AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4,816 of 5,483
Comparing the lcd3f to the afc (assuming the lcd2f goes along in the same vein with a little less detail), the lcd3f has a warmer and fuller sound, with more bass but not necessarily more subbass, but I'd put the detail level around par with the afc. Though keep in mind I've only given the lcd3f maximum 1.5W, so there's a possibility that the audeze cans can get better with more power available.

The aeons are more comfortable, but the lcds are more cushy, like wearing a big soft heavy pillow. The audeze sound is more fun in my opinion, but could be more tiring to listen to, the afc sounds more "normal".

The above is all opinion though, and I've never heard the lcd2f.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #4,818 of 5,483
Anyone have experience with the lcd2 fazor vs the aeon flow closed or open? IM trying to decide between these two, the aeons seem more comfortable. Ive been reading lots of reviews and the aeons seemed to be half highly praised half hated for being boring. Im coming from modded m1060s so IM hoping I can get something that will be a nice upgrade.

Haven’t listened to the fazor version, but I have listened to the classic version. When it comes to low end, the classic dominates. The bass is just amazing. When it comes to detail, clarity and treble, the Aeons totally dominate. To my tastes, the Aeons were definitely my preference.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #4,819 of 5,483
I ended up buying the afc. I like boomy bass sometimes but I also wanted something that can play everything really balanced and detailed. also I wanted to go for the closed so I can not wake everyone up when I decide to use them. hopefully the bass boost will be enough for the songs that need it.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #4,820 of 5,483
I ended up buying the afc. I like boomy bass sometimes but I also wanted something that can play everything really balanced and detailed. also I wanted to go for the closed so I can not wake everyone up when I decide to use them. hopefully the bass boost will be enough for the songs that need it.

Good choice (IMHO). Just make sure your amp can comfortably deliver at least 1 W at 16 ohms or less. If so, you should enjoy rich bass that takes well to boosting.

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #4,821 of 5,483
Also you can use the tuning pads. These do make a difference, especially in the amount of perceived mid bass. I had the LCD2f and currently have the LCD2 closed as well as the Aeon. The Aeon is a more balanced headphone. I feel the LCD2 closed has more isolation than the Aeon.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #4,822 of 5,483
Good choice (IMHO). Just make sure your amp can comfortably deliver at least 1 W at 16 ohms or less. If so, you should enjoy rich bass that takes well to boosting.
You don't even need close to one watt, people power them from iPhones just fine. I have an iBasso DX150 running balanced to mine which is 425mW to at 32 ohms so well short of 1W at 16 and it gets lots enough to be painful.

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #4,824 of 5,483

Looks like I'm too late to weigh in on the LCD-2F vs AEON C debate, but I don't think you would have been disappointed with either.

The AFC does respond well to bass boost. It's never quite 'boomy,' but it does get north of neutral without losing control. If you're concerned about isolation, rest easy. The AFC has exceptionally low sound leakage. You won't be bothering anyone with these. Likewise, if comfort is a concern, there is nothing I've tried that more comfortable than the AFC. And that xDuoo should be just fine as an amp.

Welcome aboard!

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #4,825 of 5,483
You don't even need close to one watt, people power them from iPhones just fine. I have an iBasso DX150 running balanced to mine which is 425mW to at 32 ohms so well short of 1W at 16 and it gets lots enough to be painful.

Must say I disagree. If you want me to walk you through the math, I’d be happy to, but rest assured you’re not getting anything close to what the AFC can do with an IPhone. Your Ibasso is obviously capable of much better performance, but MrSpeakers is on record as saying you need a decent desktop amp to get all you can out of these phones. If you’re happy that’s great, but loudness is not a good indicator of whether you’re underpowering a pair of headphones.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #4,826 of 5,483
Must say I disagree. If you want me to walk you through the math, I’d be happy to, but rest assured you’re not getting anything close to what the AFC can do with an IPhone. Your Ibasso is obviously capable of much better performance, but MrSpeakers is on record as saying you need a decent desktop amp to get all you can out of these phones. If you’re happy that’s great, but loudness is not a good indicator of whether you’re underpowering a pair of headphones.
Actually sounds like you need me to walk you through the math, if you're not clipping and it's loud there's only one way to get there, you have enough power.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #4,828 of 5,483
noticed this in a review on headphone.com

"There is no lack of bass presence with the AFC, but I would take them and EQ up the bass a tad if I wanted more, rather than going with the AFO and trying to EQ the bass levels down.."

do u guys think it holds true..??

i do agree that the closed version sounds like it has no bass emphasis and doesn't sound as emotional or warm as a 650

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,829 of 5,483
noticed this in a review on headphone.com

"There is no lack of bass presence with the AFC, but I would take them and EQ up the bass a tad if I wanted more, rather than going with the AFO and trying to EQ the bass levels down.."

do u guys think it holds true..??

i do agree that the closed version sounds like it has no bass emphasis and doesn't sound as emotional or warm as a 650

Good question. I have Eq’d my AFCs and added a little low end emphasis in the past. If I didn’t have other, warmer headphones I probably still would. Now I pick the headphone I most want to listen to rather than Eq’ng the sound profile of the AFCs, but either way works.

Depending on what I’m listening to, different sound profiles sound better or worse and it’s just easier for me to pick the headphone that sounds the way I want than adjust the sound through an equalizer and not quite get there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back