AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 2, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #5,326 of 5,483
I love my original AFC's!!!! But Wireless has me changing my recent thoughts....It's just so great to be cable free!!~!~. So I have been rocking the latest Sony WH-1000 XM4's while walking the dog and getting very use to Cable Free enjoyment....seems like a lot Headphone makers have built or are building a TWS headphone!

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5,329 of 5,483
I recently replaced the ear pads on my Aeon Flow Closed and found that black felt pads had been installed underneath them. I bought 'em used and believe they're from the first production line batch. Is this normal? Maybe the previous owner wanted even more bass so he decided to install there? Thoughts?

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #5,330 of 5,483
Nope, that's the factory installed filters, underneath the pads (white and black on top of that). Only the Open comes without black filter between the pad and the driver (Open only have the white filter, which shows in photos, unlike on the Closed)

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #5,331 of 5,483
Yes, there is black felt filter between the pads and driver on AFC 1.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #5,332 of 5,483
I think I might like the Closed better than the Open, despite my appreciation for the warmer sound of the Open -- but these sound more balanced. A great pickup I am enjoying on my ears right now, picked these up used in the For Sale here.

The cups are fingerprint magnets, though, for sure... :)

IMG_4616.jpeg

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #5,333 of 5,483
I think I might like the Closed better than the Open, despite my appreciation for the warmer sound of the Open -- but these sound more balanced. A great pickup I am enjoying on my ears right now, picked these up used in the For Sale here.

The cups are fingerprint magnets, though, for sure... :)

IMG_4616.jpeg

Easy solution; wipe the painted and carbon surfaces with a carnuba car wax. No prints!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 24, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #5,335 of 5,483
Easy solution; wipe the painted and carbon surfaces with a carnuba car wax. No prints!

holy cow, I would not have guessed that, thanks for the tip!:beerchug: I love the form factor of the Aeon and the fact that they’re lightweight. Isolation on the closed model is rather surprising, too, in a good way.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #5,336 of 5,483
I just joined the Aeon C club and I have had them for a half hour, and I am …

gobsmacked, amazed, exhilarated, overwhelmed, and breathless!
I cannot stop smiling!!!

Coming from my Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 theses headphones are a revelation!!!
These headphones are relentless, unforgiving, true, and musical.

I get it now, what I have been reading from all of you and secretly having a bit of “how much better really can they be?” and I can say it is night and day! Old music is new!!!

That is all for now I need to go rediscover my favorites…

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #5,337 of 5,483
Well, it has been a whole day with the new to me Aeon’s and it just keeps getting better. This is a major step up for me and I see that I am in a rarified league when it comes amplification. Currently I am running off a JDS labs atom amp which I love. One of my test tracks Polaris by deadmau5 made me jump a little today when I was listening with these headphones, fun times!

I need some input from more knowledgeable members. I also have a Little Dot mk3 and have converted it to be able to use 6dj8 tubes. It hates this headphone !!! it will play but anything over 40% power on almost any gain setting is major distortion and general grossness. Is it just not made for these types of headphones or is it me?

Thank you
Gary

My Spotify playlist for testing audio equipment, I know it is not Tidal but it has 20 hrs of some pretty amazing demanding tracks.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3YgTnMSELTarWcQOBUQF33?si=lgHX8TnjS3qMmy_GQv8pUQ

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #5,338 of 5,483
I need some input from more knowledgeable members. I also have a Little Dot mk3 and have converted it to be able to use 6dj8 tubes. It hates this headphone !!! it will play but anything over 40% power on almost any gain setting is major distortion and general grossness. Is it just not made for these types of headphones or is it me?
Generally, low impedance planars and tubes tend to get wonky.

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #5,340 of 5,483
Well, it has been a whole day with the new to me Aeon’s and it just keeps getting better. This is a major step up for me and I see that I am in a rarified league when it comes amplification. Currently I am running off a JDS labs atom amp which I love. One of my test tracks Polaris by deadmau5 made me jump a little today when I was listening with these headphones, fun times!

Thank you
Gary

My Spotify playlist for testing audio equipment, I know it is not Tidal but it has 20 hrs of some pretty amazing demanding tracks.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3YgTnMSELTarWcQOBUQF33?si=lgHX8TnjS3qMmy_GQv8pUQ
Great Deadmau5 test track by the way, so many to chose from. No, it isn't you, tube amps are not universally appropriate. A good solid state amp is the way to go here, IMO. Valve amps can under proper matching conditions introduce distortion products that for many people are perceived as pleasant, but as I said earlier, it is far from a universal outcome so matching matters. Those glowing tubes are extremely sexy, I have had a few valve amps in my day, and with higher impedance headphones I have had some really pleasant results so I am not against valve amps generally, but I also recognize there are very clear technical issues that will result in matching issues such as you're describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back