AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 13, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #4,936 of 5,483
I've been listening to the AFC through a Magni/Modi and really enjoying it, however am looking for something a little more transportable. I've seen several recommendations for the ifi Micro Black Label, but haven't seen many selling used and the new price (600) is a bit steep at the moment. I auditioned on the black label in store and really liked it. How does the iFi xDSD compare? It seems to have many of the same features and is a bit more portable. Does anyone have experience with both who can comment on the similarities and differences specifically listening to the AFC?

Hey,

I’ve auditioned the aeons closed with my xdsd about three times now. I’m sold but have to wait for them to restock. I played the aeons on ifi’s idsd pro in tube mode and it’s clearly better but the xdsd does a sufficient job.

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #4,938 of 5,483
It's in my interest to answer questions that I can answer or that I think it is productive to answer. Not every question fits that, and no offense should be taken.

I got into this discussion because I felt it was suggested AEON's bass was designed to move people to ETHER C Flow, which not only was never considered but is directly opposed to how we design product. We do not design products to drive people up market, though it might be more profitable if we did. Instead, we push our technology down market in an effort to put out killer products at lower price points, as you clearly appreciate. Many companies may work as you suggest, though there are some, like Schiit, who have been something of a role model to us, and have done exceptionally well indeed. The point is only that our intention is literally the opposite of what you seemed to suggest, and I wanted to be really clear about our development strategy as it is a major philosophical underpinning of the business, and one I hope our customers appreciate.

Our business model and our approach to voicing are tightly coupled. I do not voice by "lows, mids and highs," I used to but now I find that far too limiting. I voice to create an experience, which to me is the totality of everything about the fit and function of the product. I try to maximize the quality of each product, regardless of price, and I never deliberately handicap a product. The tradeoffs vary for open and closed, large and small drivers, etc, so the voicing will have much in common, but also obvious differences. Some headphones will have bigger or lesser soundstage, more or less bass, more lively or slightly stepped back highs, but these factors are in many ways tied together. Since there is no single perfect voicing when you account for multiple variables, tuning makes sense because it allows owners to fine-tune within limits, to get the best balance of attributes for them. As a result, there are more than a few people who prefer the sound of an open or closed AEON to an open or closed ETHER, without consideration of price. Considering price, ETHER costs 2x more to make, so it costs 2x more to buy, but of course it is not 2x the experience (diminishing returns always come into play). My view is if you prefer ETHER and can afford it, great! If you prefer AEON and can afford ETHER, still great! And if you prefer ETHER but can't afford it AEON offers a fantastic value and a huge part of the performance. This is how I design products.

For most people the cost differential between AEON and ETHER is so high that it's a different product category altogether; most people in the market for an $800 headphone wouldn't consider another $1000, regardless of sonics or other attributes, it's a budget limit. Had upselling been our strategy it would have failed as jumping up over 2x in price only works for people for whom cost isn't a consideration, which is a much smaller part of the market. It should surprise no-one that when we spend more on parts, the sound quality will improve. Because we use so much common technology we expected AEON would cannibalize some ETHER sales but if that let us put 3x more headphones at 1/2 the price in more people's hands, that was OK. Bluntly, we would rather eat our own lunch than let someone else do it. In fact AEON initially slowed ETHER sales, but ETHER came roaring back to life in January and we've had a hard time keeping them in stock. I suppose it was just the channel clearing out inventory.

With respect to tuning kits, this is an evolving process. Sometimes our ideas work (AEON pads), sometimes they failed (Alpha tuning dots). Since Alpha tuning was a flop I didn't have it on my mind with ETHER, but It popped up again with ETHER 1.1 foam update. That foam was already part of the preliminary tuning in ETHER flow while it was in development, so I didn't think about tuning as a product feature. When AEON launched, I revisited tuning and followed my instincts to try the ETHER 1.1 approach as a test to offer a simple way to pick one of 2 voicings, which I hoped would expand the available market. Turned out people used both and many had preferences for one, so we expanded the options further with AEON open. That worked even better, so we expanded the choices for both with an enhanced kit that's really cheap and hopefully fun for those so inclined. Our approach evolves because I listen to what works, or doesn't, for people.

I myself use the tuning kits every day, I find AEON open works great for me for jazz or classical with no damping, for rock with black felt or 1 notch white, and for Electronica (or bright systems), 1 or 2 notch white. One headphone, three experiences. Work for everyone? Nope, but a lot of people like it and that is exactly the point, and I hope its especially useful for those for whom an $800 headphone is a major commitment where having multiple voicings can be used in place of investing in multiple headphones, allowing purchase of one better headphone, or better supporting gear. I consider tuning to now be a successful experiment and we'll continue to evolve it as a product feature where it makes sense. We even did it with VOCE.

Hi @mrspeakers, firstly I'd like to applaud you for your transparency and your no-b.s. approach to marketing, price-points, product-cannibalization, and end-user customization.

I received your Aeon Flow Closed today from a brick & mortar+online seller from Virginia on a good open-box deal. I'm especially pleased that your warranty is transferable with proper documentation.

I chose the AFCs because I'm in need of a 3rd high-quality pair of reference/neutral-ish headphones for music production. My other two pairs are HD650s and the Elegias. Neither of those are perfect in the neutrality department, but they're within working limits -- i.e. upon learning those headphones' strengths and weaknesses, I'm able to mix while mentally compensating for some of their relatively mild frequency imbalances. Despite owning the 650s, closed-back is a huge priority due to air conditioner noise in the hot So-Cal summers.

My initial impression with the AFCs is that they are impressively neutral, and that they'll most likely work for me. Although the very first thing I listened to was a pop-rock track by Haim without any of the tuning pads inserted (which led to thinking 'where's the bass?'), after listening to some Hans Zimmer and electronic music with the one-notch white pad inserted, I'm beginning to be pretty okay with the bass.

Here's where I have two questions for you:

1) Do you feel the RNHP amp is sufficient to get the most out of the AFCs? This amp works superbly with the Elegias and HD650s. But I'm not well-versed in the ohm/voltage/whatever aspect of amp-matching, so I'm wondering if there's a better amp out there ($500 or less) for planar drivers, specifically *your* planar drivers? I'm open minded to tube, solid state, whatever. Stronger bass coming from the amp wouldn't hurt, if that's even possible. I have enough outputs on my my DAC (Presonus Quantum 2) to add another amp to my chain.

2) On the subject of burn-in. I don't generally subscribe to it since the headphones I know and love have sounded essentially the same from the day I tried them through to this day. But those were all dynamic drivers, and I read on another MrSpeakers thread that you recommend burn-in for your planar drivers. How much burn-in time would you recommend, and is constant pink noise sufficient? What should/could I expect to change after the burn-in period? If that last question raises unfair expectations, no worries.

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #4,939 of 5,483
1-Main Pic.jpg
My text review of both versions of Æon: https://porta.fi/mrspeakers-aeon-flow-review-open-and-closed/
Russian version: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-naushnikov-mrspeakers-aeon-flow-i-otkrytye-i-zakrytye/

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #4,940 of 5,483
Hello,

I have the AFC since last Friday and it's fantastic as I expected. It's a new unit and I was surprised because the cable has a Neutrik 6.3mm jack.
It's normal the AFC have this type of cable?

I'm asking because I had the AFO and it came with a cable with 3.5mm jack with adaptor to 6.3mm (screw type).

Thank you in advance.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #4,943 of 5,483
The right earpad on my new pair of AFCs has become considerably deformed in just 4 days of use. It did have a strange sort of fold on the side to begin with though. Waiting to hear what my options are for support.

Also, the vocals, kick, bass, and snare, are all off to the left on every track I play. Dunno if this is due to the right earpad issues or a channel imbalance.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #4,944 of 5,483
The right earpad on my new pair of AFCs has become considerably deformed in just 4 days of use. It did have a strange sort of fold on the side to begin with though. Waiting to hear what my options are for support.

Also, the vocals, kick, bass, and snare, are all off to the left on every track I play. Dunno if this is due to the right earpad issues or a channel imbalance.

Several have had the same issue. Seems to be off centre to the left too.

Mine are away for repair at the moment for this issue. Isn't the pads. Mine specifically were off to the left up to 1khz, centred at 1khz, then up to 15khz or so would move around a fair bit.

Hope they fix it!

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #4,945 of 5,483
Several have had the same issue. Seems to be off centre to the left too.

Mine are away for repair at the moment for this issue. Isn't the pads. Mine specifically were off to the left up to 1khz, centred at 1khz, then up to 15khz or so would move around a fair bit.

Hope they fix it!

Thanks for the info. Do you have to pay for that repair or is it free under warranty?

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #4,946 of 5,483
If it is identified as a fualt under the warranty period, it's covered.

In Australia, if you have to post it away, the postage costs are also to be covered once the fault is confirmed.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #4,947 of 5,483
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #4,948 of 5,483
If it is identified as a fualt under the warranty period, it's covered.

In Australia, if you have to post it away, the postage costs are also to be covered once the fault is confirmed.
Hmm... I'm in the U.S., sent them a picture of the deformed right earpad and mentioned the channel imbalance. They just gave me an address to mail them to, to have the pads replaced. They didn't offer to cover postage nor did they acknowledge my concern about the channel imbalance. They did mention they had been travelling a lot though...

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #4,949 of 5,483
Yeah, my right pad was always a touch thinner and didn't keep shape as well as the left too. They just sent me new pads. Never changed then as they looked to have the same slight variation in thickness.

I just moulded the pads regularly like they say to.

Channel imbalance was real though, definately wasn't pads.

Apr 21, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #4,950 of 5,483

I had a similar issue. See here: https://imgur.com/a/ptT5r7W

I'm UK based and so they shipped me a new pair of pads from California for free, and then reimbursed me the import fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back