Affordability
Sep 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each month, the money piles up higher and higher -- so I have to spend some on cans and more CD's to manage it.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Then there are at least two of us.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 49
When I was a working Engineer; if I wanted something; I bought it.

Now that I'm retired and we suddenly got four new little kids to raise as a retirement present, my habits have changed.
frown.gif

Now I do a lot more studying and getting things a lot less frequently. I've been here about a year and a half and only have a few sets of phones, but two of them are the centerpoint of my system that's developing rather slowly, but a new amp is next then a new source after that....all in due time.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty simple!
If you don't have enough money you simply earn too little...
tongue.gif

well yes! then it becomes a case of moving the goal posts. you have to want something enough to abstain from other costly activities. it's almost like religion, a quest... if you're building a home rig you will be restless until it's complete. if it's portable you will feel incomplete in your lifestyle (if your a portables person), on your person (wallet, keys, player...) & if you have a nagging feeling you should upgrade to a better sound. less money = more sacrifice. can't have everything. it's priority. i feel like an amputee if i can't have portable music each day.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 49
Buying used and penny pinching. I don't drink or smoke, so that saves a lot. I also don't go on vacations and generally pretty stingy when it comes to spending money on clothes/attires.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #36 of 49
I take my car simply to get from A to B, but I listen to music all the evening long...

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 49
This topic came up once probably a year back. I remember one guy replied that he sold his younger brother to a circus to make money for this hobby. I know he just said it for fun but somehow I can't forget it.

I'm a full time employee and I spend a part of my savings for this hobby. I have wife and baby, so my spending is seriously limited because of family responsibilities. Had I started this hobby before my marriage I would have spent at least 3x the money I've spent so far.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 49
Simple, don't spend (as much) on the things that people normally use their disposable income on, like sports gear, PC & peripherals, video games, car, etc and spend it on audio instead.
Not saying that this is good advice, but if it makes you happy ..

And if you're young, mooch off your parents ("Mom, this headphone looks awfully tempting, and my birthday is coming up") and save up your "gift" money if you get any, and get a part-time job.
You prolly won't be able to afford that L3000 system, but you can still put down a "performance" system for not much money (relatively spoken).

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one thing about audio equipment as time goes by the need to upgrade
never seems to go away.

I think that's probably true of any hobby. There's always something new around the corner you just have to have. Do you need it? Probably not. But do you WANT it?

I remember the good old days before the world wide web where your main source of info would be magazines and friends. You'd only have the one or two review to go on, then it's up to you whether you'd want to make a trip to the shop to have a listen, so upgrading (if ever) took a bit more time.

I've got to delete this forum from my bookmarks.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

one thing about audio equipment as time goes by the need to upgrade never seems to go away.

so true.

i'm pretty content with my G08/Apache but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about an 808/B52.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

one thing about audio equipment as time goes by the need to upgrade never seems to go away.

Thats true, for headphones as for most other gear related hobbies.
We always strive for something who will give us a higher amount of pleasure. Being sound quality, speed, envious looks, ...

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying used and penny pinching. I don't drink or smoke, so that saves a lot. I also don't go on vacations and generally pretty stingy when it comes to spending money on clothes/attires.

You can of course save on clothes/attires too by listening to your music au naturel at home. Just make sure your neighbors cannot look inside!
280smile.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #44 of 49
Be happy with what you have until you can afford.

Currently happy with AD900.

Saving for K701 and Amp. That's the I'm doing it, get something I can afford for now until I have saved for something better. And no I'm not going to reduce my diet to ramens or resort to credit.

I'm sure that's how everyone who has incredible stuff has done it. College, Job, Promotion, Lots of Fun with new stuff

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #45 of 49
The desire to get something better than what you already have can be a killer. Anyway, I will have to replace my current amp soon because it's playing up. I want to get a better amp but something equivalent should do the job too, and save some money for rainy days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back