AirPods Max
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,416 of 5,629
I've had my B&W P7 wireless on for about three hours, indoors, sitting down, it's 15 degrees C...the pads come off easily, they're magnetic - no evidence of any moisture. Is it the aluminium ('aluminum'?!)?

I also never really noticed droplets on my pair of P7W's drivers but I no longer have them, and never really went looking for them. Besides they're not ANC headphones and I believe that the latter tend to be quite more thoroughly designed to be only minimally vented ? I never really felt the sort of seal with them that I seem to get from your typical ANC headphones.

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,418 of 5,629
I've had my B&W P7 wireless on for about three hours, indoors, sitting down, it's 15 degrees C...the pads come off easily, they're magnetic - no evidence of any moisture. Is it the aluminium ('aluminum'?!)?

If it' the aluminum, that would mean that the condensation likely starts where the aluminum is (behind the driver mainly) and works its way out. That's actually a very scary, but possible, thought. This was actually my initial assumption about where the water started from.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #2,419 of 5,629
@tkddans this might be something you want to watch. Granted it doesn’t directly relate to the APM, it may relate a bit indirectly.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,420 of 5,629
@tkddans this might be something you want to watch. Granted it doesn’t directly relate to the APM, it may relate a bit indirectly.

EDIT:: I thought the video would be an instrument test. I’ll watch the discussion though. Thanks for sharing!

Incidentally, I ordered a Harmonicdyne Zeus, a Stax SR-L300, and a Hifiman Sundara. Spoiler: returning Zeus and Sundara. I was more pleased with APM, from memory, than I am with the tuning of the Zeus and Sundara. Sundaras are good baby HD 800S’s, but I already have 800s hah. So no point.

EDIT: I’ve fallen in love with STAX. I’m hoping the APM returning to me will give me a great low end tuning where the STAX and 800’s aren’t.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #2,421 of 5,629

Just watched the video. Great share. Thanks!

Hearing how they talk about recordings, and actual distance from mics and such, it reminded me of how the APM may appear somehow to me as if they are "authentic." Is it the widest soundstage possible? No, but widest soundstage possible isn't necessarily realistic for all performances - like watching a jazz band on a small stage. In the literal sense of staging width, in real life, I don't really feel like the biggest "soundstage" headphones win for being wider. We always say wider is better in every comparison test. But maybe that really doesn't need to be true. Sometimes, width doesn't necessarily translate to how things would necessarily sound.

I did find the APM to sound "authentic" with staging, with some recordings like live acoustics and jazz performances.

I need to get a new pair back though to test again.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #2,422 of 5,629
Just watched the video. Great share. Thanks!

Hearing how they talk about recordings, and actual distance from mics and such, it reminded me of how the APM may appear somehow to me as if they are "authentic." Is it the widest soundstage possible? No, but widest soundstage possible isn't necessarily realistic for all performances - like watching a jazz band on a small stage. In the literal sense of staging width, in real life, I don't really feel like the biggest "soundstage" headphones win for being wider. We always say wider is better in every comparison test. But maybe that really doesn't need to be true. Sometimes, width doesn't necessarily translate to how things would necessarily sound.

I did find the APM to sound "authentic" with staging, with some recordings like live acoustics and jazz performances.

I need to get a new pair back though to test again.

Their discussion of the line between too clinical and "natural" sounding really does hit home. Despite the fact that I prefer more of a DF neutral sound, I do understand that this is a sound that is sought after quite a bit by many audiophiles (it kind of seems like audiophiles tend to go this direction with age :p); it's probably a reason why the Harman Target is very popular as well as it tries to create said compromise to the best of its ability. I will admit that the APM is also tending towards trying to do the same deal. The video reminded me about some of your statements regarding preferring the APM despite its faults.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #2,423 of 5,629
I would give a cheaper iteration more thought.

I love (at least, the idea of) what Apple has featured, but I personally do not see enough value in the current pricing and iteration of APM because the active-at-all-listening-times approach places a set lifespan on the battery. That said, if there were no pandemic, and I commuted via public transit, then chances are that the APM would be far far more attractive. Different circumstances definitely would change the value proposition.
I really like having the wireless convenience even in my home. I can just get off my desk and go to the kitchen or bathroom, and the music/podcast is still on. So even though the wired cans like HD800 sound better than an APM, and sitting on my desk, getting such a can would make more sense, even if they are more expensive, but the future of personal audio is definitely wireless. If Sennheiser and the likes cannot put the HD800 SQ in a wireless package in the next 3-4 years, it'd be difficult to find any reason to still purchase them. When I bought my Powerbeats Pro, I didn't find the SQ even comparable to my Westone ES60, however I end up using the Powerbeats more and more because cable is such an annoyance to deal with, especially at home. It can get tangled up in lots of stuff while walking, or doing chores.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,424 of 5,629
I really like having the wireless convenience even in my home. I can just get off my desk and go to the kitchen or bathroom, and the music/podcast is still on. So even though the wired cans like HD800 sound better than an APM, and sitting on my desk, getting such a can would make more sense, even if they are more expensive, but the future of personal audio is definitely wireless. If Sennheiser and the likes cannot put the HD800 SQ in a wireless package in the next 3-4 years, it'd be difficult to find any reason to still purchase them. When I bought my Powerbeats Pro, I didn't find the SQ even comparable to my Westone ES60, however I end up using the Powerbeats more and more because cable is such an annoyance to deal with, especially at home. It can get tangled up in lots of stuff while walking, or doing chores.

You might be able to find a BT cable for the ES60. I actually run my ER4 wirelessly with Etymotic’s cable. It looks like Westone’s only supports APT-X (no ACC), but there are alternatives like Shure’s that does. I’m not sure about the quality of DAC/amp they use though.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,425 of 5,629
You might be able to find a BT cable for the ES60. I actually run my ER4 wirelessly with Etymotic’s cable. It looks like Westone’s only supports APT-X (no ACC), but there are alternatives like Shure’s that does. I’m not sure about the quality of DAC/amp they use though.
I did look into it when they first released that cable, however there were too many complaints about drop outs so I didn't want to spend 150$ for a cable that'll barely work. Apple's BT earphones work flawlessly. And the sound quality I get from Powerbeats, while no match for ES60, is nothing to sneer at either. They sound better than the best of the best earphones I used 10 years ago.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #2,426 of 5,629
I think we must accepting that v-shape signature is very appealing for many people, and if the v-shape isn't exaggerating like in APM, this sound is easily liking and maybe wowing too. Many people listening very loud too and a more neutral/reference mids and treble reproduction can be fatiguing. This is, in big part, I think the success of xm3 and xm4. You noticing now that some people, like me, preferring the Accessibility settings of Balance +slight or Vocal + slight (my case), and this two settings are so different than the APM factory sound, but maybe someone listening at high volumes for more time thinking 'this 2 options are fatiguing'.

This is similar with b&w p7 wireless (and momentum 3) but p7w having more mid-bass (more slam and moire thick mids) than sub- bass but having better reproduction of mid-mids up until treble. The tuning of the APM, like the p7w and momentum 3 and momentum true wireless v1 & 2 is very intelligent for a headphone that's main intention is for consumers wanting better sound than xm3, xm4, qc35 and nc700. If you adding in the APM the best anc in the market today and other features, the success of the APM isn't a surprise at all. For factory sound I preferring shure aonic 50, h9, p7w (only a little) and specially h95 but I can understanding people (average consumers) preferring the sound of the APM than the 4 others.

Angelom tell me please your opinion about the Shure aonic 50, sound, comfort etc. Thanks a lot.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2,427 of 5,629
I totally understand the wireless convenience as I also own a pair of PowerBeats Pro and the Beats Solo3. That said, for better or worse, I can still use the Solo3 long after the battery is exhausted as long as everything else is in working order...but the PBP are definitely headed for the trash in a good few years. That thought process has gotten me into looking at one of those Bluetooth DACs; it isn't completely wireless, but it does remove the tether from the source.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #2,428 of 5,629
I’m deep in the Apple ecosystem. I have the iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV and Mac. I also have the APP. I bought the APM, Mobius and Panda to compare. I like just about everything about the APM and I haven’t had any condensation problems. The sound is good but it seems to be missing something. Something that makes me want to nod my head, because of the other features I’m trying to make it work.

I’ve posted on here that I prefer the sound of the Mobius but hate the form factor. So much so that it’s a deal breaker for me. I probably enjoy the Pandas a little more musically, but feel it can sound a little bloated sometimes. Drop released another update that the eq app will come soon.

Has anyone who’s deep into the Apple ecosystem decided to return the APM just because of the sound?

To summarize my long rant, I feel theres an element to the sound signature or something that my ear is missing. It’s almost there. I’m pretty sure it’s not the bass. For example, I think I want to here the snares snap a little harder or something. Maybe it’s to smooth. My ears have been experiencing a coming of age with headphones and I’m still trying to understand what I like also I’m understanding that involves some for of compromise.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,429 of 5,629
Was supposed to get them mid Feb. Pleasantly surprised! Looking forward to listen the heck out of them. :)

Attachments

• 8E5967C7-2EE2-479A-9E95-F9596F56A502.jpeg
    8E5967C7-2EE2-479A-9E95-F9596F56A502.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,430 of 5,629
Angelom tell me please your opinion about the Shure aonic 50, sound, comfort etc. Thanks a lot.

After the h95, my favourite headphone with factory sound is the shure aonic 50 (sa50). The sa50 is having a very good linear, almost reference sound from mid-bass to treble, and the treble is probably the best in any bt/anc headphone I hearing before (you can putting the volume up and is never fatiguing, this is rare happening in very revealing headphones). The problem with the sa50 sound is that sometimes is missing sub bass presence (this is principally where the h95 is winning clearly for me in the sound category in complete sonic picture) but this isn't a big problem for me in general.

The comfort of sa50 is very good, BUT is having some problems for me. The number one problem is the artificial leather (plastic) earpads making my ears hot when the temperature is more than 23-25 celsius and I getting sweat too sometimes (but isn't so bad like sony xm3 that is more quickly this problem). For this reason specially (and more reasons) I buying second time the momentum 3 (m3) because is having leather earpads (not getting hot or sweat for me), is having better construction (more solid), is foldable for travels (sa50 isn't), and now is having 3 band EQ; before is only having a very bad gimmick EQ that isn't working well at all (the factory sound is little too bassy). With the new m3 eq I can decreasing the factory bass and the sound is very, very good, and the eq setting is saving in the headphone so you can using this eq change in all devices (the sa50 eq is available only if you're using the shure app and isn't saving the settings in the headphone like majority of eq in other headphones).

BUT I returning the second pair of m3 because the volume control is driving me crazy because is making very big jumps, more than sa50 (that I'm don't having complete satisfaction), very big jumps that never happening with all the other headphones in my experience. For me volume control is extremely important, and here the APM and h95 are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back