AirPods Max
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,321 of 5,629
It does make the APM far more interesting and engaging.

If someone never heard a fairly decent (not going to suggest how expensive) headphone setup, it'll be amazing to them.

I was very underwhelmed with Apple Music Dolby Atmos through my Meridian sound system in my car. Supposedly the system can decode dolby surround. I heard no appreciable difference. Maybe a CarPlay thing. But I agree, just "spatializing" music won't give you better sound compared to a decent headphone setup.
That’s why I’m reserving ultimate judgement until I hear it on AirPods Max.

I’ve finally found at least one album that’s a good example of Dolby Atmos. The Verge used “Paparazzi” as a standout Atmos track. I also agree with their consensus that for every one good Dolby Atmos track there are a dozen that sound worse than their stereo versions.

This was mixed well in Atmos, and provides a completely different perspective and experience on these songs:

Before posting, I just noticed the track I’m listening to right now “LoveGame” wasn’t mixed in Atmos and still sounds amazing in Lossless — possibly better than Atmos if I’m being honest. The imaging and separation is already superb in the stereo version, so I think it benefits from that and also makes it harder to tell the difference. “Just Dance” and “Paparazzi” are encoded in Atmos.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #4,322 of 5,629
I know a lot of people where talking about this, but Spatial Audio for TV OS is confirmed by Apple today.

Listening to the Weeknd's latest album on Spatial Audio with my APM and I am quite impressed! Likely the best consumer audio experience I've had yet.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #4,323 of 5,629
If you're after the sense of space, Dolby Atmos on Apple Music falls flat on its face. The expansion of the sound stage is marginal at best, if there is one at all. When I heard about Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio for Apple Music, what I imagined was binaural recordings, but done using DSP. To be frank, I didn't even get that. Or maybe they were trying to go for that and do have quite a bit of room for improvement (IMO).

The only saving grace for it is that to my ears, it's a lot less "stuffy;" there is a lot less congestion that happens and it adds a ton of dynamics to the music. By that same token, not everything is the same volume, the balance between instruments differs; some of my friends hate this portion of it while I absolutely love it. Gives the music a lot of interplay and the mixer some freedom to kind of give it their twist that they want on it. The result tends to create something that sort of sounds like it's trying to be live though, but those do a much better job conveying space.

So during all my testing I preferred to listen to Atmos out of my more neutral headphones (Euclid, Etymotic, Mobius, etc.). They're all closed back and with the exception of the Euclid, none really do well with sound stage in general; they tend to give you something a bit more intimate or portray what's there. I will admit that with those set ups, most of the recordings sound a lot more natural to my ears. I did eventually go around to plopping on a pair of open-backed headphones, my HiFiMan Ananda BT. I never really noticed a sound stage with the headphone, it was always excellent with separation, but I never noticed a sound stage. Well, I did notice it with the Atmos recordings. While the Mobius was able to create a sense of space with it's head tracking by placing the sound in front of me, it was still quite intimate and small. The Ananda seemed to give a wider presentation than I'm used to. That said, I still don't get the sense of true distance, just bigger. I don't get the sense of a room or even other there or in that direction, even with the Ananda.

One thing I will note, since it's been mentioned constantly, vocals are pushed back. The only fix for this is to have a linear setup, many would call it analytical or mid-focused. So a V-shaped headphone will definitely end up worsening this aspect to the music.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #4,324 of 5,629
The more I listen, the more I feel it's hit and miss depending on the music. At times, the music feels distant and less clear, and I don't care for the recessed vocals on some albums. Old jazz and classical benefit, but some other music is less engaging and immediate with Atmos. You'd think the way Apple is taunting this it would be a clear improvement on everything, and at the very least wouldn't make things worse. Basically, at this point I would not listen to a piece in Atmos without verifying how it sounds in regular stereo. Kind of annoying to have to check every track that way.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #4,325 of 5,629
The more I listen, the more I feel it's hit and miss depending on the music. At times, the music feels distant and less clear, and I don't care for the recessed vocals on some albums. Old jazz and classical benefit, but some other music is less engaging and immediate with Atmos. You'd think the way Apple is taunting this it would be a clear improvement on everything, and at the very least wouldn't make things worse. Basically, at this point I would not listen to a piece in Atmos without verifying how it sounds in regular stereo. Kind of annoying to have to check every track that way.
Right, I don’t trust that Atmos will definitively be the better version. Long-term I could see myself disabling it, but I don’t listen to a ton of music on headphones lately anyway so I don’t mind continuing to give it a chance.

Considering the way they’re marketing this I was expecting to be blown away the first time I heard it, and instead was immediately disappointed. There are plenty of times I’ve had my mind blown by new audio gear especially, and this wasn’t one of them.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #4,328 of 5,629
That being said, when using Bluetooth Explorer, the codec is indicated as 256kbps AAC. I have a feeling that we're rather bumping against a terminology issue than something truly different.
There isn't really a big difference between 256Kbps since it is 262,144 bps and the Apple developer document is 264,630 bps. Why the difference? Apple doesn't send AAC as constant bit rate (CBR), rather it uses variable bit rate (VBR).... In VBR in Bluetooth you put in the maximum peak bit rate rather than the actual bit rate in CBR, thus the average bit rate is usually lower and that agrees with what I see on the Mac where it rarely gets close to (roughly) 256Kbps.

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #4,330 of 5,629
I’ve gotta say, I’m starting to re-evaluate the entire need for headphone amps.

I’m listening to my 6XX straight out of my iPad via the $9 Apple dongle and Lossless sounds incredible.
Funnily enough I tried my HD660S yesterday, I was testing to see if the dongle here in the uk is ‘unlocked’ to provide its full 1V output. The good news is it is, so it can get the HD660S easily loud enough to enjoy, it sounded great!

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #4,331 of 5,629
I imagine we'll see it released somewhere around June 7th to 11th, maybe a bit later. That's when WWDC is happening for Apple. They'll have the new iOS and Mac OS beta, but a point release of the current version with some new features will probably be released around that time.

I hope it's not the next big release, as that won't happen until the fall and my post is maybe a little pre-mature.
Just to confirm that iOS 15 introduces the functionality of scanning an audiogram for compensating hearing loss, in addition to importing one from an app. It didn't work on mine (it's a French audiogram, so maybe there are differences in presentation), but I then had the opportunity to enter the numbers for each frequency.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #4,332 of 5,629
Just to confirm that iOS 15 introduces the functionality of scanning an audiogram for compensating hearing loss, in addition to importing one from an app. It didn't work on mine (it's a French audiogram, so maybe there are differences in presentation), but I then had the opportunity to enter the numbers for each frequency.
Oh nice, thanks for reporting. So you effectively can put whatever numbers you want?

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,333 of 5,629
Oh nice, thanks for reporting. So you effectively can put whatever numbers you want?
Yes, for each frequency that seem to be standard for an audiogram (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz and 8kHz), and left and right ear. I guess it kind of makes it an EQ capacity, except we don't know exactly how the loss is compensated.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #4,334 of 5,629
Yes, for each frequency that seem to be standard for an audiogram (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz and 8kHz), and left and right ear. I guess it kind of makes it an EQ capacity, except we don't know exactly how the loss is compensated.
I like how system wide this is, for my hearing loss, this helps a lot on a phone call or while watching a video.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #4,335 of 5,629
Funnily enough I tried my HD660S yesterday, I was testing to see if the dongle here in the uk is ‘unlocked’ to provide its full 1V output. The good news is it is, so it can get the HD660S easily loud enough to enjoy, it sounded great!
Funny that people discover that now. Somebody like Ken Rockwell described Apple's cheap dongle already in 2017, saying: 'Most 3rd-party headphone amps and DACs, all be they bigger and far more expensive, put out less clean power into 32Ω loads, and do it with more distortion, poorer sound and lousier frequency response.' https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back