AirPods Max
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #4,307 of 5,629
Netflix doesn't support it yet... Last checked, they don't have plans to.

Well everything through the AirPods Max will be re-encoded to AAC anyways. Unless you're wired using the adapter cable.
As I said previously, and just to be clear, when you have spatial audio output then you are using an Apple defined codec. (see previous)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #4,308 of 5,629
Thanks for coming back to me! I’ve got Shure SE215 with impedance 17 ohms and sensitivity 107 db. My iPhone is an EU one.
I think I might of given you outdated info regarding the output voltage. Last time I read about that was a few iOS versions back…….
Living in the UK post Brexit it’s hard to know what our phones and dongles output anymore so I did a little experiment. Within ios14 you can set the volume level to a maximum of 100db manually. Using my HD660S (120 ohm open back headphone ) when I turn this OFF (no limit) and turn the volume to maximum it gets very loud, my comfort(listening) level is about 2-3 clicks from max volume like this. When I turn it ON and set it to 100db I would say it it’s the equivalent volume of about 2 clicks from maximum when it’s turned OFF.
I’ve not got the equipment to test the voltages but this would suggest that there is no 0.5 v limit being applied to the lightning dongle here in the UK anymore based on my basic experiment.
(I think the limit is applied manually when we turn on ‘reduce loud sounds’)

basically, if my HD660S can get very loud on the dongle here in the Uk then it’ll have no trouble driving your Shures to dangerous levels.
of you want to make sure you have got full output potential though make sure you go into sound/ haptic settings, headphone safety, turn off ‘reduce loud sounds’.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,310 of 5,629
The Lightning dongle is lossless, but not the hi-res lossless.
Yes yes I know, that’s why I wrote 24/48. While I cannot say there is a huge difference from AAC files over wired headphones, I can hear a definite improvement with lossless and wired iems. Still I prefer the APM sound overall though!

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,311 of 5,629
I think I might of given you outdated info regarding the output voltage. Last time I read about that was a few iOS versions back…….
Living in the UK post Brexit it’s hard to know what our phones and dongles output anymore so I did a little experiment. Within ios14 you can set the volume level to a maximum of 100db manually. Using my HD660S (120 ohm open back headphone ) when I turn this OFF (no limit) and turn the volume to maximum it gets very loud, my comfort(listening) level is about 2-3 clicks from max volume like this. When I turn it ON and set it to 100db I would say it it’s the equivalent volume of about 2 clicks from maximum when it’s turned OFF.
I’ve not got the equipment to test the voltages but this would suggest that there is no 0.5 v limit being applied to the lightning dongle here in the UK anymore based on my basic experiment.
(I think the limit is applied manually when we turn on ‘reduce loud sounds’)

basically, if my HD660S can get very loud on the dongle here in the Uk then it’ll have no trouble driving your Shures to dangerous levels.
of you want to make sure you have got full output potential though make sure you go into sound/ haptic settings, headphone safety, turn off ‘reduce loud sounds’.
Thanks a lot for the update. There has never been volume output limit on any UK iPhone. I have had 2 British iPhones in the past and they had no limit. My current EU one though has it for sure. But still, wired iems present plenty volume output even on the capped iPhone so it does not seem to be a problem!

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #4,313 of 5,629
for me these are hands down the best wireless anc headphone I have tried. I prefer APM over Shure Aonic 50, B&W PX7, Sony XM4.
You are absolutely right, I also have said that many times here. It’s not only the sound though, I am always absolutely stunned of how comfortable they are even while being that heavy! I don’t feel the weight at all, no pressure points anywhere. It’s the first time in my life I can wear a pair of over ears practically for ever without having any discomfort! Apple did a marvelous job in the design and anatomical approach of the APM. Add to that a really balanced but still punchy and deep sound and you get all you need from a wireless set.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #4,314 of 5,629
@tinyman392
Have you noticed any difference in sound on normal stereo tracks with the new firmware 3E756? At first quick listen I thought everything sounds the same but after a more thorough listen I think sound is more balanced, upper mids come through richer, bass seems a tad more detailed and anc seems better with sudden high pitch noises. Is it placebo or actually there?

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,315 of 5,629
@tinyman392
Have you noticed any difference in sound on normal stereo tracks with the new firmware 3E756? At first quick listen I thought everything sounds the same but after a more thorough listen I think sound is more balanced, upper mids come through richer, bass seems a tad more detailed and anc seems better with sudden high pitch noises. Is it placebo or actually there?
I haven’t noticed anything myself.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #4,317 of 5,629
I’m 99% sure the Dolby Atmos being used here is lossy. It isn’t using the same file, the pause between switching is while it buffers the new file.
I think you’re right. It switches instantaneously so it seems that way.

Still not sure I’m sold on Atmos. I like the idea in theory, but the problem with having even the best software replicate an artificial sense of space is that the individual elements seem to have less clarity. I’m not sure I like everything feeling distant. I.e. The open-back Audeze iSine with lossless music would sound better with an open soundstage than the Powerbeats Pro with Dolby Atmos.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #4,318 of 5,629
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,319 of 5,629
I thought that it is worthwhile to make clear what the difference between Dolby Atmos and (Apple) Spatial Audio is with respect to transmission and codecs.
  • Dolby Atmos is a format and decoder that is in the operating system that outputs to the mixer, which is then encoded in AAC to your Bluetooth headphones including AirPods, Bose, Sony etc. Example Apple Music
  • Spatial Audio is an output format that replaces the AAC output encoding with Apple special sauce working only on Apple stuff, which allows head tracking and probably other psychoacoustic technology we know little about. Example, Bruce Springsteen's documentary on Apple TV.
Note (1): You can have stereo input and Spatial Audio output
Note (2): Dolby Atmos + Spatial Audio may be a different audio experience since one is an input format and one is an output format. This doesn't mean today they are different...
That "special sauce" gets lost when not using the APM. I think you are on to something there.

I did Apple Music tracks Dolby Atmos through M1 MacBook Pro-->Airplay-->Hugo2/2go-->Erzitech tube amp-->Focal Stellia.
Not as impressive as same tracks via APM and spatial audio.

That being said. Roon streaming the track to the same chain lossless is still better. Is it 6-7x better? I think so. But then I'm the one that laid down the cash so I'm slightly biased.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,320 of 5,629
I think you’re right. It switches instantaneously so it seems that way.

Still not sure I’m sold on Atmos. I like the idea in theory, but the problem with having even the best software replicate an artificial sense of space is that the individual elements seem to have less clarity. I’m not sure I like everything feeling distant. I.e. The open-back Audeze iSine with lossless music would sound better with an open soundstage than the Powerbeats Pro with Dolby Atmos.
It does make the APM far more interesting and engaging.

If someone never heard a fairly decent (not going to suggest how expensive) headphone setup, it'll be amazing to them.

I was very underwhelmed with Apple Music Dolby Atmos through my Meridian sound system in my car. Supposedly the system can decode dolby surround. I heard no appreciable difference. Maybe a CarPlay thing. But I agree, just "spatializing" music won't give you better sound compared to a decent headphone setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back