After Grado SR-80i, what's next?
Dec 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LaDolceVita

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I've owned a pair of Grado SR 80i for about 8 months and I love them. At first I wasn't too convinced, but after a few simple mods and hours of burn in they've been amazing.

I want to upgrade to a better headphone, and since I like the Grado sound signature, I've considered Grados (although I'm open to other suggestions). I listen mostly to rock and metal, and to some jazz, classical and electronic music and my sources are a Macbook and an iPod (unamped). I've done some research in the forums, and I've read that an upgrade to SR-225i is not that much of a difference and that the SR-325i is too bright and fatiguing. Most people recommend the HF-2 (although apparently you can't find them anywhere), the RS-2/RS-1 and the Alessandro MS-2. I was also wondering if an upgrade is really worth it considering my sources (some people say that it's pointless). I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Sounds like you've caught the official Head-Fi disease.....upgrade-itis .
wink_face.gif

I've managed to resist it so far, and I'm still quite happy with my SR60i's (with just a touch of bass boost from Rockbox) but I wish you the best of luck.
gs1000.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 7
I found the RS-1 uncomfy...
If you like the 80i you have now why upgrade :wink:
I've heard good things about the Alessandro. 
Sorry I'm not more helpful, wireless is such a small part of the market =/

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Would you consider getting an amp? If yes, you should look around for a used RS1/RS1i and skip all other SR/RS Grados. If you're lucky, you can find one for around $450 or less on the FS forum here on Head-Fi. However you'll need an amp and a DAC to bring out their full potential.

If you don't want an amp, I'd suggest to keep the SR80i. The SR225 would be an option, but the RS1 + an amp will be a much greater improvement.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 7
maybe enjoying the Grado sound with your SR80's and get another flavor besides that.

Denon, AKG, Sennheiser...
When listening to jazz, put some AKG's on, when you want to rock, get your grado's, for example

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 7
I had the SR-80 for about 10 years before deciding it was time for an upgrade, and bought the RS1i.  Even without extra amping, the latter is significantly better (and I like the SR-80).  Get a used RS1/RS1i, then upgrade the other stuff over time.

- Ed

Quote:
Would you consider getting an amp? If yes, you should look around for a used RS1/RS1i and skip all other SR/RS Grados. If you're lucky, you can find one for around $450 or less on the FS forum here on Head-Fi. However you'll need an amp and a DAC to bring out their full potential.

If you don't want an amp, I'd suggest to keep the SR80i. The SR225 would be an option, but the RS1 + an amp will be a much greater improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back