AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #4,893 of 5,483
hmm I just ordered one, I hope I get black felt, mine came with the black foam and I cant use it because of the comfort issue.

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #4,896 of 5,483
I've got AFC for office use and they are in transit. My main criteria were:

1. Closed with good isolation
2. Light and comfortable enough
3. Sub 1000

Had Audeze EL-8C, sound was good for me but weight was just too much for me. Was considering Audeze Sine but it has a lot of reported comfort issues. Did not go for Ether CX due to lack of reviews.

Now, AFC seems to be a very controversial headphone. Most frequent complaint is a lack of dynamics. My current T50rp modded/HE-400i don't actually have nice slam of EL-8C (not a bassy headphone but still), and I miss that.

I'm an avid IEM user that like airy and detailed armature sound and not a basshead at all, given that I won't probably complain about anemic sound. I like piercing treble but also very sensitive to mid spikes.

Given I live in backwater European country with zero chances of auditioning anything before I buy, I'm I going to regret this?

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #4,897 of 5,483
Cortlendt, I do not think you will regret buying the AFC. They fit your criteria extremely well. In my experience, they sound as good as any headphone I've heard for under $1000, closed or open. I'm not saying they are the best headphones under $1000 (that's a subjective call), but they are worthy contenders.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #4,898 of 5,483
Cortlendt, I do not think you will regret buying the AFC. They fit your criteria extremely well. In my experience, they sound as good as any headphone I've heard for under $1000, closed or open. I'm not saying they are the best headphones under $1000 (that's a subjective call), but they are worthy contenders.

Thank you for you reply.

I'm very interested how AFC compares to $900 Ether CX, but it's maybe to early for Ether CX reviews ATM.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #4,899 of 5,483
I haven't heard the Ether CX. My placing the AFC as a top contender in the under $1000 range is based on my having heard the Audeze LCD2, Mr Speakers AFO, Sennheiser HD600 and 650, Oppo PM1, Audioquest NightOwl. I might be forgetting one or two more. I live in a part of the U.S. where auditioning audiophile headphones is difficult. I've personally owned all of the above headphones except for the Oppo and Audioquest.

For me, the Sennhesier 600/650 was the gold standard until the Audeze LCD2 came along. The LCD2 is now my favorite headphone under $1000, but if they were taken away from me, I could live happily with the AFC. I much prefer the AFC to the AFO.

Mar 16, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #4,900 of 5,483
Now, AFC seems to be a very controversial headphone. Most frequent complaint is a lack of dynamics.
They need power. Underpowered, they sound weak. I commented earlier in the thread on how they sound with the amps I own. Great dynamics with high-power Neurochrome HP-1 and Lyr 3 amps, not convincing with the very good but much less powerful Apex Peak (which is my favorite amp with the right tube and Ether C Flow 1.1).

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #4,904 of 5,483
Finally heard the Aeon closed at my local shop yesterday and I have to say they are mighty impressive, however I feel that they need a decent amount of power to sound at their best. When you have enough juice pushing thru, the Aeon sounds fast, dynamic and clean. It’s treble is very well extended yet smooth while the mid bass and bass region is fast and hits cleanly. I feel that the vocals and mids are somewhat forward as well. In general, it is a very different sound from the Audezes’, ZMFs’ and Fostexs’ which I am used to and I think different enough to tempt me to buy a pair.

I wanted to try the Ether2 yesterday as well but I didn’t have the time, will be going back to the shop again to try the Aeon closed again before making my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back