After Hendrix who is rock's most iconic guitarist?
Aug 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #61 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy-starnuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keith Richards! Not only iconic guitarist, iconic rock and roll god!

this is what i was going to post. i can't believe this thread has gone on 4 pages with no mention of Keith Richards. for him not to be on the list is a pretty astounding oversight.

i also agree that Chuck Berry is the father of rock guitar, so he must be on the list.

i know Clapton is huge, but personally his playing has always left me cold. i've seen him live twice, and both times i was underwhelmed by the saccharine undertones of both the general performance and his playing. maybe he just mails it in nowadays?

so of course i voted for Zappa.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #62 of 87
Like anything else, there are icons for what I'd call aficionados that might be different than players who are iconic to the general public. You know how everybody's heard of, say, Miles Davis or Dave Brubeck, but maybe not Sonny Rollins? My sense of it is that Eric Clapton is kinda known by everyone, the other guitarists on the list less so, the possible exception being Eddie Van Halen. Weird that Carlos Santana didn't make the list, because his name is well-recognized by regular folks.

The discussion about blues and rock seems kinda weird to me, especially if we're talking about unabashed blues mavens like Hendrix and Clapton. It's like drawing false lines in the sand or something. That said, though, I do agree that the average blues aficionado might know Stevie Ray Vaughn, whereas someone in the general public might not. But does that mean he didn't rock?

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #63 of 87
I'm sorry I dont agree with any of the arguments regarding SRV. To me after hendrix, he was the greatest guitar player to walk on earth. PERIOD. Rock or Blues, watever be it. Hendrix's music has a very strong hold and foundation in Blues IMO, so categorizing him as rock guitarist and then saying SRV is just a blues guitarist is just silly IMO.

Clapton is legendary, and is one of the most recognized guitarists around, so I will put him also on the list. Although he is definitely a tad overrated.

The others on the list are all very good guitarists, most of them have their own styles and are almost instantly recognizable. But I wouldnt call any of them the most important guitarist since hendrix.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #64 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a shame I dont see Mark Knopfler up there, I think his stile is unique, and maybe the solo works are even better than DS era.

Mark Knopfler is my favorite guitar player of all time. But I guess he's not really an 'icon'.

Voted for Clapton.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #65 of 87
Not one mention of Jerry Garcia? I'm surprised because he was pretty amazing and probably one of the most iconic musicians of the latter 20th century. And I am not even a big Grateful Dead fan.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #67 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prince
I am evaluating it as a guitarist.

Veerrry interesting suggestion. If you asked someone in the general public, I think the consensus would be that Prince could hang with just about anyone on the list—perhaps even outplay them. His range gives him alot to reach for, i.e., considerable resources to delve into. Nice pull…
beyersmile.png

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #68 of 87
I voted for Jimmy Page, but I have to agree w/ some of the previous posts about Pete Townshend. If you're going for iconic rock guitarists, then Pete Townshend is without a doubt in the top 5.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #70 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not one mention of Jerry Garcia? I'm surprised because he was pretty amazing and probably one of the most iconic musicians of the latter 20th century. And I am not even a big Grateful Dead fan.

yes! I'd say it's Jimmy or Jerry, and I'm leaning towards Jerry

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #71 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Veerrry interesting suggestion. If you asked someone in the general public, I think the consensus would be that Prince could hang with just about anyone on the list—perhaps even outplay them. His range gives him alot to reach for, i.e., considerable resources to delve into. Nice pull…
beyersmile.png

Prince is one of Clapton's favourite guitar players.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #72 of 87
Beck is great, but like all my favorite acts, he refuses to stay within his chosen genre (I actually think of him primarily as a [rock/jazz] fusion artist), so he's out (although he's done some wonderful guest work on some great rock albums).

Jimmy Page.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #74 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beyersmile.png

Thanks.
Please pay attention to him as a guitarist.
It is a very excellent performer.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #75 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beck is great, but like all my favorite acts, he refuses to stay within his chosen genre (I actually think of him primarily as a [rock/jazz] fusion artist), so he's out (although he's done some wonderful guest work on some great rock albums).

Jimmy Page.

In a recent MOJO interview,Jeff Beck explained that he didn't consider himself a jazz guitarist and was surprised at the fact that top jazz players including Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Narada Michael Walden have all been eager to play with him down the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back