After Hendrix who is rock's most iconic guitarist?
Aug 10, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #46 of 87
This thread has reminded me why I stopped reading guitar magazines :p
Come to think of it, a way to find the answer is to count the number of times any guitarist has been on the cover of Guitar World...you'll see hardly an issue goes without mention of Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Blackmore, Van Halen or Gilmour.

Aaron313, even accounting for differences in personal taste, I wouldnt be so quick to put Hendrix's iconic reverence down to onstage antics and showmanship. Clapton stopped playing strats because he was so intimidated by Hendrix's guitar playing. When Chas Chandler introduced Hendrix to Clapton at a gig and the two jammed onstage, Clapton nervously left the stage after some time and told Chandler something like "you had said he was good, but you didnt say he was THAT good, did you?". As for the use of the wha-wha and fuzz pedal (first used on Purple Haze), using a Leslie rotary amp, the use of an overdriven Marshall stack and musically utilising amp feedback, Hendrix was far more of a pioneer than Clapton ever was. All contemporary guitarists of Hendrix's time such as Pete Townsend, Keith Richards and Clapton were pretty awed by his playing, with or without lighter fluid or teeth involved.

Clapton is a legend in his own right for sure and a name known worldwide just as much as Hendrix, perhaps even more so, but in terms of innovation and guitar ability and virtuosity in a truly musical sense (ie, playing rhythm and lead at the same time like Hendrix could) , Clapton definitely takes a back seat to James Marshall Hendrix. The influences in Clapton's playing? Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, BB King, Buddy Guy, Freddie King, Howlin' Wolf and JJ Cale..nothing eclectic at all really...good old Delta and Chicago Bluesmen.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #47 of 87
Clapton actually said more than once that Hendrix was superior to himself and I agree.
Out of the three guitar heros that came out from the same time and same place, Jeff Beck is the one I still like the most and really enjoy his live at Ronnie SCott's cd and dvd.
Not sure if Ritchie Blackmore really belongs with some of the rest in the poll even though I love him and Deep Purple. The high light of my growing up was watching him and Rainbow up close in Michael Sobell Leisure Centre. It was basically just a gym and I managed to get myself right to the front. He was seeing Lita Ford at the time (I think )so she was the opening act. That almost gave me more of a kick than seeing Rainbow.
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #48 of 87
I would say that Hendrix is amazing even when playing acoustic. Really, his intelligence and unique style shine through even without all that extra experimentation. As for Clapton being reverent of Hendrix, I would not say that means much with regard to his status relative to Hendrix. Clapton is classy and humble, often deferring to other musicians when playing live; obviously he would be in awe of Hendrix. What about the tale when Duane Allman was jamming live, but spotted Clapton and froze onstage? People were in awe of him, too.

And I really wouldn't say that Hendrix was far more of a pioneer (to add to your list, he helped define combined lead/rhythm playing). It's difficult to define such things, and Clapton was instrumental in revitalizing late 60s British blues (thereby changing the course of rock music) through his techniques. Still, Hendrix is the quintessential rock god in no small part due to his "flair" onstage. He deserves credit for building such a unique image to bolster his massive talent, but I have a hard time admitting he is any more of a rock god than the man who never hits a bad note and could improvise a melodic solo within the context of a song more skillfully than anyone.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #49 of 87
People were and are still in awe of Clapton, no argument there. My point was that Clapton himself was actually impressed and upstaged by Hendrix enough to give up playing Strats till after Hendrix's death. Of course each admired other players..Clapton adored Duane Allman's slide playing as you pointed out, and said he felt like a boy when playing next to the man, Muddy Waters. Hendrix in turn was a big fan of Elmore James.

Hendrix was undoubtably a flashier player at times with a more striking stage persona, but to suggest he owes his fame in large part to this is not accurate and also contradicts your first paragraph. This is my main disagreement with your posts, ie that Hendrix owes a lot of his fame merely to stage antics and image. Seeing as you are a guitar player too, I'm sure you would agree, playing a tune the way Hendrix did is a lot more challenging than a Clapton tune.

"...but I have a hard time admitting he is any more of a rock god than the man who never hits a bad note and could improvise a melodic solo within the context of a song more skillfully than anyone. " No questioning Clapton's playing abilities, he is a classy and polished player with great musical sensibilities, but Hendrix pushed far more boundaries in composition, improvisation and tonal experimentation (live and studio) during that period. In my opinion, Hendrix was more creative and complex, evolving beyond his influences further than Clapton did, but you are free to disagree of course. Ranking musicians is a silly endevour at best, akin to "dancing about architecture", as Zappa nicely said. Each has their own unique voice and significant place in rock history.
Peace
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #50 of 87
For the intent of the thread, Chuck Berry is the correct answer.

For purposes of determining amazing guitarists, all on the list are correct answers, plus hundreds of ommissions.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #52 of 87
I find this to be a worthwhile discussion. Still, my final substantive comment on the Hendrix matter is that most people will reflexively say he is the "greatest" even if they are unfamiliar with his music. In truth they are both in the category of "greatest."

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #53 of 87
Aaron313 - you might be stretching things a bit saying he was classy and that's why he admitted Hendricks was better. I learned both of their songs growing up, and Hendricks was much more interesting to play. He also had soul to his playing that many of the modern greats still don't have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the intent of the thread, Chuck Berry is the correct answer.

For purposes of determining amazing guitarists, all on the list are correct answers, plus hundreds of ommissions.

I actually would have to agree with this after some more thought.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #55 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim Pickens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies to "NorthStar" as he mentioned Chuck Berry before I. Looks like two of know what we are talking about.
biggrin.gif

Kudos.
beerchug.gif

A couple of others have acknowledged Chuck Berry - salute to GlendaleViper and robm321....

I still can't believe there has been so little mention of Mr. Berry. Oh well...

BTW Slim - how was that ride on the nuclear bomb destined for the Russian ICBM complex?

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
--John Lennon

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #56 of 87
Quite shocked that there is no mention or listing for that matter for Pete Townshend
eek.gif
Definitely deserves a bit of recognition to say the least.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #58 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite shocked that there is no mention or listing for that matter for Pete Townshend
eek.gif
Definitely deserves a bit of recognition to say the least.

I'd love to see him up on the list too, but to be fair, I think he deserves more credit as a songwriter, or a total package than "Most Iconic Guitarist". Although countless bands after them have certainly aped his antics!

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #59 of 87
Its a tough choice but I'd have to go with Clapton. Just an overall guitar icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back