AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4,803 of 5,483
In other news, just got to try the AFC, Focal Elegia, and a few cheaper closed headphones. All with an ifi micro black label and straight from my phone. All had very noticeable improvements with the black label, but I expected less from the AFC and phone alone! Was super impressed overall with the comfort and build.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #4,804 of 5,483
Got my replacement pads for the defective right ear pad, granted I'd have liked it to be a "no expenses paid" thing, rather than a $20 customs fee...but that is what international customers have to deal with. Going to try them out tonight!

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #4,805 of 5,483
Really debating jumping on the Aeon closed. Been using he400i's for a long time now out of a schiit stack. Now I need a closed headphone and these are a top contender. Do you think its worth it with the schiit stack or that I should start saving for something like a chord mojo as well if I'm gonna bite? In NYC and would love to know a few places to audition them if anyone has ideas.
It's funny you should say that..because I came from the hifiman 400i and I felt the same way! Went from open (beyerdynamics dt990 600ohm) to hifiman 400i, which I loved for the added subbas. Never owned a pair of closed cans and I was really sceptical...but the aeon closed are a treat! And if you can, you can tweak the bass to your liking. I bought them after I paired them to my RME ADI-2 DAC -> Oppo Ha1 -> Aeon closed. Bit I have run my hifiman i400 through them and there is no contest. Sure, not as airy, but I'm flabbergasted how open the aeons sound so open as a closed can, with the added detail! Just my 2 cents.

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #4,806 of 5,483
Oh boy, super close to winning an eBay auction for a pair of these. I've been looking for something more neutral with great tonality, and these seem to be the ticket. Will also be my first pair of closed headphones, and these seem to have excellent isolation even for a closed-back. They even come with a really nice aftermarket cable, my first piece of real audio snake oil! Would a jds element be enough juice? I've read these are pretty easy to get running, but they can still be a little power hungry

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #4,807 of 5,483
Would a jds element be enough juice? I've read these are pretty easy to get running, but they can still be a little power hungry
It's not clear from the JDS Element specs that they can get down to the Æon Closed's low 13 Ohm impedance with enough power. You could instead try a Schiit stack of a Modi 3 DAC and a Magni amp for less cost and more power. Or a Schiit Jotunheim with a DAC module, more expensive but even more powerful. The sky is the limit, though, my current Æon amp and DAC stack cost > $2k and the headphones do it justice.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #4,808 of 5,483
Hmm, well I guess I can worry more about that once/if I actually win. I knew I would probably have to upgrade to something beefier eventually, just didn't think it would be so soon after I got my first real desktop amp/dac. Schitt looks like a good option though, they seem to really pack some power per $!

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #4,809 of 5,483
Hmm, well I guess I can worry more about that once/if I actually win. I knew I would probably have to upgrade to something beefier eventually, just didn't think it would be so soon after I got my first real desktop amp/dac. Schitt looks like a good option though, they seem to really pack some power per $!
If you have the JDS Element already, just start with it and decide after you listen for a while. In audio, it's best to change one thing at a time to learn what works for you.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #4,810 of 5,483
After a long decision making I decided on AFC. Then I saw ETHER CX and my mind is confused again :frowning2:

Which one sounds better, AFC or ETHER CX ? I don't really care about the $100 difference, I just want to obtain the best sounding headphone.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #4,812 of 5,483
Hi folks! We have a limited number of NEW B-stock AEON headphones, open and closed, at 15% off. Most of the cosmetic flaws are subtle enough you probably would have a hard time finding them. Also, there's a new upgrade price for those interested in VIVO cables.

Quantities are very limited, first come first serve!

AEON Closed is at https://www.mrspeakers.com/headphones-22/aeono-1-380.html

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 27, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #4,813 of 5,483
Thank you Mr. Speakers. I very much enjoy the Aeon Opens. Thanks to your offer, I have found I have reflexively just added the Closed to my ridiculously over-sized headphone collection. Kudos to you on your award winning headphones.

Does anyone know if there is a 12 step program for self-professed audiophiles?

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #4,814 of 5,483
Just got the Aeon closed, and they sound wonderful out of the mojo, everything I wanted them to be. Kind of like a larger, slightly clearer K10 with better bass extension. The one problem is even with the tuning filters removed the drivers still just barely touch my ears unless I sit them just right, and I'm worried that once the pads break in they'll just touch my ears all the time.

Is there any available replacement pad from any source that would add 5-10mm to the rear of the pads? I saw there are angled pads for the ether but not for the Aeon. I'd love to be able to squish these against my head since they're so soft but right now I can't.

It's actually only the left that touches, kind of like the pad is just more squishy in the back on the left, barely enough to cause the problem, so if there's any technique that can permanently fluff them up let me know, but it'd also be nice to be able to use tuning filters so I'd still be interested in angled pads.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm going to put the one-notch white filters back in and see if I can get used to it touching. I might just be too paranoid, since the felt is soft anyway

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #4,815 of 5,483
Anyone have experience with the lcd2 fazor vs the aeon flow closed or open? IM trying to decide between these two, the aeons seem more comfortable. Ive been reading lots of reviews and the aeons seemed to be half highly praised half hated for being boring. Im coming from modded m1060s so IM hoping I can get something that will be a nice upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back