After Hendrix who is rock's most iconic guitarist?
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clapton stepped way further out of the blues than SRV did, I prefer SRV much more as a guitarist tho

Totally agree!
beerchug.gif

I have seen Clapton play live three or four times, actually once with both Jimmi Page and Jeff Beck. I felt he was getting too "proper" and lacking some soul.
regular_smile .gif
The last time I went to his concert was when my mother-in-law bought us the ticket to see him in Royal Albert Hall in London! The whole place was full of nicely dressed middle-aged couples and some Clapton look-alikes. Eric Clapton himself was wearing a suit. My wife commented afterwards that the whole experience was like listening to a studio recorded album.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #32 of 87
Two separate questions I suppose, who is the most iconic and who is the 'Rock Guitar God after Hendrix', and I guess I'll answer the the title of the thread.

In terms of what I see most, I think it is Jimmy Page. Iconic to me doesn't necessarily mean the best, but the most recognized and known, and I tend to see more of Page than I do the others on the list where I am.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree!
beerchug.gif

I have seen Clapton play live three or four times, actually once with both Jimmi Page and Jeff Beck. I felt he was getting too "proper" and lacking some soul.
regular_smile .gif
The last time I went to his concert was when my mother-in-law bought us the ticket to see him in Royal Albert Hall in London! The whole place was full of nicely dressed middle-aged couples and some Clapton look-alikes. Eric Clapton himself was wearing a suit. My wife commented afterwards that the whole experience was like listening to a studio recorded album.

PCF, i really like your avatar, who is that a picture of?

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #34 of 87
Also Brian May was a wacky omission on my part, I honestly didn't think of him, but if I could go back and redo the poll I may have put May and Slash in in place of others...........Santana was just bubbling under, but I felt his appeal is kinda limited compared to others.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCF, i really like your avatar, who is that a picture of?

That's my self portrait. I used to draw for a living.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #36 of 87
I am suprised that nobody has nominated the one player that started Rock guitar - Chuck Berry. Keep in mind folks, if it wasn't for ol' Chuck, a lot of the people on DavidMahler's list would be working at endeavors other than music.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #39 of 87
EC

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same feeling. So I voted for Ritchie Blackmore, my favorite on the list
evil_smiley.gif

Well, yeah, my favorite too. But most iconic? Nah, Clapton.

I'd pick Chet Atkins anyday anyhow.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthStar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chuck Berry. Repeat. Chuck Berry. Sad that he has not been mentioned. And he should probably be number one. I can't disagree with the choice of Jimi. But without Chuck Berry none of these guys, including Hendrix, may have ever mattered.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
--John Lennon

My apologies to "NorthStar" as he mentioned Chuck Berry before I. Looks like two of know what we are talking about.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #45 of 87
I personally view Clapton as being at least the equal of Hendrix, possibly because I was not around when Hendrix was alive. It's just that when I take a look at his overall career, Clapton participated in at least six groundbreaking group/solo undertakings (Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Dominoes, Blind Faith, Solo career). He revolutionized guitar sound by being the first to record a Les Paul through a Marshall at its highest volume, then helped pioneer psychedelic rock by using his "Woman tone" and mastering the Wah pedal. Layla is no less an iconic song than anything written by Hendrix, and it would take years to uncover all the influences buried in his subtle playing style. He played on one Beatles song, and had another song on the same album dedicated to him! (And famous cameos were rare/nonexistent on Beatles records) His most famous solo (Crossroads) was part of a botched performance by the rhythm section, but it is still an immortal performance. Maybe if he had talked more at concerts, or set things on fire, or played in a less mannered style, Clapton would be the "default" rock god. None of these things detracts from Hendrix's stature, because I would agree that he sometimes transcended music itself, but Clapton is no less transcendent. Add Duane Allman and you get my three top rock icons, all standing above the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back