AirPods Max
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,403 of 5,629
Most people online have had it happen to them with long listening sessions. Mine happened during a long, indoor listening session while inactive (coding on my computer). It only happened once (within 24 hours of receiving the headphone) and never repeated itself in the 3+ weeks I've had the headphone. I even brought it outside to shovel snow twice in two days to try to force the issue (long, outdoor, cold listening session while being active).
Thanks. 👍 You don't sound too worried about it...?!

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,404 of 5,629
Correct. AppleTV currently lacks localization infrastructure. I think they’ll add it for AR in the next generation.

Edit: they added Atmos to the HomePod for the 4K TV

That makes sense. It wouldn’t be like Apple to make users have to center their audio manually.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #2,405 of 5,629
I had the condensation effect for the first time when wearing them outside for nearly one hour and then came back indoors. Yesterday I had the effect when wearing them in home office for nearly 4 hours. But it was not so much water drops lIke the first time. I noticed another issue. While listening to music with ANC on, a phone call comes in. During the phone call I switched from ANC to transparency mode and after the call back to ANC. But the ANC did only work in one earcup. Had this issue two times. A reset (Push crown and ANC Button simutanously til the led blinks orange solved the problem.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,406 of 5,629
Thanks. 👍 You don't sound too worried about it...?!

The issue is I don't know what the actual cause of it is... Until that is hammered down, we can't know how major the issue is and how widespread it is. When it first happened to me, I simply assumed that it was due to the fact that the headphones spent 24-48 hours in cold fuselages and delivery trucks (they aren't heated) in below freezing weather. Then went into a warm room-temperature house and condensation happened. I'm almost wanting to leave them in my cold car for a few hours powered off to see if the issue happens again. I'm also partially afraid that will cause the issue and maybe to a worser extent as it won't be in a sealed box to protect it as much.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,407 of 5,629
For me it's just long sessions that does it. They've stayed home at the same temp for days for now. I've seen it happens on other closed ANC headphones too, but the one thing that I noticed are the droplets on the ring corresponding to the coil on the driver. I haven't looked into it much with other headphones but I can't remember noticing that on the ones I could have an easy access to the drivers. On the plus side it means that the APMs are sealing pretty well on my ears :D.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2,408 of 5,629
I’m a daily user of the APM for hours and hours at a time. For what it’s worth, condensation has never occurred. Nor have my ears ever been sweaty from use. When I wore the XM3 for even short sessions (under an hour), “sweaty ear” made me most uncomfortable just about every time. The APM is such a relief in this regard (for me).

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #2,409 of 5,629
For me it's just long sessions that does it. They've stayed home at the same temp for days for now. I've seen it happens on other closed ANC headphones too, but the one thing that I noticed are the droplets on the ring corresponding to the coil on the driver. I haven't looked into it much with other headphones but I can't remember noticing that on the ones I could have an easy access to the drivers. On the plus side it means that the APMs are sealing pretty well on my ears :D.

Has anyone else with the issue tried letting them air dry in open air with the pads off and drivers facing upward? I don't feel like the airflow would be adequate enough to dry if the APM are in their case (worse case scenario) and removing the pads would allow better airflow. I ended up placing my on my desk close to where one of my air vents is located (for heat/AC).

I’m a daily user of the APM for hours and hours at a time. For what it’s worth, condensation has never occurred. Nor have my ears ever been sweaty from use. When I wore the XM3 for even short sessions (under an hour), “sweaty ear” made me most uncomfortable just about every time. The APM is such a relief in this regard (for me).

The APM get warm for me, for closed backs, I don't know how much better you can really get in terms of heat. I'm still not certain sweat is the cause of the condensation issue.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,410 of 5,629
Has anyone else with the issue tried letting them air dry in open air with the pads off and drivers facing upward? I don't feel like the airflow would be adequate enough to dry if the APM are in their case (worse case scenario) and removing the pads would allow better airflow. I ended up placing my on my desk close to where one of my air vents is located (for heat/AC).

The APM get warm for me, for closed backs, I don't know how much better you can really get in terms of heat. I'm still not certain sweat is the cause of the condensation issue.

It may not be. Dunno. There have been a “flood” (liquid reference pun intended) of condensation posts, so I wanted to provide an alternate user experience.

Also, in reference to another post, I also experienced ANC loss in one ear, one time, fixed immediately by a soft reset.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,411 of 5,629
It may not be. Dunno. There have been a “flood” (liquid reference pun intended) of condensation posts, so I wanted to provide an alternate user experience.

Also, in reference to another post, I also experienced ANC loss in one ear, one time, fixed immediately by a soft reset.

That's another known software issue. Which interestingly enough, I got after the recent firmware update.

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,412 of 5,629
What were the specific circumstances when this occurred - indoors, outdoors, cold environment, warm environment...activity, length of time wearing them...? I'm looking at these but this looks worrying

Here's mine after a 45-minute walk. Not fussed about the external condensation but that ring of water around the coil… nah… That simply can't be good.

4373C20F-548E-4A34-8DAB-C871984F40BC_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,413 of 5,629
That's exactly the sort of droplets I get around the coil. Even at home (after wearing them for several hours). I'm tempted to provoke condensation in another pair of phones to see if I get the same droplets around the coil.
I don't think it likely that these droplets can actually get to the coil / magnets and the PCB boards. The entire front and rear acoustic areas are pretty well sealed. But they may pose problems with some of the electronics such as the inward facing mic ?

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 23.22.20.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 23.25.08.png

Photos from iFixit, annotations mine.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,415 of 5,629
I've had my B&W P7 wireless on for about three hours, indoors, sitting down, it's 15 degrees C...the pads come off easily, they're magnetic - no evidence of any moisture. Is it the aluminium ('aluminum'?!)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back