AH-D2000's or SRH840's?
Dec 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Wiimote007

Head-Fier
I am looking for the best closed headphones under $150 at Amazon.com, mainly for listening out of an ipod and laptop, and I plan on getting an amp in the future.

I know the D2000's are $202 but my dad has a $100-off gift card, so yeah.

Which would be best for listening to Electronic, J-Pop, Classical, Pop, and Rock? Those are my main Genres, so please tell me which of the two would work best.

Answers appreciated, please respond asap if you can help!
o2smile.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 29
ooo, another jpop fan.

I think both are great choices, and I don't really have a reason to recommend one over the other.

Well, actually:
The Denon D2000's are at a really good price, and you would be able to resell them at no loss once the amazon price goes back up in the case that you don't like them. The same can't be said about the SRH840's.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 29
The volume level of a D2000 direct from an iPod may not be adequate. I have an iPod Classic (80 GB model) and the volume can range from being a little too loud to not loud enough depending on the recording. With a modern master that is mastered on the loud side you will likely be OK. With older masters and classical music you may find yourself on the wishing it could get louder side for some recordings. All models of iPod are not the same. Some get louder than others.

For a check, I just tried Beethoven's symphony #5 from the iPod with my D2000. Volume is at max. Volume is fine for home listening, but it is at max so can't go higher if the recording was any softer. This is a US spec iPod (not a volume limited France iPod). And acceptable volume level from person to person is relative.

What I'm trying to say is that you'll be dancing the line between being able to drive the headphones loud enough or not, at least with my particular iPod unamped.

I haven't listened to the Shure 840. I don't know if it will do better on the able to get loud enough with all recordings scale.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 29
Ive owned a denon 1001 and the 5000. Both are awesome for electronic music. Id go with the 2000s.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 29
I have both (well, kind of, I have a Lawton Audio modified D2000). I find the SRH840 better "balanced"; the D2000's can feel pretty bright, painfully so on some vocals, but it's definitely more "fun" than the SRH840. The D2000s are much bulkier than the SRH840, but I find them more comfortable.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 29
Alright, so that is about 3 votes for the Denon's and 1 for the Shure's...

If it helps, I will be using these on my commute to and from school, as well as at home, and in the library.

Sources would be either my laptop or my iPod Touch 3G...

More help is appreciated.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 29
Ewwww, jpop and D2000s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't go wrong with SRH840. The D2000 sound more clubby but aren't natural at all. I don't think it's fun when you miss out on some good melodies, so I wouldn't call them "fun" really.

Yay for Shures.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 29
I'd suggest the Denons; more refined, comfortable ... more of everything actually!
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest the Denons; more refined, comfortable ... more of everything actually!
tongue.gif

Haha. Excuse my sir, but "more refined" my ***.

Edit: I need to be more clear. The SRH840s are very resolving, yet smooth. Even more resolving than my HE-5s and display the pitch accuracy of notes even compared to many high end cans. A serious bang for the buck, if you appreciate getting closer to the source, the music. The D2000s are unnatural and poor at playing melodies. They are only fun in the matter that they give you that strong bass which resembles a poor PA-system in the sheer power. Not very musical.

... When comparing the two, that is.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 29
I don't know - I also prefer D2000 over SRH840. In my opinion, D2000 sounds more natural - less colored than the Shures in the bass and treble. Both need an amp to sound good.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 29
Fully burnt in SRH840s are anything but badly colored, and it gets even better with a better source and amplification. The bass-region is fantastic. Compared to the D2000s, you can actually hear different instruments as separate entities. The low synth, bass drum, bass-guitar, they're all there, hallelujah!
smily_headphones1.gif
This became more apparent with the HM-801.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 29
So, this still is going nowhere fast.

Electropop, you seem pretty keen on taking down the D2000's, are they that bad? because everyone else thinks they are fine, and I don't mind strong bass, I listen to R&B and Techno after all.

Point is, are the D2000's worth the $50 more that I am paying for them? Or should I get the 840's and save the money? based on my usage and genres, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back