AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 2, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #5,371 of 5,483
I had both, sold both. Not due to their sound quality tho. More due to not using closed headphones, and wanting to spend in other stuff.

The Aeon 2 are more refined technically, less glare from reflections, less damped overall too. But the tuning was too much V shaped for my taste. Nothing like the original Aeon tuning.

It's like a Denon D2000 or Fostex TH vs a HD600 kind of difference.

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #5,372 of 5,483
Thanks.
I prefer linear tuning in home stereo, I use Genelec 8153 + GLM room correction and so I started with more linear headphones like Sennheiser HD600 and AFC, but realised that I prefer headphones with a more „fuller„ (Harmann curve?) sound, as with HD58x vs HD600.
I might try out the noire (closer to harmann and better looks :wink:).

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #5,373 of 5,483
Did you try my suggested PEQ from the previous page here? It's good just to hear the Harman tuning to get a picture of what it does. One can learn a lot from making educated adjustments with PEQ. Filters the tuning from the technicalities. Comparing my HD800, LCD2C, Clear, all PEQ-ed to Harman was very educative.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #5,374 of 5,483
Not yours, but the settings from oratory.
I use UAPP for that, which is part of the „problem“. They have the „bit perfect“ mode and now a small little man in my head says „Don‘t use EQ, use bit perfect, because it’s PERFECT.“ :wink: Now I am looking for headphones which sounds more to my (actual) liking without EQing.
I know, not very rational, but its a hobby. :wink:
I will try your settings, maybe I can quite down the little guy.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #5,375 of 5,483
Sorry I cannot be more specific as I do not own an AF2C or noire. I am still deciding if I should upgrade from the AFC to the AF2C. Most reviews claim that they are better mainly due to the newer ether 2 driver. The usual suspects, better detail retrieval, dynamics, bass extension, and soundstage.
Yes to all, maybe except dynamics, still weak sauce, but might be a thing that you want for longer listening sessions, it's very non-fatiguing. The 2 closed is quite abit warmer than the RT, for what it's worth. It's an excellent headphone, but to me it wasn't worth the upgrade cos I won't bring it out of the house with an amp powerful enough to run it.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #5,376 of 5,483
After reading a recommendation in this topic I've decided to order VesperAudio custom earpads for around 60 USD + shipping. Got them within 1 month and been using them since January 2021.
I'm very happy with my order and rate them solid 4.5/5.

I've specifically ordered only man-made materials:
— Outer and inner walls: soft glossy durable synthetic leather (I have no idea which brand but it's extremely soft and pleasant yet seems to be way more durable than the original; the material is much thicker and should never flake like the original earpads did after just about a year).
— The part that touches the head: black Alcantara. Very soft and now I have no problem with keeping this part of the earphones dry, unlike the original earpads. No issues with the seal quality, it's 100% sealed like the original (while they were new and not flaked!) though with a bit less pronounced "pop" when I remove them from my head.
— Inner material is ultra-soft memory foam.

I've ordered an (extremely) custom bulky version (35/27 mm back/front thickness) as the original earpads with filters touched my ears and caused itching. No such issue with these custom earpads even though they're even softer!

The earpads are simply attached with extremely tacky 3M adhesive material (it sticks extremely well to the headphone surface but not so hard with the earpads, allowing me to cleanly remove earpads and reinstall if necessary on the installed adhesive, without any adhesive leftover on the earpads). Beware—this adhesive must be applied cautiously as if it bends during installation you can't change its shape, and VesperAudop ships only a pair of these unless you request more (I would suggest ordering 3-4 of these so you don't need to worry about installation!).

Why 4.5/5 and not 5/5? See one of the photos, it shows how these earpads look from the inside—there is ~3 mm distance due to the manufacturing technology/stitching on the internal side. Though this space could be used to glue or stitch the original black felt insert filter (that comes UNDER the original earpads in case of Aeon Flow Closed; there is no such filter in Aeon Flow Opened). I just placed both white and black filter inserts in a sandwich from the outer side of the earpad so I can experiment with both filters easily. Even in such configuration they still don't touch my ears thanks to a really good thickness.

Highly recommend it to every Aeon user! I have no idea whether the manufacturer has really fixed the issue with the original earpads. I guess they did it but still, I preferred to order custom-made earpads to ensure additional thickness and not worrying about getting my ears itchy due to unpleasant contact with the filter inserts (they are really rough except the foam black one!).

Regards!

UPD. November 2022: These earpads started flacking heavily, my fault of trusting synthetic leather once again and not cleaning them as often as necessary to remove skin oil (which is fatal even for more sturdy materials). Alcantara part is still in good condition though. Also, they've lost their shape considerably and require some "massaging" (which further contributed to flaking)—the seller suggested before order that with the very thick memory foam may be unstable and it's better to order cheaper acoustic foam. I will consider ordering from them again or trying Dekoni pads.

Attachments

• VesperAudio-Aeon-ComparsionWithOriginal.jpeg
    VesperAudio-Aeon-ComparsionWithOriginal.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 0
  • VesperAudio-Aeon-inside.jpeg
    VesperAudio-Aeon-inside.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VesperAudio-Aeon-installed.jpeg
    VesperAudio-Aeon-installed.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 0
  • VesperAudio-Aeon-installed2.jpeg
    VesperAudio-Aeon-installed2.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #5,377 of 5,483
After reading a recommendation in this topic I've decided to order VesperAudio custom earpads for around 60 USD + shipping. Got them within 1 month and been using them since January 2021.
Hi. Did you notice any changes in sound? Do these pads change a frequency response curve anyhow?

I know that Dekoni have two version of pads for Aeon and they publish some graphs with "new" FR curve per each version of pads.

Did anybody try Dekoni pads on them? (found a review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dekoni-audio-elite-ear-pads-for-dan-clark-audio-aeon.24578/)

P.S. By the way, I'm a big fan of the original Aeon C Flow. I have the 3rd pair already. I don't even look at Aeon 2)

22.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #5,378 of 5,483
The Aeon 2 are more refined technically, less glare from reflections, less damped overall too. But the tuning was too much V shaped for my taste. Nothing like the original Aeon tuning.
This is the key stopper for me from buying Aeon 2.
Hope they come up with Aeon 3 one day tuned like Aeon 1! Fingers crossed :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #5,379 of 5,483
Hi. Did you notice any changes in sound? Do these pads change a frequency response curve anyhow?
Hello! They change the frequency response curve as the case with any earpad replacements—the question is only how much and where exactly. These are completely hand-made and were never measured in a lab, so I can express only my subjective opinion. I found these to perform just like the originals were before they started flaking and lost their sealing quality. I guess having solid (p)leather walls like the originals as well as decent airtight seal quality is essential to keep the FR curve. These are perfect in this regard while providing great comfort. I don't feel that increased wall height somehow affected the FR curve.

Dekoni makes three versions of Aeon earpads and I was considering "Elite Hybrid" initially—I wanted something like it but significantly thicker and cushy to ensure my ears will never get itchy due to contact with the earpad inserts (that are essential to keep the proper FR curve). Plus I just wanted 100% man-made durable materials.

I especially enjoy the cozy touch of Alcantara on my skin. With the original pleather material, it always got wet there and I cleaned it every few hours with a dry wipe. With Alcantara, I never feel that it's getting wet even after very long hours (even if it's absorbing some sweat, it probably dries during the time when I don't use the headphones). All while keeping decent airtight seal quality (not as poppy as the new originals though with originals it depends a lot on whether you have extra hair there!) so I don't lose bass (or at least I don't feel like it got any worse). To me, it's a huge comfort win and I would always prefer these over originals and non-hybrid alternatives.

Regards!

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #5,380 of 5,483
Guys, hi again. Here i enjoy my Aeons. The sound signature drastically changed after 100 hours. I'm also one of the guys who thinks purchase another pair of Aeon 2 maybe. I don't want my headphones to get old quick, i wear them 5-6 hours a day. (lower than 70db no worries here, mostly teams calls.)

btw thin black filter is best in my opinion for both clarity and bass quantity.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #5,381 of 5,483
Guys, hi again. Here i enjoy my Aeons. The sound signature drastically changed after 100 hours. I'm also one of the guys who thinks purchase another pair of Aeon 2 maybe. I don't want my headphones to get old quick, i wear them 5-6 hours a day. (lower than 70db no worries here, mostly teams calls.)

btw thin black filter is best in my opinion for both clarity and bass quantity.
Buy a proper business headset for the meetings. To me it makes no sense to put the wear and tear on your music headphone for meetings. I think you will regret that over time, personally.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #5,382 of 5,483
Buy a proper business headset for the meetings. To me it makes no sense to put the wear and tear on your music headphone for meetings. I think you will regret that over time, personally.

Have airpods but i find it uncomfortable compared to aeons. But you are %100 right. I’ll check into that.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #5,383 of 5,483

Speaking for myself of course, I am in Zoom about half of the day as it’s not only for meetings but to simulate being in the same office (I’m a software developer) so I often have music on and off throughout the day (which I can keep to myself or share, thanks to my mixer, depending on the situation and the wishes of my colleague)... so I’m most often sitting or standing with my LCD-2 with boom mic. 😅

I wouldn’t want to listen to music on a normal headset. 👀

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #5,384 of 5,483
Speaking for myself of course, I am in Zoom about half of the day as it’s not only for meetings but to simulate being in the same office (I’m a software developer) so I often have music on and off throughout the day (which I can keep to myself or share, thanks to my mixer, depending on the situation and the wishes of my colleague)... so I’m most often sitting or standing with my LCD-2 with boom mic. 😅

I wouldn’t want to listen to music on a normal headset. 👀
Same here, I wouldn't want to listen to music with the company supplied crappy haedset. The ones that they gave me are on ears and get uncomfortable after a while. I use either the Aeon 2 closed with a modmic or the Drop-Sennheiser PC 37X for meetings.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #5,385 of 5,483
You people are lucky, in my job, that has to be done in person, music isn't an option, as well, I can't work and listen to music as I find it far too distracting. I guess that is why my thinking stayed clearly in the box!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back