AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #4,786 of 5,483
ÆON Flow Closed is one of the most popular headphones around $1k range. There are a lot of reviews of AFC and these opinions differ a lot. I've never seen a controversial headphone like this !

Some people say it plays every genre very well, is one of the best headphones and a steal for this price; some peple say it is boring, dull and lacks bass and dynamics. People either love or hate this headphone.

For this discussion, please assume that a high-end gear like iBasso DX200 is being used, because it is meaningless to buy this headphone if you can't feed it with a good source.

This is my approach after reading thousands of reviews: AFC is a neutral headphone so "bassheads" listening to EDM, rap, pop etc. will hate this headphone and complain it has no bass - actually AFC's bass is just balanced but they wish overwhelming bass. On the other hand, people listen to mids-highs centred genres such as classical, opera, jazz, soundtracks, some metal, some rock will fall in love with this headphone. Addiotionally, warm, relaxed highs sound preferers won't be a fan of AFC while clean, direct sound preferers will do.

Is my approach correct ? In your opinion, who will like AFC but who will not? Let's discuss !

IMHO:
It’s not about what genre you listen to, but what you listen for.

People who want resolution and detail should love this headphone. Nothing else I have delivers the level of detail and resolution the AFC does. On the downside, that detail can be fairly merciless to bad recordings.

Bassheads probably should look elsewhere- the bass goes very deep but there is no mid or upper bass bump so if you’re used to that, the AFC is going to sound pretty sterile until you adjust.

People who really like a lot of dynamics may prefer dynamic driver headphones. However, the AFC can be very energetic if you have an amp that makes LOTS of power at low impedance. There are some very expensive amps that cannot do so and they don’t sound as good as a Schiit Magni. I think personally this is a headphone that benifits from a bit of tube warmth but the power demand means that you should have a high powered solid state or hybrid for solid dynamics.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #4,787 of 5,483
IMHO:
It’s not about what genre you listen to, but what you listen for.

People who want resolution and detail should love this headphone. Nothing else I have delivers the level of detail and resolution the AFC does. On the downside, that detail can be fairly merciless to bad recordings.

Bassheads probably should look elsewhere- the bass goes very deep but there is no mid or upper bass bump so if you’re used to that, the AFC is going to sound pretty sterile until you adjust.

People who really like a lot of dynamics may prefer dynamic driver headphones. However, the AFC can be very energetic if you have an amp that makes LOTS of power at low impedance. There are some very expensive amps that cannot do so and they don’t sound as good as a Schiit Magni. I think personally this is a headphone that benifits from a bit of tube warmth but the power demand means that you should have a high powered solid state or hybrid for solid dynamics.

Thank you for your reply

Can a high end DAP like iBasso DX200($900) run AFC at its full potential ?

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #4,788 of 5,483
I have an Astell & Kern se100. I run my AFC balanced into it and it sounds great. Loud at 2/3 volume. SE it runs above 3/4 volume to get loud. Dynamics are very good. So enough voltage and current supplied. A quality dap should work well.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #4,790 of 5,483
Thank you for your reply

IMO...A mobile amp can play "loud" enough but the dynamics and bass will not be what a quality table-top Amp can supply... Mr. Speakers will tell you that as well...

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #4,791 of 5,483
FWIW, I have three three perfect, yet different configurations that I like a lot!

Schiit Jotunheim, tons of power, can’t wait to buy bal cables and try balanced, but great match

Ifi micro black label idsd, I love this straight up, on the mid gain setting ( no turbo boost needed), with or without the bass boost, I absolutely love the bass boost on this micro, it’s the best I’ve ever heard just as a bass boost. When I use the Jotunheim, I have the Loki that I can use or even combinations of these things (I can use the onboard DAC from my Jot, but I prefer the ifi micro DAC into loki, into Jot). But the micro straight up is a truly awesome match, and plenty of power!

Then I also use my little Oppo ha-2se... sometimes alone, but more often I go out of Oppo, into, *oh the shame* my little bear b4! Ok, it’s NOT The smooth, yet beautifully detailed and warm and amply powered micro, but honestly, that little b4 is a sweet soft, and in my opinion nicely matched little tiny cheap tube solution. For what it’s worth that little b4 sounds great on the back of the ifi micro if I want to use it that way also. Anyway, it has plenty of power also in my opinion and also responds to the bass boost of both units, the Oppo and the micro.

For a single solution, especially for desktop or portable, for me that micro just crushes and is a beautiful perfect match with the AFC headphones. Yes, still loving the heck out of these Dan and company! I’ve been watching all the threads and I guess I just want to add here that, I use these at bedtime so as not to disturb my wife when I’m winding down with some great music and they isolate well enough to not bother her at all, yet to me they sound so amazingly open and clean and clear and resolving in spite of being closed!… These are in my top group of three or four that I love the best that I’ve got the good fortune to have.

Two last comments FWIW. One is that while it’s amazing that they sound so nicely matched with a little, little bear b4 amp… They absolutely do not pair at all with the class A darkvoice amp. The high impedance requirement of that amp makes for and an impossible match so I don’t even bother. Evidently I could do some modification to the darkvoice to get it to play nice with low impedance cans but why bother (I love my DV with the hd600s and the 1990’s!), I have other solutions… the second thing really is that, while I have a few other favorites, in no particular order, more or less just a “horses for courses” thing, my favorites are AFC , mahogany TH x00, my beyerdynamic DT 1990s, and taking up the rear of my favorite group is my venerable HD 600s… Out of this group, I seem to gravitate to the AFC most for its honest and detailed yet smooooth presentation! It does not have the slam of the mahogany Fostex cans or the dt1990 cans but I don’t always want slam (to be clear, I feel AFC’s have incredible sub bass ability, just not the slam of those others, and I do personally think that to open up the bottom of these, a little boost is almost a necessity) !

AFC’s alway brings the great vibes!

Barrett

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #4,792 of 5,483
Thank you for your reply

Having never heard or used an Ibasso, I don’t really know. The AFC really does benefit from top quality equipment, but how high it will scale I couldn’t say. The best amp I have is my Lyr3 and the AFC sounds significantly better on it than my FIIO Q5 or my Magni 3. That said, the IBasso is a very nice device and unless you’re A-B comparing, you probably won’t be able to reliably tell.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,793 of 5,483
I agree that the AFC scales well with equipment and despite its efficiency (I'm not an engineer or anything so I'm not exactly sure how efficient it is, but it's rated at 14 ohms, so...) it seems to respond well to power, and sounds great coming out of my Asgard 2 or my micro idsd black label

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4,798 of 5,483
I won’t list my credentials, because who really cares, but I know from personal experience the AFC scale well with better amps. I feel it is because the AFC is capable of revealing the signature of an amp. And all amps have one. Many headphones simply aren’t capable of resolving it.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #4,799 of 5,483
@bose301s what is the most expensive amp you have ever paired your headphones with and on what basis are you coming to that conclusion?
Just curious.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #4,800 of 5,483
Well I am an engineer and this whole scaling and power debate is BS.

I’m an engineer too. Been one for about 30 years now. There’s a reasonable argument to be made that we audiophiles are fooling ourselves when comparing sound quality, but the AFC does need a lot of amps (relatively speaking). A combination of low impedance and low efficiency pushes a lot of amplifiers into a bad place with the AFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back