AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 8, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #5,311 of 5,483
I can't say why the A2C sounds bad and why the Ether 2 sounds good with the RNHP. What sounds good and what sounds bad is fairly relative from person to person. I will go over the RNHP specs below.

Looking at the manual sheet for the RNHP provided by roskodan, and doing a little bit of calculation, I would think that the RNHP has enough voltage AND current output to make the A2C reach about 110dB without missing out on dynamic range.

Using this measurement as reference: 16 Ω typical Load: 1.933 VAC RMS @1kHz = 230mW RMS

This would mean that for a 13 ohm load, the RNHP would have roughly around 2.379 VAC RMS @1kHz = 283mW RMS

Doing a reverse calculation of power with the VAC provided, you would have about 118mA current feed to the A2C, which is plenty of headroom given that it requires around 20mA to reach 100dB SPL for the A2C (using this as reference: http://www.digizoid.com/power.php)

Unless I'm missing something in viewing this, I would think the RNHP has enough voltage and current output to drive the A2C. I welcome someone else to correct my assumptions here.

You need to notice the main feature. Power falls on the RNHP from 44 Ohms down. So the power is lower at 13 ohms. Which means the RNHP is heavily current limited. Which is a huge problem for such headphones as MrSpeakers. Also that is probably the combined power output, as it's not specified per channel, so got to halve whatever figure you calculate.

Also those power rating are useless without distortion figures.

But the main problem is current limiting. The amp losing power at lower loads.

It may sound good, gotta try it to know it. However I wouldn't bet on it, especially since the member in question reported a disappointing performance. And also based on my experience with many other amps.

And the headphone in question is the AFC2.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #5,312 of 5,483
New Test:

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-hel-yeah-review/

Our Verdict
The Antlion Mod Mic is a solid option, but I would prefer a tabletop mic. I think that is the weak point of the Hel Yeah! bundle and despite that, it is still a wonderful and worth wild mic option.

The Hel is absurdly gamer-friendly and clean for the price. Gamers will go bananas for it. But, that AEON Flow RT? It is my pick for the most gaming-friendly closed-back headphone out there right now. It really is that smooth and absolutely stunning for hours of fatigue-free audio.

Not just in gaming, but music too. If you want a very soft physical strike impact factor, this is your ticket. The bass response is fantastic. It is one of the best planar headphones for this type of sound. Undoubtedly.

Beyond that, you can tweak the tonality of its treble and bass with included fabric pieces that lay in the earcups. The headphone is a bit hard to drive, it has a planar driver so they are not efficient. That is where the Hel comes in to help, like care package for a 3x kill streak. Landing nearby to help you out and to mesh with your AEON Flow RT exactly right in terms of tonality.

Rig Pairing is important. You cannot just slap any headphones with any DAC and Amp and expect great things. Two amazing high-end products, a headphone, and a DAC, at random, offer no assurance of working together in tonality and presentation. Got to do your research.

In this case, the Hel Yeah! bundle is quite literally the most absurd audiophile “Gaming Rig” that is officially intended to be a gamer’s rig. I am impressed by how well they work together.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #5,313 of 5,483
You need to notice the main feature. Power falls on the RNHP from 44 Ohms down. So the power is lower at 13 ohms. Which means the RNHP is heavily current limited. Which is a huge problem for such headphones as MrSpeakers. Also that is probably the combined power output, as it's not specified per channel, so got to halve whatever figure you calculate.

Also those power rating are useless without distortion figures.

But the main problem is current limiting. The amp losing power at lower loads.

It may sound good, gotta try it to know it. However I wouldn't bet on it, especially since the member in question reported a disappointing performance. And also based on my experience with many other amps.

And the headphone in question is the AFC2.
You're right I did not account for the THD and SNR for them - that would skew the calculations further. I'm curious what the current to voltage output ratio is for the RNHP, but I suppose I would need to have one and test it for curiosity.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #5,314 of 5,483
New Test:

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-hel-yeah-review/

Our Verdict
The Antlion Mod Mic is a solid option, but I would prefer a tabletop mic. I think that is the weak point of the Hel Yeah! bundle and despite that, it is still a wonderful and worth wild mic option.

The Hel is absurdly gamer-friendly and clean for the price. Gamers will go bananas for it. But, that AEON Flow RT? It is my pick for the most gaming-friendly closed-back headphone out there right now. It really is that smooth and absolutely stunning for hours of fatigue-free audio.

Not just in gaming, but music too. If you want a very soft physical strike impact factor, this is your ticket. The bass response is fantastic. It is one of the best planar headphones for this type of sound. Undoubtedly.

Beyond that, you can tweak the tonality of its treble and bass with included fabric pieces that lay in the earcups. The headphone is a bit hard to drive, it has a planar driver so they are not efficient. That is where the Hel comes in to help, like care package for a 3x kill streak. Landing nearby to help you out and to mesh with your AEON Flow RT exactly right in terms of tonality.

Rig Pairing is important. You cannot just slap any headphones with any DAC and Amp and expect great things. Two amazing high-end products, a headphone, and a DAC, at random, offer no assurance of working together in tonality and presentation. Got to do your research.

In this case, the Hel Yeah! bundle is quite literally the most absurd audiophile “Gaming Rig” that is officially intended to be a gamer’s rig. I am impressed by how well they work together.

Personally, headfonics reviews are just reading poetry without substance to me.

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5,317 of 5,483
Thanks to Mr Speakers new AFC price....you won't get anywhere near what you paid..,.I own a pair as well...

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #5,318 of 5,483
Thanks to Mr Speakers new AFC price....you won't get anywhere near what you paid..,.I own a pair as well...

It will not get me 350$ ?

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #5,319 of 5,483
I think it sure should....I paid $800 for mine new.....bummer that value did not hold for long....that's the world of Music gear...

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #5,320 of 5,483
My DIY solution to a broken headband :)

1603888060486.png

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #5,321 of 5,483
Is there a cable with a microphone for the AFC 1?

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #5,322 of 5,483
Is there a cable with a microphone for the AFC 1?

We recommend just adding a mod-mic by Antlion. Easy, and they have wired, USB and Bluetooth options.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #5,324 of 5,483
Are the original's worth a try still? I found them for 350 and debating on picking them up or not. I want to upgrade my 4xx to something better.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #5,325 of 5,483
Are the original's worth a try still? I found them for 350 and debating on picking them up or not. I want to upgrade my 4xx to something better.
Just because the Aeon 2 are better - does not make the originals any less worthy of a headphone!
I have the original closed, and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back