After Hendrix who is rock's most iconic guitarist?
Aug 9, 2009 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I think it would be generally agreed despite whether he is your favorite guitarist or not that Jimi Hendrix is regarded as THE guitar God of rock, no one else in his level in terms of overall meaning to the genre......

So after him, who in your opinion is THE rock Guitar God.....not necessarilly your favorite player, but the most iconic figure of rock guitar after Hendrix

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 87
Gilmour is my pick as he can do it all (except mindless wakfests). He has substance, style, and memorable melodies.

I like Page, but he is no Gilmour (and I never cared for Page's live performances), I think Clapton is great but overrated, and Eddie Van Halen is an LA 80's rock wanker. Randy Rhoads whips him up and down the block, and he was not only skilled in wankery. Had he lived, he would have made an exceptional classical guitar player.

Flame all you want, but despite attempts to objectify this thread, it is nothing but subjectivity. If it were objective, there would be no discussion (like comparing The Mars Volta to Pink Floyd
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 87
Its a shame I dont see Mark Knopfler up there, I think his stile is unique, and maybe the solo works are even better than DS era.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 87
What about Steve Vai and Joe Satriani?

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a shame I dont see Mark Knopfler up there, I think his stile is unique, and maybe the solo works are even better than DS era.

Quite true. If it was a Page vs. Knopfler thread, I'd clearly vote for Knopfler.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 87
Interesting poll. I immediately thought we'll need a poll on the rock god guitarist BEFORE Hendrix.
evil_smiley.gif

I decided to pick one from your list I feel is unquestionably after Hendrix. So I picked Angus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back