AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 20, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #4,907 of 5,483
To AFC folks: What do you think about AFC's portability? I am going to use it with a DAP and carry them in my backpack.
I take them along only for long flights - eg transatlantic -- otherwise too bulky compared to my more compact noise cancelling headphones or increasingly just IEMs.
IEMs don't block out all sound as much, but easier for short flights.

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #4,908 of 5,483
Looks like my stock cable is already starting to wear through. I can see red wiring in two spots, after ~6 weeks of use. Apparently this cables is kinkier than my fetish friends, but does not like being kinked?

Anyhow, I'm currently looking for suggestions on replacement cables.

I made my own 20 footer from bulk HP-1 cable from DH labs....they are a wonderful cable as long as you know how to handle a soldering iron...or they can build it for you....I added the sleeving from Parts Express IMG_1776.jpeg

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,910 of 5,483
Well had to get in touch with mrspeakers about the right plastic clamp getting stripped (screw just spins & that is after the first attempt to tighten the screw without any aggressive force). I was told that I might be required to pay customs charges for that, being and international customer. Am I wrong to expect that those costs should be covered by warranty?!

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #4,911 of 5,483
Well had to get in touch with mrspeakers about the right plastic clamp getting stripped (screw just spins & that is after the first attempt to tighten the screw without any aggressive force). I was told that I might be required to pay customs charges for that, being and international customer. Am I wrong to expect that those costs should be covered by warranty?!

I believe there is a form that can be filled out by the seller stating that it is a replacement part being sent at no cost which reduces or brings customs charges to zero. I'm not sure on standard protocol however.

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #4,912 of 5,483
I believe there is a form that can be filled out by the seller stating that it is a replacement part being sent at no cost which reduces or brings customs charges to zero. I'm not sure on standard protocol however.
Thanks for sharing! Really appreciate that..got an email with an attachment in response to my email (couldn't open the attachment though) and as I understood the response; charges may incur. I'll just have to see how they respond...already paid $20 for the replacement ear pad for the compressed right ear pad..let that go, happy to have that replaced regardless if I shouldn't have paid for that...but a piece of plastic?! If they don't come through I'll just have to find someone in Sweden with a 3D printer that will help me out with that.

Seems they already sent it :frowning2:
We'll just have to see what happens now
Well, it's been sent..with a clear message that any custom's fees are not covered for international customers....well know I know..that's something.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #4,913 of 5,483
A unexpected thing happened in my audio journey with the AFCs: I was looking for a budget headphone amp for the AFC at work (not being able to listen to it without one)... so I got the Aune X7s (1.7W class A, balanced+single ended out). Surprisingly, I'm pretty sure it's going to replace the Gilmore all together if this holds up - and I haven't even tried the balanced out (just ordered a cable from Mr Speakers for that).

In comparison to the Gilmore, the X7s has much better detail retrieval and separation, and is somewhat brighter. The sound stage is a little smaller (as a result?) but it's not harsher - in fact, it sounds more inviting and with more emotion. I heard new things like in Diana Krall 'East of the sun'.. I could hear the musician touching the strings, tapping the wood .. details but not as taking away from the overall music..just something that comes effortlessly.

I did not notice much difference in the low end - which to me signals that it drives the AFC well. The more forward character did have me swap the foam pads for the 1 notch damping pad for a more relaxed listen, but the Aune also added the foot tapping and 'swing in your chair' type of quality that I was lacking this far (my Adams A5Xs where trumping the AFC in that regard). Given I got my Aune for under half the price of the Gilmore, it's very impressive. Swapping back to the Gilmore, it sounds muddled and un-involved relatively. The Aune also looks better - it's a nicely designed case.

On the negative side, I don't feel the Aune is as well made and some components seems to have been chosen to get the price where it is. One of the connectors at the back has a light creaking sounds when pluging in the cable and must not be mounted 100% solid.. But perhaps the ebay deal that I got was B-stock, not sure. The volume pot also has a little low-volume channel imbalance and it lacks the switches of the Gilmore with 2 sources, and the ability to switch off the pre-out, which will be missed.

In conclusion, if you have an AFC or AFO (arriving today), you may want to try the X7s out - I think it's an excellent affordable pairing.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #4,914 of 5,483
Looks like my stock cable is already starting to wear through. I can see red wiring in two spots, after ~6 weeks of use. Apparently this cables is kinkier than my fetish friends, but does not like being kinked?

Anyhow, I'm currently looking for suggestions on replacement cables.

Contact us, it's under warranty. But be careful not to "fold" the cable, winding too tight or kinking the cable can cause the wire to penetrate a weave.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 27, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #4,915 of 5,483
Oh how I wish I could demo some high end headsets like this in my area of Canada. Living in a rural area really hinders my ability to purchase things like this.

I presently use a 'lol Sennheiser Game Zero" headset but I am out of the competitive FPS, my daughter is getting more into music with her Yamaha keyboard and mixer. How would these sound compared to the headphones I had? I believe they were HD380pro's relabeled. Driving them with a SoundBlaster AE-5 for now.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #4,916 of 5,483
I'm very enamoured with my AFCs, they add so little, they're so un-closed in character and as as a result so they're so versatile and balanced. I love them..they're keepers (until the costly moment that the E2C/EC2s come out?)!
Because they're neutral I also find pairing less critical - that's apart from that these love a great amp (that search is still underway).

The other thing I come to love is the pads that Mr Speakers includes. Switching from Gilmore to Aune X7s amp on my AFCs, I had to go foam > one notch damping pad ... but being able to do so offers listening pleasure and more versatility. I'm getting a hunch what that extensive voicing stack of Dan is translating in for us :)

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4,917 of 5,483
Oh how I wish I could demo some high end headsets like this in my area of Canada. Living in a rural area really hinders my ability to purchase things like this.

I presently use a 'lol Sennheiser Game Zero" headset but I am out of the competitive FPS, my daughter is getting more into music with her Yamaha keyboard and mixer. How would these sound compared to the headphones I had? I believe they were HD380pro's relabeled. Driving them with a SoundBlaster AE-5 for now.

Hard to compare, significant gap between the two.

After you hear the AFC, going back to the Zero would make it feel super muffled and dull. Hard to explain.

My AFC getting repaired, back using an old pair of HD558. Forgot what cheapish headphones sound like.

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #4,919 of 5,483
Hi @cleg, thanks for sharing your thoughts, and glad you enjoyed the AEONs!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back