AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #5,401 of 5,483
Then again, maybe I should just quit speculating and enjoy the music.

This is the kind of attitude we need more of in the hobby. :-D

FWIW, my favorite pairing with the Aeon is right out of a Mojo. The sound you get from such a cheap setup (relatively speaking) is way better than you'd expect in that price range. This is doubly true now that the AFC and Mojo can both be gotten at a steep discount used.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5,402 of 5,483
This is the kind of attitude we need more of in the hobby. :-D

FWIW, my favorite pairing with the Aeon is right out of a Mojo. The sound you get from such a cheap setup (relatively speaking) is way better than you'd expect in that price range. This is doubly true now that the AFC and Mojo can both be gotten at a steep discount used.
Yep at the end of the day it's all about enjoyment! Having said that the Aeons give me more enjoyment than any other phone I've tried (I'm running Open X version for full transparency though hope to add a Closed X, RT, 2, or Noire version soon).

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #5,403 of 5,483
FWIW, my favorite pairing with the Aeon is right out of a Mojo.
My personal favorite amp for the AFC is Woo WA8. Not as cheap as the Mojo, but to my taste the tubes make the AFC sound so good! :)

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #5,404 of 5,483
AFO X is sublime with tubes also.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #5,405 of 5,483
My personal favorite amp for the AFC is Woo WA8. Not as cheap as the Mojo, but to my taste the tubes make the AFC sound so good! :)

The 8 is the "portable" one right? Maybe I'll get to hear it when I see you at Canjam! Right now I don't have any tube amps setup with a low enough impedance to do the Aeon justice. I suppose it could work with the Project Solstice, but that's in a box right now. It's not a great fit with the Crack.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #5,406 of 5,483
The 8 is the "portable" one right?
Yes.
1623437888633.png

Maybe I'll get to hear it when I see you at Canjam!
I have no intention to bring mine along, but I am sure Woo will have some :wink:

Right now I don't have any tube amps setup with a low enough impedance to do the Aeon justice. I suppose it could work with the Project Solstice, but that's in a box right now. It's not a great fit with the Crack.
With those low impedance planars - you need tube hybrid amps. Not OTL amps like the Crack. I tried mine on a Glenn OTL, out of curiosity, and it sounded very weird.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #5,407 of 5,483
After a couple of weeks with the AFC RTs, I'm really enjoying them. The stock sound is great and I'm currently happy with the black felt tuning pads (2nd least dampening) running off of the jumpered Emotiva A-100 that also powers my desktop Revel speakers.

These aren't quite as dynamic or sudden as the Elegias and I can see why some might find them flat/dry, particularly if they don't have solid power driving things, but the gap to my ears isn't that wide and adding a few db to the lowest octave brings out plenty of thump on the rap and electronic I listen to; guitars and rock/metal are excellent as well, with Flaw's Endangered Species album being one of my personal test benchmarks. Any shortcomings though are more than made up for IMO by the very natural and effortless tonality and presentation. Soundstage isn't the widest (less than the Elegia and LCD-2 closed) but it's more than satisfactory and the imaging and separation within it are clean and defined, avoiding the 3-blob effect, and the layering and depth of detail are very satisfying as well. I'll confess to leaning to closed backs in general, perhaps because my house can be really noisy, and these isolate very well if one needs that.

I was thinking that I'd be deciding between these and the LCD-2 closed but they're each great and different enough that, to the chagrin of my wallet, I'm likely going to keep them both. I've already sold my DT-1990s and the Elegia is probably the next up on the block, if only because they don't isolate as well as these two/I don't want to deal with felt discoloration and pad replacement cost/it's the only one I have to EQ to fully enjoy and I don't like using EQ strictly for simplicity reasons. The stable would be the AFC RTs (daily driver-type usage), LCD-2 closed (bassy, thumping, tune-out-reality mood), HE-500s (still my overall favorites, rock out mood), and HE6se v2s (super detailed quiet-in-the-house mood).

What a great time for this hobby... so many quality options available with different ways to experience the sound. Very glad I gave these a shot.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #5,408 of 5,483
Any suggestions for where I can get a padded headband cover for Aeon 2 (Open)? Padded is more comfortable for me, and I have jury-rigged one with velcro straps for now.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #5,410 of 5,483
Any suggestions for where I can get a padded headband cover for Aeon 2 (Open)? Padded is more comfortable for me, and I have jury-rigged one with velcro straps for now.
Amazon has a wide selection of wraps for headphones...

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #5,411 of 5,483
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #5,412 of 5,483
Amazon has a wide selection of wraps for headphones...
I've struggled to find one that can handle the wide part in the middle but thin where it attaches to the metal. I already tried a couple hoping they'll fit but didn't. Cheers

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #5,413 of 5,483
Hello,
Compared to the Audeze Lcd 2c where does the R/T closed stand?
Somehow it itches me and yet somehow it doesn't.
Sometimes I would just like to enjoy the sound even if my wife's 3D printers are running on the side.
That only works to a limited extent with the Lcd2 C.

That's why the closed version would be interesting for me and possibly mobile with the Nuprime Hi mdac where the Ipad would be the player or only the playback medium.
The Nuprime has a separate 3.5 mm input.
The other question would be can it be ordered somewhere in Europe or does it have to be on Dan Clark's site?

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #5,414 of 5,483
Hello,
Sometimes I would just like to enjoy the sound even if my wife's 3D printers are running on the side.

That's why the closed version would be interesting for me and possibly mobile with the Nuprime Hi mdac where the Ipad would be the player or only the playback medium.
The other question would be can it be ordered somewhere in Europe or does it have to be on Dan Clark's site?
No clue about the RT but the other æons can be found at thomann

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #5,415 of 5,483
Hello,

You looking for closed vs closed comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back