Affordability
Sep 20, 2007 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Audio-Omega

Headphoneus Supremus
I bet most of us here are not millionaires but I see quite a few have high-end headphones, amps and so on. I could only have one pair of headphones, one amp and one source, in order to live within my means. I wonder how did you afford them ?
blink.gif
Don't tell me you guys live on Macdonald's or 2 minute noodles.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 49
In my earlier days, I had to pinch pennies, too.

But, after many years in a good career, and great investments, I can now get all the stuff that I used to "wish" for, but couldn't get.

It is probably a similar situation with others here, that have "good stuff".

It didn't just "happen" -- you gotta work for it -- unless you were lucky enough to be born rich or inherited it.

Graduate college -- work hard, do well in a decent career -- or start a viable business -- it will then come to you, eventually....

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet most of us here are not millionaires but I see quite a few have high-end headphones, amps and so on. I could only have one pair of headphones, one amp and one source, in order to live within my means. I wonder how did you afford them ?
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Beggared myself.

And used most of my share option money.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 49
You can get a top tiered setup for under $1000. I have one imo.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Most of the time it is a question of priority in life...

Some of my co-workers are driving cars much bigger and much more expansive than mine. It's there right of course, but with the difference in price between their cars (Mercedes, Audi,...) and mine (Subaru) let me tell you that I can get a GREAT audio system!

You never know what people do with there money and what are there priorities in life...

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 49
Worn out clothes, a burgeoning student loan balance, a pc thats growing a beard and drawing a pension, a mostly megre diet, cheap supermarket booze and keeping the household bills down, along with a few deent job hours during term time and a vigourous sweaty busy summer job.

Also buying used and having a generous, pretty well off, and extensive family network.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petyot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the time it is a question of priority in life...

Some of my co-workers are driving cars much bigger and much more expansive than mine. It's there right of course, but with the difference in price between their cars (Mercedes, Audi,...) and mine (Subaru) let me tell you that I can get a GREAT audio system!

You never know what people do with there money and what are there priorities in life...

couldn't agree more. it's the priority in life.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my earlier days, I had to pinch pennies, too.

But, after many years in a good career, and great investments, I can now get all the stuff that I used to "wish" for, but couldn't get.

It is probably a similar situation with others here, that have "good stuff".

It didn't just "happen" -- you gotta work for it -- unless you were lucky enough to be born rich or inherited it.

Graduate college -- work hard, do well in a decent career -- or start a viable business -- it will then come to you, eventually....

Can't help agreeing with this statement because it's true.One thing that can be done now would be , over time , selling your headphones and buying better phones.After a while you will have experienced better headphones without breaking the bank.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 49
for all of school - many years - , i used one setup: kenwood CD player ($250), Corda HA1 MK1 ($300), HD580 w/ oelhbach cable ($190). i was more than happy with that. eventually through savings and other money, i got a much better CD player (not my G08), but still used the other components. once i got a real job, i started to explore different types of headphones, amps, and other gear. my current rig is not cheap but is the product of many years in audio and on head-fi and a few solid years of full-time work.

however, just because i have a steady income does not mean that i spend recklessly. unless you are extremely well off, every dollar is important and needs to be accounted for and spent wisely - esp. when you are independent and solely responsible for all the bills, rent, repayment of loans, and other expenses.

so i would say to those who are in school or otherwise on very limited budgets, save for an acquire a modest setup - buy used to get the most from your dollar - and enjoy it. in time, you will be able to buy more.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 49
Some buy cars, some buy headphones.

Really, once you start making money, this hobby is dirt cheap. On track days I see tons of people dropping $600 for a set of tires that will be worn before they go home. A father of a friend of mine just dropped another couple grand into his boat, which he has spent who knows how much on. A good fishing pole and tackle can run you a grand. A beat up car to restore could run you as much as a set of R-10's.

This hobby is dirt cheap compared to some of the things people get into once they have some money under their belt.

For members of college-fi though, where a lot of us started, dropping $1K on a set of headphones might seem mind blowing. Once you get real expenses (house, car, etc.) $1K in disposable income really isn't that much anymore if you are careful with your money. People blow that kind of change all the time, they just do it in small amounts here and there and don't even realize it. A good example, for those of us addicted to coffee, if you go to Dunkin Donuts instead of Starbucks (btw, DD's coffee is far superior) you will put an extra $800-$1K in your pocket a year. Double that if you make your own.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 49
I find this to be a good value to benefit hobby, since the better components hold their value pretty well. If one can buy stuff reasonably and take good care of it, then nothing really gets used up. More like renting - usually for a small fee plus shipping.

Got to agree with Chu about DD coffee vs. Starbucks battery acid, but that's another subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back