AirPods Max
Feb 26, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #3,331 of 5,629
I’ll await for others’ feedback.

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #3,332 of 5,629
What does everyone do about the condensation issue?
For those that do have condensation, what is your solution?

I don't do anything as I haven't noticed that it caused any issue so far.
But I'd certainly welcome FR curve measurements before / after - particularly since it's deposited on the driver, and it's only in the longer term that we'll truly now whether it poses a reliability risk or not.
All the problems you mentioned you experienced could have been caused by something else.

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #3,333 of 5,629
I don't do anything as I haven't noticed that it caused any issue so far.
But I'd certainly welcome FR curve measurements before / after - particularly since it's deposited on the driver, and it's only in the longer term that we'll truly now whether it poses a reliability risk or not.
All the problems you mentioned you experienced could have been caused by something else.
Guess it would have to be to dry it with a towel after every use at home. Not very ideal.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,335 of 5,629
I don’t want the water to get into the drivers. I’m not doing anything to induce annoyance. How you react is out of my control.

I’ll wait and see what others might suggest for tips that are diplomatic. If not, H95 and the Amiron are on my radar.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #3,336 of 5,629
I don’t want the water to get into the drivers. I’m not doing anything to induce annoyance. How you react is out of my control.

I’ll wait and see what others might suggest for tips that are diplomatic. If not, H95 and the Amiron are on my radar.

Water is deposited on the driver membrane. There is no evidence that it gets to the other side (where the voice coil and magnets are).
As has already been said in this thread, no one has noticed so far detrimental behaviours that could be definitely attributed to water droplets being deposited on various areas of the ear cavity.
The only thing you should be concerned about is whether or not Apple has thoroughly thought this through, and it's not something we can know for now. We need more data and more time.

Diplomacy can only go so far when one can't be reasoned with. There are no tips to give, because the occurrence of water droplets will necessarily occur with most well sealed closed back headphones one way or another (and ANC headphones always are pretty well sealed), you can't prevent water to be deposited on the driver membrane if the materials it's made with and the headphones' design are conductive to this sort of behaviour, you certainly can't get to the drivers to "dry it with a towel" given that it's behind the grill + mesh - and if you did you'd damage them for sure, and in the absence of noticeable detrimental behaviour you don't need to dry them periodically. And they will dry on their own no matter what when you take them off your head.

Basically, the only thing you can do is decide whether or not you're going to trust Apple's engineering and services on that matter. Or Bose's. Or Sony's. Or B&O's. All closed back headphones, particularly ANC ones, are thoroughly sealed and will induce the occurrence of water deposits on various areas of the ear cavity. Even the H95 : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/airpods-max.949152/post-16087009

This is getting irrationally tiring.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #3,337 of 5,629
I have a silent dehumidifier in my conservatory if I ever listen to my headphones out there when it’s high humidity, there is then zero moisture for my open backs, but fully enclosed won’t help, but if taking a breather once an hour for a max of 1 minute they will totally dry out. This takes humidity from about 70 to 35 in less than 10 minutes.
my dehumidifier although not for everyone ensures my equipment never has any issues.
I used to wear my Sony’s to the gym but realised after a couple of visits why people wear in ear. They would be dripping in the earcups.

Attachments

• D24AADEA-1649-4BA7-8BCE-92F30CFFD723.jpeg
    D24AADEA-1649-4BA7-8BCE-92F30CFFD723.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,338 of 5,629
This is like preferring Casio over Patek Philippe. Sure, both show you the time, but one is much better. APM has clearly better materials, superb engineering and internal design compared to H95. There's a reason why people find B&O products overpriced (I prefer Sony tvs to B&O anytime). You can claim that H95 sounds better, which is of course subjective in this case, but you cannot say that the quality of internals is not important. Quality materials and good engineering are important in any product. If you say internals don't matter at all, I have a hard time believing any of your comments.
Angelom is on a crusade. Crusaders mostly don’t care about arguments.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3,339 of 5,629
I’ll await for others’ feedback.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in prior postings (not just your posts). The consensus is there is nothing to do. The feedback is already here for you in this thread. Search back for more information. The discussion will change as others have said if the problem grows in frequency for users or proves to cause damage to the headphone itself. I’ve had the APM since December. I’ve never had the issue.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #3,340 of 5,629
Meaning it was not meant for some to own. I’m fine with awaiting others’ feedback as you did while I check other threads. Cheers to those who have chimed in

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #3,341 of 5,629
Angelom is on a crusade. Crusaders mostly don’t care about arguments.

Thank you for your objective wisdom that is so invaluable.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,343 of 5,629
For those wanting music that demos apm well, I just found this electronic artist who is blowing my mind and the production is amazing. https://tidal.com/album/113460311 or everyone will love. I still think benee and self tape also rock apm best too.
Excellent recommendation. Still listening. If you haven't yet, check out the first few tracks of Yosi Horikawa's Vapor. You might enjoy it. I'm turning into an unabashed Yosi Horikawa evangelist.

On a side note (directed to all thread participants): I'm of the opinion that "properly" equalizing the APM can do wonders for the sound (above and beyond fiddling with Accommodations Settings). This of course means using the iTunes equalizer (unfortunately) and losing the portability of a phone/tablet when you do.

I do think it's worth it when you're near a MacOS device. Soundstage and resolution (to my ears) improve noticeably. And the sound seems richer/thicker as well. I'm always reluctant to say this stuff, because really I'm a novice when it comes to sound, but you know, I guess I felt like it today.

Edit: I know this is not a new, revelatory revelation. Just felt like adding.:smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,344 of 5,629

I contacted the Apple support for the condensation effect. They told me to dab the drops with a little towel, that’s all. BTW, the H95 has the same issue, maybe little bit less, but not much. I don’t think that you will get a damage. I use my KEF Space One Wireless for sports and there goes a lot of condensation and sweat inside. Never had any problems.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,345 of 5,629
Meaning it was not meant for some to own. I’m fine with awaiting others’ feedback as you did while I check other threads. Cheers to those who have chimed in
My APMs always have condensation because its really humid where I live, and it's common for all my headphones, except for most of my other headphones, it's usually more difficult to remove the ear pads, and not as easy to see the drivers themselves within a few seconds.

In spite of the condensation, I've not noticed any SQ issues, nor reliability issues that can be attributed to condensation. They work fine 99% of the time, except when the bluetooth just drops out on both my APMs and my Apple Watch... could be the iOS 14.5 beta I'm on...? I've had ANC issues with one side of the APM ONCE in the almost 2 months that I've had them, and a hard reset solved it. I've never had any connection issues with my QC35ii so I am kinda disappointed but not devastated. I am getting a lot in return.

I've also lodged a support ticket with Apple and a Senior Engineer spoke to me over the phone, offering me useless assurances that everything is working as normal and that condensation is normal. I'll continue monitoring if there is damage or depreciation to the SQ over time because of this. I bought the APM with my own money, so while I do love them very much, I'm not blinded. I'm almost always listening to my HD800S at the desk... but when I'm out of the house, it's the APM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back