Affordability
Sep 21, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 49
Helps to have marketable skills.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet most of us here are not millionaires but I see quite a few have high-end headphones, amps and so on. I could only have one pair of headphones, one amp and one source, in order to live within my means. I wonder how did you afford them ?
blink.gif
Don't tell me you guys live on Macdonald's or 2 minute noodles.
biggrin.gif

I work part time, & barely make a grand a month.. But I save what I have, & don't do much.. & buy cheap food, & buy used.. I spent like 3,500 since last June. I'm far from a millionaire. It's about priority. & audio is my number 1 priority in life..

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 49
Saved up over a few internships and I cook instead of eating out. I live with 2 other apartment - mates so rent isn't too expensive. Just a lot of saving i suppose. All my gear is used or DIY.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #20 of 49
Honestly this hobby isn't that expensive when you think about it and compare it to a lot of other hobbies. As previously mentioned, racing and cars in general are a helluva hobby. I've had friends drop grand after grand just to get gains of about 30~hp.

As a photographer...that's an expensive hobby/job, especially being in college-fi. A good lens cost easily a grand if not more so, not to mention you have to mount that lens on a body. A good digital body right now is about another grand. Not to mention you need a variety of lenses to get the type of shots you need to sell. The only saving grace is that you can get a job doing your hobby and sell your pictures to pay for everything. So a good set up for head-fi may cost you 2k (if you're generous with multiple headphones) while a good setup in photography will cost you at least 3.5k if not more (2-3 lenses plus body, plus filters, plus media). We're talking digital here, not film (which gets better results but is STILL more expensive).

So...yeah this is an expensive hobby (compared to others) but it's not that terrible compared to others lol. Plus it's sooooo much easier too. You just sit down and enjoy the music! Maybe even dance a bit lol.
600smile.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 49
I've just learned to focus my leisure spending primarily on audio.

If you have limited funds, you should probably stick to budget-fi, but an opportunist can stretch a budget pretty far living off the scraps of those who've succumbed to "big eyes syndrome."

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petyot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the time it is a question of priority in life...

Some of my co-workers are driving cars much bigger and much more expansive than mine. It's there right of course, but with the difference in price between their cars (Mercedes, Audi,...) and mine (Subaru) let me tell you that I can get a GREAT audio system!

You never know what people do with there money and what are there priorities in life...

x2 - i like your analogy, so true with my friends and peers, a lot of them drive real fancy high end cars, and then pull into a disproportionately small house, thats how they have chosen to represent themselves.

i however, like to live in a larger house, buy nice audio and computer kit, and i drive a shabby workhorse of an volvo estate, i couldnt care less about peoples impressions when i am on a motorway not knowing them from adam.

its all about personal opinion and priorities as mentioned.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #23 of 49
I hardly have high-end gear, but it's good enough for me. And compared to my poker budget, it's peanuts. Buying and selling is the way to go for me, so I don't keep a lot of stuff around collecting dust. I use most of my phones (trying to sell my RP-21s, since I never really use them). Not sure I will ever get to the real high-end headphone-wise, but it would be fun too. Maybe if I can just win one major poker tournament...

On the other side, I have a T-Amp, two very old speakers (KLH circa 1966, a friend gave them to me) and a $60 Sony DVD/CD player (got it for free with Sony credit card points) in my office. Total cost: $40. Guess what? It sounds incredible (I recommend the T-Amp to any low-budget, hi-SQ freaks out there). So spending a lot isn't always necessary.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 49
Pretty simple!
If you don't have enough money you simply earn too little...
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty simple!
If you don't have enough money you simply earn too little...
tongue.gif

I definitely earn too little, but I am making efforts to change that.
icon10.gif

However, some people make a lot of money, but cannot live withing their means, so they end up with nothing left over.

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its all in the over time.
I'm working an average 20 hours OT a week to supply my need for audiophilia.

Whats life without music?

what's music without time to enjoy it?

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its all in the over time.
I'm working an average 20 hours OT a week to supply my need for audiophilia.

Whats life without music?

I'd like the paycheck for 20 hours of OT, but I seldom get more than 2.5 or so a week. I can't justify working 12 hour days.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, some people make a lot of money, but cannot live withing their means, so they end up with nothing left over.

True. The more you earn the more you spend.
But then again, its easier for one with a high income to put some money aside for hobbies (like headphones...).

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #30 of 49
Each month, the money piles up higher and higher -- so I have to spend some on cans and more CD's to manage it.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back