AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio – Young Guru Edition
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 70
They got bored a bit earlier today and dropped them off at around 2:15pm. Fortunately the good news does not end here...

Packaging is very nice, this time around with a fold up front and a clear window behind, keeping with the presentation on a layer of structured foam. The cable and pouch are hidden away underneath, together with a small booklet explaining the installation of the cable.

First thing to notice is just how light they are -- very nice, as somehow they still do not feel flimsy or fragile. The cups are less deep than expected but are soft and feel good on my ears. The headband cushion is thick and comfortable, the red coiled cable with the massive connector with a metal body are a nice touch as well.

A first short listen reminds a bit of the M-100, i.e. hard hitting bass but not of bad quality. The two peaks at around 6-8kHz and >10kHz are a bit prominent, but were no problem so far. Mids are a bit lower in level, voices are well presented though (a short trip with the Hot Pants Road Club - I'm A Man).

I can compare them to the TMA-1 only from memory, but the treble is much better on this one. Plus I'd say bass is more clear (maybe a bit less subbass).

I've always liked AIAIAI's design and the Young Guru Edition is a really nice variant and IMO the best sounding so far.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:
Nice!

What kind of material are those earpads?!

I really have no idea... its not the PU foam used in the original TMA-1 Studio nor is it velour. It feels just like the replacement pads for the DT1350 that are called 'Nubuk synthetic leather'. They are soft and very nice to wear. They seem to use memory foam inside and the inner part of the ring is of another mesh-material (a bit like the inner part of the Momentum pads).

Quote:
THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!!

SO THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL TMA-1 U THINK? ... WOW

Yes, I like them much better. While they exhibit a little bit of the veil in the lower treble like the TMA-1 they have better extension and overall sound much more natural (as far as natural goes with electronic music anyway :wink:

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #22 of 70
They don't isolate that much IMO, but they go plenty loud. They seem quite robust, the red cable is long enough and locks in the cup. Since they do not fold I find them unwieldly to wear around the neck... Personally I prefer the DT1350 or the HD25 for that purpose.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #25 of 70
Now officially available as of July, 17th.

Still enjoying my pair, they really grew on me during that last week... I find them detailed and with an impressive bass presentation, strong but not overwhelming. And they don't neglect the other side of the audible spectrum, showing a nice sparkle.

Now playing: Roberto Palmero - Come Back You Know

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #30 of 70
Thats a hard question to answer... Though they share some traits (i.e. a strong bass and a bit weaker midrange, the TMA-1 has the edge in clarity I'd say. That might make it prone to sibilance if the recording is harsh -- something the M-100 would not do I guess. Thats pure speculation though as I had no problems in that regard so far, but I used them only with EDM of various kinds. Rock might not be the genre of choice for the TMA-1 -- but the M-100 does not excel there either as I've read.

Comfortwise its a tie... both are not completely around-ear, the pads of the TMA-1 are much softer and I had no problem wearing them even these last rather warm days. The M-100 gets me sweating a bit but on the other hand their build and pleather cups seem to be more resistant (i.e. just wipe them off). The TMA-1 is astoundingly light and, in contrast to former variants, the headband has a nice cushion now.

Mobile use is somewhat better with the M-100 as it folds up and its cups are a bit smaller (i.e. easier to wear around the neck). Both sound good and go plenty loud with mobile devices, with the TMA-1 having a slight edge in efficiency.

Currently I enjoy both of them -- and I'm glad I don't have to decide which one to sell :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back