AirPods Max
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #4,293 of 5,629
If you select download in Dolby Atmos in ios Settings for Music App,- see picture below.
does this mean we can still listen in lossless when offline or is it atmos?

D98FAD12-4DE8-444D-B56C-6B2C27EFCA95.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #4,294 of 5,629
I need to ask you all something; Does the Apple iPhone dongle (lightning to 3,5’), the one which was included to previous iPhone boxes, provide lossless output, if I enable lossless streaming in the Music app settings? I mean, if I plug wired headphones (my Shure In ears for example) in that Apple dongle will I get 24/48 audio?? Thanks in advance!

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #4,295 of 5,629
I need to ask you all something; Does the Apple iPhone dongle (lightning to 3,5’), the one which was included to previous iPhone boxes, provide lossless output, if I enable lossless streaming in the Music app settings? I mean, if I plug wired headphones (my Shure In ears for example) in that Apple dongle will I get 24/48 audio?? Thanks in advance!
Yes you will. It’s actually a very good performer as well. If you have low power or sensitive iems / headphones it’s performance will be transparent ie you won’t hear better with more expensive or more powerful equipment. The only reason to upgrade the dongle is if you require more power. The dongle is capped at 1v outside the EU and 0.5v in the EU.
I’ve got the 1v version and it easily drives my sennheiser IE900 which have an impedance of 16ohms.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #4,296 of 5,629
Yes you will. It’s actually a very good performer as well. If you have low power or sensitive iems / headphones it’s performance will be transparent ie you won’t hear better with more expensive or more powerful equipment. The only reason to upgrade the dongle is if you require more power. The dongle is capped at 1v outside the EU and 0.5v in the EU.
I’ve got the 1v version and it easily drives my sennheiser IE900 which have an impedance of 16ohms.
Thanks for coming back to me! I’ve got Shure SE215 with impedance 17 ohms and sensitivity 107 db. My iPhone is an EU one.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #4,297 of 5,629
If you select download in Dolby Atmos in ios Settings for Music App,- see picture below.
does this mean we can still listen in lossless when offline or is it atmos?

D98FAD12-4DE8-444D-B56C-6B2C27EFCA95.jpeg
It will play Atmos for tracks that support it (new downloads only). Then it will download lossless (if you've enabled it; again new downloads only) if it's available. After it will default to the 256 AAC iTunes+ quality. Note that it does not automatically update your already downloaded data.
The Lightning dongle is lossless, but not the hi-res lossless.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4,298 of 5,629
It will play Atmos for tracks that support it (new downloads only). Then it will download lossless (if you've enabled it; again new downloads only) if it's available. After it will default to the 256 AAC iTunes+ quality. Note that it does not automatically update your already downloaded data.

The Lightning dongle is lossless, but not the hi-res lossless.
Oh no. I will have to download by Albums again. This morning I downloaded 50 Albums with this setting on. I don’t have Airpod Max and so can only take advantage of lossless.

but it does show lossless when playing most the Albums I downloaded even with my non Apple headphones.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,299 of 5,629
Oh no. I will have to download by Albums again. This morning I downloaded 50 Albums with this setting on. I don’t have Airpod Max and so can only take advantage of lossless.

but it does show lossless when playing most the Albums I downloaded even with my non Apple headphones.
Oh that's interesting, so it downloaded both? That's quite interesting. The "automatic" setting has it set to only play Atmos with Apple headphones.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,301 of 5,629
I thought that it is worthwhile to make clear what the difference between Dolby Atmos and (Apple) Spatial Audio is with respect to transmission and codecs.
  • Dolby Atmos is a format and decoder that is in the operating system that outputs to the mixer, which is then encoded in AAC to your Bluetooth headphones including AirPods, Bose, Sony etc. Example Apple Music
  • Spatial Audio is an output format that replaces the AAC output encoding with Apple special sauce working only on Apple stuff, which allows head tracking and probably other psychoacoustic technology we know little about. Example, Bruce Springsteen's documentary on Apple TV.
Note (1): You can have stereo input and Spatial Audio output
Note (2): Dolby Atmos + Spatial Audio may be a different audio experience since one is an input format and one is an output format. This doesn't mean today they are different...

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #4,302 of 5,629
I thought that it is worthwhile to make clear what the difference between Dolby Atmos and (Apple) Spatial Audio is with respect to transmission and codecs.
  • Dolby Atmos is a format and decoder that is in the operating system that outputs to the mixer, which is then encoded in AAC to your Bluetooth headphones including AirPods, Bose, Sony etc. Example Apple Music
  • Spatial Audio is an output format that replaces the AAC output encoding with Apple special sauce working only on Apple stuff, which allows head tracking and probably other psychoacoustic technology we know little about. Example, Bruce Springsteen's documentary on Apple TV.
Note (1): You can have stereo input and Spatial Audio output
Note (2): Dolby Atmos + Spatial Audio may be a different audio experience since one is an input format and one is an output format. This doesn't mean today they are different...
So maybe Spatail Audio with Airpod Max is higher resolution then the limited/compressed
AAC codec used?

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #4,303 of 5,629
I will get Airpod Max as soon as AppleTV4k supports it to APM for iTunes Movies, Netflix and Disney+. Will then sell my Sony WH1000XM4.
Netflix doesn't support it yet... Last checked, they don't have plans to.
So maybe Spatail Audio with Airpod Max is higher resolution then the limited/compressed
AAC codec used?
Well everything through the AirPods Max will be re-encoded to AAC anyways. Unless you're wired using the adapter cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back