After Hendrix who is rock's most iconic guitarist?
Aug 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #76 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by lweijs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mark Knopfler is my favorite guitar player of all time. But I guess he's not really an 'icon'.

Voted for Clapton.

Mark Knopfler is a far, far better guitarist than Clapton. In terms of recognition and plaudits, each receives what the other deserves.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #77 of 87
Here are the responses from a rock poll taken in 2005:

1. Jimi Hendrix* - Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Solo
3. Jimmy Page - Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm
4. Jeff Beck - Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, Solo
5. Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
6. Stevie Ray Vaughan* - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
7. Joe Satriani - Solo
8. Ritchie Blackmore - Rainbow, Deep Purple, Blackmores Night
9. Steve Vai - David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Solo
10. David Gilmour - Pink Floyd, Solo

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #78 of 87
I can't believe Clapton is winning this thread. WOW. It takes more than fancy fingerwork to play the blues!

Also, Mark Knopfler? I mean the Dire Straits first album is pretty good, but it's not revolutionary. He's a great guitarest. But people like Jimmy Page and Jerry Garcia have so much more behind the guitar, if you know what I mean.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #79 of 87
How could Duane Allman have no votes? He's defintely my favortie from the list....I didn't vote for him becuase I didn't think he was as iconic as some others, so I guess that's why he has no votes, but he's certainly better and more iconic than others I put on the list....

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #81 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe Clapton is winning this thread. WOW. It takes more than fancy fingerwork to play the blues!

Also, Mark Knopfler? I mean the Dire Straits first album is pretty good, but it's not revolutionary. He's a great guitarest. But people like Jimmy Page and Jerry Garcia have so much more behind the guitar, if you know what I mean.

No suprise at all that Clapton is leading. Remember, the poll is not about who is the best or revolutionary or influential guitarist, but who is the most recognisable "poster-child" of rock guitar. Same as MacDonalds being the answer when asked to name a hamburger brand, that doesnt mean it's the best, just most well known. Same reason why a better looking politican with a more palatable and appealing image will fare better than a less attractive but perhaps "smarter" one. Things that have mass market appeal are not always the best, but accesable, easy to comprehend and well marketed as well.

Re: Garcia, I dont think he is as well known across the Atlantic or globally as Clapton is in the US,esp to current generations. As for Knopfler, he has a lot more going for thim then you give credit for. Less is more. His tasteful and inimitable guitar tones and playing in the context of a band without hogging the spotlight are two noteworthy aspects, as is his distinctive right hand technique. But he has never reached iconic status, and again it's no suprise. He doesnt have the stage presence or persona for it like Page and his band Dire Straits doesnt play the kind of era-defining rock or have the "cool factor" like Led Zep or Clapton with a cigarette smoldering on his strat headstock.

Would have been interesting to see how many votes Zakk Wylde would have gotten.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #84 of 87
Again, you've got to be kidding me that Pete Townshend is not at least in this list, if not at the top. I can't believe people are throwing names around of guitarists that most people, other than big rock fans, wouldn't even recognize.

Ok, I'm done.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, you've got to be kidding me that Pete Townshend is not at least in this list, if not at the top. I can't believe people are throwing names around of guitarists that most people, other than big rock fans, wouldn't even recognize.

Thurston Moore also should be on the list.
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #86 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thurston Moore also should be on the list.
tongue.gif

Hmmm…never thought of Thurston Moore as iconic, but maybe. I tend to think icon status also has to do with having a recognizable image or look that's stored away in the public's memory bank, kinda like that early image of Carlos Santana that's currently on those jeans commercials on TV. I don't automatically think of an image related to Thurston, though I've seen Sonic Youth dozens of times. Just thinking aloud…hell, right now I'm listening to Sonny Sharrock thinking, "Why not him?" for icon status. He's certainly a bad-ass.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #87 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm…never thought of Thurston Moore as iconic, but maybe. I tend to think icon status also has to do with having a recognizable image or look that's stored away in the public's memory bank, kinda like that early image of Carlos Santana that's currently on those jeans commercials on TV. I don't automatically think of an image related to Thurston, though I've seen Sonic Youth dozens of times. Just thinking aloud…hell, right now I'm listening to Sonny Sharrock thinking, "Why not him?" for icon status. He's certainly a bad-ass.
normal_smile .gif

i was actually being semi-ironic by nominating Thurston Moore. of course, to a certain cadre of listeners he is unambiguously an icon. but to a wider audience, he's mostly unknown.

it really gets down to the absurdity of bestowing iconic status on anyone. sure, Clapton has that status based on his widespread popularity... but did he really "change" the face of rock music? would rock look different had he never been? From this perspective, I personally think Thurston has had more impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back