AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio – Young Guru Edition
Sep 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #46 of 70
I find them not to have that deep V-shape that the M-100 so nicely presents, mids are much more present with the TMA-1. I don't consider their midrange to be badly colored but not as smooth and natural as, say, the DT1350. I don't have them on hand to give you more details (I'm on vacation and had to cut down on the number of headphones to take with me...)
When I'm back in about 10 days I can take a photo of the FR chart on the box which I found to represent my impressions quite accurately.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #49 of 70
Went into my local headphones store and really appreciated the sound from these young guru's.  They offered up a very different sound (that I appreciated) in comparison to many of the other cans I was looking at.  They appeared to wipe the floor with the sennheiser momentums IMHO.  They were specifically the phones I was looking at but when I listened to them they did not seem that special.  And they had small cups!  Very awkward size, barely fit my ears in and then I could not wear them for very long.  I also found that my AT esw9's sounded better than the momentums.  Maybe I am biased.  Also felt that the new beyerdynamic custom pro 1's were not as good as the young guru's.  Only the tma-1 studios came close (but their sound was not as spacious).  As always, IMHO.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #50 of 70
It is a shame that no one else has commented on these cans as I felt that they were amazing. Going to go and pick them up this week I was so impressed. No one else has had experience with them? The people in the regular studio thread have been slamming the studios ( not the gurus) but I found the studios to also be quite good. And an pro reviewer found the studios better than the gurus! Sigh, just reaffirms that people are people and they have diff tastes.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #51 of 70
I am also keen on further feedback from more experienced ears, having just picked up a pair of these. I have been reluctant to leave any feedback because I am very much a beginner (these are my first pair of cans).

I picked them because I hit up a great store in Melbourne called Jaben audio, and the dude there was kind enough to let me try a bunch of different headphones I had on my list, like the Sennheiser HD-25s and Momentums. Initially I thought I was going to go for the Momentums because I'm after a portable closed-back set, and the Momentums have great reviews.

But since I have quite large ears the Young Gurus were much more comfortable and an actual over-the-ear fit, not to mention I enjoyed the sound they had the best out of all the sets I tried. Currently going through my music collection with them at work right now!

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #52 of 70
Excellent muttonhead!  I had a very similar experience over here in Perth with Headphonic.  Went in wanting to listen to the momentums and the beyer custom pro 1's and came away thinking that the young gurus were the better of the sets!  They are very comfortable and the sound was exceptional.  While I wish they were a little more portable, I am happier that they are comfortable and bassy.  I must try the senn hd-25's again but I remember when I tried them a few years ago that I came away thinking that they were not that comfortable.  At the time I purchased a pair of audio technica ad700's but they were huge and a little too comfortable (they fell off very easily).  I also tried the beyer dt250's, which I must admit were technically very good but they were just not as fun as the young guru's.  Muttonhead, can you tell me what you paid at Jaben's?

cheers,

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #53 of 70
I didn't actually end up buying from Jaben, from what I remember that was their last pair left, (with more stock incoming) and they were selling for around $350 if I recall correctly. I found a pair on ebay later on for US$195 so I jumped at that chance!

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #54 of 70
Damn, that is a good price.  I am looking at a similar price to Jaben over here.  Did that include shipping?  What was your final Aus cost?

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 70
Not including shipping which was another US$50, which brought it up to around to $265 AU. I got a good deal though- I think the box had been opened but never worn- but I'm not too fussy about that.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #56 of 70
Hmmmm.  that is only about 50 bucks less than what I can get it for here.  With warranty and supporting my local store I think I am happier getting it here.  There is always a line for me in terms of saving money and whether you feel you are being ripped locally.  Some items I have just found the price difference to be abhorrent.  I got my ath-esw9's from the same store here and the price difference with getting it overseas was negligible.  Each to his own, however.  I often get stuff from overseas, having a good time with a ramos w30 tablet, and that was priced very well, much cheaper than getting a samsung with similar specs here.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #57 of 70
Well, I decided to buy them (right now), so hopefully I'll get them soon and can provide a bit of input. I'm not sure if these are really "studio cans" (such as Yamaha HPH-MT220s) or just ordinary bassy headphones (like their first ones) with the name "Studio" on them... guess I'll find out soon enough.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #58 of 70
Be interesting to hear your thoughts on them, gelocks.  So you have not heard them yet?  Which of the aiaiai range have you heard?  I was contemplating the tma-1 normal range but did not find them as comfortable.  Big factor for me now, comfort.  I have had too many cans that sounded great but were a pain in terms of their comfort and/or everyday use.  Initially really liked my grado's but they are not as user friendly as these young guru's.  That said, I bought the brainwavz hm5's for their soft, pillowy pads and yet I also find them a little....boring.  They do also have a bit of a vice-like grip which doesn't help.  I don't know....this headphone is as everyone has said before - making me broke.  

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #59 of 70
  Be interesting to hear your thoughts on them, gelocks.  So you have not heard them yet?  Which of the aiaiai range have you heard?  I was contemplating the tma-1 normal range but did not find them as comfortable.  Big factor for me now, comfort.  I have had too many cans that sounded great but were a pain in terms of their comfort and/or everyday use.  Initially really liked my grado's but they are not as user friendly as these young guru's.  That said, I bought the brainwavz hm5's for their soft, pillowy pads and yet I also find them a little....boring.  They do also have a bit of a vice-like grip which doesn't help.  I don't know....this headphone is as everyone has said before - making me broke.  

Hello.

Have not heard any AIAIAI yet. I know that their initial releases were pretty bassy and just by their looks I knew they were not going to be comfortable to me either!
But these seem to have more potential so I ordered them and... they arrived... :wink:

Right now actually testing the Sennheiser Momentum on-ears... they sound quite good and comfort agrees with me (and way better than their "over-ear" counterpart!)
Things I have noticed of the AIAIAI's though:

1) Very good construction, though I don't like exposed cables... pet-peeve I guess
2) Pads and overall feel is very comfortable
3) Don't know why, but had a hard time getting the cable on the headphone! LOL
4) Like the red-coiled cable that came with it
5) Don't like the cheapo string bag that came with the headphone. At this price point I expect something better.

Of the few tracks I listened to with the AIAIAIs I can say:

1) They are indeed dark (not warm, but dark) and bass is definitely a bit boomy to me.
2) Talking about bass... damn, nice impact (even though they are a bit boomy). Listening to Jamiroquai - Radio, wow...
3) Definitely recessed mids and lacking some detail (comparing directly to the Momentums since I have them both at hand... and BTW, the Momentums are recessed as well but not as much as these).
4) More mid-bass than sub-bass, though they do go down to 20-25Hz just lack a bit of ooommphhh (compared to other bass-head cans).
5) Listening to Fire in Your New Shoes by Kaskade == very good. Somehow the vocals sound very forward so there might be a bit of a bump in the upper-mids somewhere (i.e. I don't doubt any women sung track or instruments in that area, trumpets in merengue tracks/guitars probably,  will "pop".)
6) Listening to Paramore - Still into You (love Paramore and love this freaking track!)... still the "dark" quality with regard to detail and overall sound signature permeates. But as mentioned, guitars seem forward enough, good attack and Hayley's voice as well. Headphones are not "syrupy" sounding even though they are dark... they seem to respond well to faster tracks.

And that's all I got for now...

As usual, I stick with headphones for a few weeks as I do believe in "brain burn-in" and get used to sound signatures rather quick... so further testing will let me know if I will add them to my collection or let them go! :wink:

Thanks.

P.S. I was listening to these just straight out of the PC... During the week I'll test with my usual work set-up (Cowon C2 --> Schiit Magni) and home set-up (Nuforce Icon HDP DAC --> Lehman BCL amp). 

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #60 of 70
Keen to hear about your further testing/feedback gelocks! (Also noticed you placed your pair on sale :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back