperate with media in the audio sector? Thanks a lot for your info about spatialize stereo. I will for sure enable it when we get iOS 15, together with head tracking.
This was about 8 years ago. I kind of left head-fi for a long while while I went to school and the blog/forum I wrote for died down. It actually wasn’t an audio/headphone blog/forum either since it focused mainly on iPhones, iPods, and iPads, so the reviews were tailored that direction. That said, I haven’t written since so I’m not longer an amateur reviewer (it wasn’t a paid gig, but I did get to keep the review samples I received). This was all a very long time ago.

Definitely try out the feature when you get to iOS 15. It’s interesting and cool. Though I still see it sort of gimmicky. It kind of pushes a 3D effect on the headphones. If you are using an iPhone though, you could boost the upper midrange a bit by using one of the Headphone Accommodations that Apple offers (balanced on the lowest would be my go to if I had to choose one).
I have been trying to get used to the Airpods Max. I have a few more days to decide if they're going back, but I've already gone back to my WH-1000XM3. The new features are a nice idea but the sound quality just isn't for me. It reminds me of why I can't stand Bose headphones, in that everything sounds electronically re-sampled. The Sonys are more natural sounding, and if I want I can apply some tricks with their app but I've never found a need to.

Because I'm not listening to them any more, they're going back. Too much $ to spend if I'm not going to use them. I went all in on accessories, so will be selling a like-new package of them including a real hard case, wired cable, silicone skins and a USB-C charger.
I’m not sure where you purchased the accessories from, but see if they’re still returnable. A lot of places may even do store credit :wink:

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #4,703 of 5,629
This was about 8 years ago. I kind of left head-fi for a long while while I went to school and the blog/forum I wrote for died down. It actually wasn’t an audio/headphone blog/forum either since it focused mainly on iPhones, iPods, and iPads, so the reviews were tailored that direction. That said, I haven’t written since so I’m not longer an amateur reviewer (it wasn’t a paid gig, but I did get to keep the review samples I received). This was all a very long time ago.

Definitely try out the feature when you get to iOS 15. It’s interesting and cool. Though I still see it sort of gimmicky. It kind of pushes a 3D effect on the headphones. If you are using an iPhone though, you could boost the upper midrange a bit by using one of the Headphone Accommodations that Apple offers (balanced on the lowest would be my go to if I had to choose one).

I’m not sure where you purchased the accessories from, but see if they’re still returnable. A lot of places may even do store credit :wink:
I will definitely try your above suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #4,704 of 5,629
This is clearly false info. There is no country or region specific update in Apple products, period. Or give us a link of such formal info coming from Apple. The only region specific is App Store, but it has nothing to do with the firmware and software updates of all products. It's one update for all Apple products, without any region specific differentiation.
1 example is Siri not available Globally in every Country.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #4,705 of 5,629
I think Siri works everywhere. She just doesn't speak every language.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #4,706 of 5,629
Dolby Atmos sometimes fail completely.

Atmos version:

Normal version:

I know which one I prefer.
Edit: when listening with APM.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #4,707 of 5,629
It makes me wish there was a quick and easy toggle between Dolby Atmos and normal versions of tracks.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,708 of 5,629
Dolby Atmos sometimes fail completely.

Atmos version:

Normal version:

I know which one I prefer.
Edit: when listening with APM.
Tunes modified with Atmos on iTunes do sound closer to what I'd accept but the same track on Tidal still sounds better using my APP's and other gear. The gap is wider with my non-Apple gear as well. Just an observation. I'm on 14.6 on my iPhone and 11.4 on my MacBook.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #4,709 of 5,629
1 example is Siri not available Globally in every Country.
What does Siri have to do with a headphone?? Why would ever an Apple headphone have a different firmware in UK than the rest of the world? Siri, Apple Pay etc are apps and services. APM is a product and its firmware is the same all around. Brexit will not have an influence on it, no issues there! :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #4,710 of 5,629

Please let me know something; by gimmicky you mean too processed, too DSP involving, not natural sounding, or just a marketing ploy? Is it still missing the lossless openness of a good wired HP by far, or is it coming kind of closer to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back