AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio – Young Guru Edition
Oct 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #61 of 70
  Keen to hear about your further testing/feedback gelocks! (Also noticed you placed your pair on sale :p)

Hello.
Yup. :wink:

Kept on testing and comparing against the on-ear Sennheiser Momentums and although both have a warm signature (with the AIAIAIs actually being darker), I missed the sub-bass on the AIAIAIs, they are just weak there (and I love my sub-bass!). Also, the sound was more "condensed" on the upper-mids/lower-treble so instrument separation is not that great when compared against the Momentums. At first it sounded like an Ok pair but after further testing and comparisons, the Sennheiser just did everything better than the AIAIAIs. Got to test them with the FiiO X3 --> Schiit Magni and my Nuforce Icon HDP --> Lehman BCL ... same results.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #62 of 70

Hello.
Yup. :wink:

Kept on testing and comparing against the on-ear Sennheiser Momentums and although both have a warm signature (with the AIAIAIs actually being darker), I missed the sub-bass on the AIAIAIs, they are just weak there (and I love my sub-bass!). Also, the sound was more "condensed" on the upper-mids/lower-treble so instrument separation is not that great when compared against the Momentums. At first it sounded like an Ok pair but after further testing and comparisons, the Sennheiser just did everything better than the AIAIAIs. Got to test them with the FiiO X3 --> Schiit Magni and my Nuforce Icon HDP --> Lehman BCL ... same results.

Gelocks,
Could you please expand a little bit more on the bass & sub bass of the young guru's vs the on-ear Momentums? And an overall sound comparison of the two?

I don't have much experience with headphones, my pair of Aiaiai Tracks recently gave out on me, I really liked their sound, that's why I"m looking at the young guru edition. I do like the look of the on-ear Momentums more and they're slightly cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality especially low end sub bass.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #63 of 70

Gelocks,
Could you please expand a little bit more on the bass & sub bass of the young guru's vs the on-ear Momentums? And an overall sound comparison of the two?

I don't have much experience with headphones, my pair of Aiaiai Tracks recently gave out on me, I really liked their sound, that's why I"m looking at the young guru edition. I really like the look of the on-ear Momentums and their slightly cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality especially low end sub bass.

Just like mentioned.
The Young Guru's sub-bass is just weak to my ears. It doesn't really rumble all that much even with songs such as Late Night Tip by Three Six Mafia. Mid-bass punch is Ok but not all that clear. On-ear Momentums actually have stronger sub-bass and mid-bass impact BUT the bass is not as clearly defined as some other headphones such as V-Moda M100s, Yamaha Pro 500, etc. Overall sound, AIAIAI's are dark a bit of treble roll-off, the Momentum's are warm, extension is quite good.

(just in case... glossary -->  http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary )

So my preference between these two goes to the Momentums which is why I'm already selling my AIAIAI's on the board (check my signature).

If I were to select another portable performer with very good sound, my pick would be: KEF M500s.
Completely excellent!

If you'd like to read an EXCELLENT thread regarding portables, please also take a look at MacedonianHero's thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-b-w-p7-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-executive-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Good luck!
And Welcome to head-fi!

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #65 of 70
I have an unfortunate experience to share regarding these TMA-1 Young Guru's:

First, the good: I got them late October and loved them immediately. Coming from the original, first gen TMA-1's, this was a HUGE improvement. They are extremely comfortable (the memory foam earpads make all the difference), the red coiled cable has a premium feel to it, they are very lightweight compared to other TMA-1's. I agree that the mid-bass and sub-bass are a little bit lacking, but for recording (ie making beats) or monitoring sound on set (ie shooting movies) this was absolutely marvelous. I heard things in my on-set recordings that I would not have with my standard on-set mdr-v6's, and the isolation I get in my bedroom studio is the best I've ever experienced (though, full disclosure, i'm new to the head-fi world)

now, the bad: a little over a week into owning them I sat down at my desk and put them on as normal. I went to adjust the earcups to make them a little bigger and suddenly 'SNAP, SNAP' both slider pins snapped right off! The little plastic nubs fell out of the earcup and now the earcups wont stay in place and wobble around. Very disappointing for many reasons (i've owned the original TMA1's for 3 years and marvel at their durability, these young guru's are clearly not as rugged). My heart sank because I am about a week away from deadline on a project I'm finishing up and these are my only headphones at the moment (ie I couldnt send them out for replacement because I couldn't be without headphones for a week right now). But, I was reassured that I'd be dealing with AIAIAI who is normally very good with their customer service. But not this time. They took over 2 days just to get back to me with a very curt and short response saying "we will send you new slider pins, they will be there in a week." Huh? I have to wait a week to fix them myself? Besides, considering where they broke, I don't see how i could fix them myself without fully taking them apart - I'm not opposed to DIY, but for a brand new pair of headphones this is kind of ridiculous. I wrote back and they took another 4 days to reply, this time asking me pay for shipping to send them back to Denmark for them to fix....something I told them wouldnt be possible. I wanted them to send a new pair at which point I would return my broken pair. But getting them to reply let alone address my request is like pulling teeth.

I think I may just return them to amazon because dealing with AIAIAI has been such an ********* headache. You would think a small company would want to retain their loyal customers with excellent customer service, but this has not been the case. It's very frustrating and I think AIAIAI is very close to losing me as a customer. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #66 of 70
Bought a Studio Young Guru this week since my last TMA-1 DJ had their headband broken after nearly 2,5 years of daily use. For the moment, the red coiled cable isn't working well, I don't listen anything from the right pad, so I'm using the straight cable, which mic is completely useless (doesn't work on PC neither on WP). They are amazingly comfortable and look astonishing, even better than the DJ version.

About sound, I still have to burn them. At first I noted they're still dark, but with a better detailed bass than the DJ version, slightly less sub-bass that allows to show more of the mid and up basses (I listen things from dubstep songs that I wasn't able to listen to with the DJ). Mids are well presented, but they're not the protagonist of this cans. I also still note that typical veil on trebles, unless that characteristic sparkle is  maybe they start to show up with more hours.

PD: I still have the semi-leather DJ pads and even I bought the Studio PU foam pads for a more comfortable combo (DJ with PU foam). I will also listen to them.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #67 of 70
Well, I went off these for a while but have recently been loving them again.  They are so comfortable and easy to drive.  I also like their dark sound and feel that the bass rumble is just enough. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #69 of 70
They are the most comfy headphones I own and while they may not be as revealing as some, I still really enjoy them for a closed phone.  Just wish they came with a case.  Do you notice a change in sound between the supplied cords? Sort of feel that the red coiled one is better but it could just be my head.   I generally go with the coiled red one but the black iphone compatible one is so much friendlier - the red coiled one is a p.i.t.a!

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #70 of 70
the only tma-1s worth getting are the ghostly and young-guru editions. others will either break or break your head. the new tma-2 modulars might be worth checking out, and if they fail just swap some parts :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back