AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #4,876 of 5,483
Same here - I preferred the AFC over EFC. Never auditioned the upgrade (EFC 1.1), and read somewhere that it is a significant improvement.

Good point! With the new tuning, they've smoothed out the bump-dip-bump in the low mids that I thought made the mids sound odd and artificial. That change is likely to help quite a bit. Zappaman should definitely try to audition them then.

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4,877 of 5,483
I never tried AFC. But I found EQ profiles for AFO/AFC available at Sonarworks.
Sonarworks are hit or miss. It didn't seem to work with the Utopia, but people reported it worked well with LCD-X and HD800, and it may work with AFC. And trial is free.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #4,878 of 5,483
I never tried AFC. But I found EQ profiles for AFO/AFC available at Sonarworks.
Sonarworks are hit or miss. It didn't seem to work with the Utopia, but people reported it worked well with LCD-X and HD800, and it may work with AFC. And trial is free.

We gave Sonarworks a few units to measure at CanJam NY. I haven't actually heard the profile yet, curious to see what people think who have... I'll give a test in the next week.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 9, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #4,879 of 5,483
Same here - I preferred the AFC over EFC. Never auditioned the upgrade (EFC 1.1), and read somewhere that it is a significant improvement.
Own AFC and ECF 1.1. I've never done a deep comparison because AFC is my work headphone, ECF (1.1) my home headphone and they are powered very differently (see my sig), but the few times I had both at home, I found them quite different in character and amp pairing. Summarizing, AFC needs more power, but still sounds more "polite" with individual instruments standing out less. ECF 1.1 is definitely more "muscular" and in general engages me more, especially in energetic instrumental solos, but AFC is better for long relaxed listening. I prefer ECF 1.1 for big orchestra and edgier jazz, AFC for minimalism, chamber.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #4,880 of 5,483
Anyone have the Aeon flow closed, and also shure se846?

Would they say it’s worth added the flow closed to my headphone collection (Hd800s, hd650, se846), the purpose is to enjoy music mostly at work.

Then I think, maybe it’s worth paying more for the ether c closed?

Then maybe I think a closed version of ether 2 may come along soon - eh @mrspeakers ?
I had the EFC (I think it's V1 or 1.1), but no matter what I do I just find them too thin and lacking body especially in the low end. AFC on the other hand has just the right amount of everything. However, it needs a very capable amp. In my experience, the AFC driven by well built amps (e.g. V280, THX789) makes it sound fuller. I find most DAPs struggle to drive AFC compared to desktop amps despite what the sensitivity/load impedance say in it's spec.

As an example many here recommend QP2R as a good DAP for AFC; However, I have a several tracks that can easily expose the QP2R struggling to drive AFC. DX200 and LPG on the other hand sounded more capable but still noticeably not as full sounding when driven by the desktop amps I mentioned above. I initially bought AFC to serve as a portable headphone. However, I really like how it sound when driven by my desktop rig especially the 789. So now I only use it at home.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #4,881 of 5,483
Having a read a bit on here I think I have the issue some others have. Right ear seems a touch lower volume. I've always noticed it but thought my ears just a bit dodgey, but mate tried them and instantly said same thing. Hopefully gets looked at.

Apart from that fairly happy with them. Light, comfy, sound good.

Anyone know if they address this issue? Do they just replace the unit?

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #4,882 of 5,483
I had the EFC (I think it's V1 or 1.1), but no matter what I do I just find them too thin and lacking body especially in the low end. AFC on the other hand has just the right amount of everything. However, it needs a very capable amp. In my experience, the AFC driven by well built amps (e.g. V280, THX789) makes it sound fuller. I find most DAPs struggle to drive AFC compared to desktop amps despite what the sensitivity/load impedance say in it's spec.

As an example many here recommend QP2R as a good DAP for AFC; However, I have a several tracks that can easily expose the QP2R struggling to drive AFC. DX200 and LPG on the other hand sounded more capable but still noticeably not as full sounding when driven by the desktop amps I mentioned above. I initially bought AFC to serve as a portable headphone. However, I really like how it sound when driven by my desktop rig especially the 789. So now I only use it at home.
Thanks everyone - your first hand advice is invaluable. I hope to power them with chord mojo at work, and chord tt2 at home.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #4,883 of 5,483
got my aeons, they were used and only came with the black foams so Im using those. At first I thought they were broken because I was getting no bass response. then I adjusted my hair, these are incredibly seal dependant. after it was wow- these go deep nice texture and quality. definitely not bass canons but when I held the seal and place with bass boost on, wow just perfect for my taste. great overall presentation. I notice im even losing seal just because of my hair so I have to call my hairdresser. these are incredibly detailed and resolving, revealing and analytical. neutral signature. Im going to also buy the tuning kit because I think id prefer the one notch.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4,884 of 5,483
got my aeons, they were used and only came with the black foams so Im using those. At first I thought they were broken because I was getting no bass response. then I adjusted my hair, these are incredibly seal dependant. after it was wow- these go deep nice texture and quality. definitely not bass canons but when I held the seal and place with bass boost on, wow just perfect for my taste. great overall presentation. I notice im even losing seal just because of my hair so I have to call my hairdresser. these are incredibly detailed and resolving, revealing and analytical. neutral signature. Im going to also buy the tuning kit because I think id prefer the one notch.
Any chance of a photo of your mop?

Mar 12, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #4,887 of 5,483
Also, am I missing something? On the webpage, it states:The kit includes Black Foam, Black Felt, 1 and 2-Notch White Felt filters.

img_0037_1_.jpg

According to the picture, I'm only seeing the Black Foam in the pic and not the Black Felt.

Where it gets more confusing: When I received my Flows with the tuning kit, I have the Black Felt and not the Black Foam?

Mar 12, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,888 of 5,483
So my right side headphone clamp (plastic piece that tightens to the wire) got stripped! Skrew doesn't want to fastened. Got a quick reply from mr speakers and they'll send me replacement parts asap. Shoutout to Sue at Mr speakers for helping me out with this as well as the replacement pads for the compressed right ear pad!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4,889 of 5,483
So my right side headphone clamp (plastic piece that tightens to the wire) got stripped! Skrew doesn't want to fastened. Got a quick reply from mr speakers and they'll send me replacement parts asap. Shoutout to Sue at Mr speakers for helping me out with this as well as the replacement pads for the compressed right ear pad!

Sue is all about getting it done! She is a firecracker for sure :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4,890 of 5,483
Also, am I missing something? On the webpage, it states:The kit includes Black Foam, Black Felt, 1 and 2-Notch White Felt filters.

img_0037_1_.jpg

According to the picture, I'm only seeing the Black Foam in the pic and not the Black Felt.

Where it gets more confusing: When I received my Flows with the tuning kit, I have the Black Felt and not the Black Foam?

I got mine new within the last month. They came with the 3 sets shown in the picture you posted with the black definitely being foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back