AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #4,771 of 5,483
Anyone find an IEM with a sim sound signature to these? Love these things but I'm in MI and its 2 degrees out and these don't fit under a hat.

Try Earsonics S-EM6 V2 (not cheap though)

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #4,772 of 5,483
Been listening my new Focal Elex for the last couple weeks. For the last few days I’ve switched to my AFC and been reminded just how good it is at subbass, detail and clarity. Don’t get me wrong- the Elex is a GREAT headphone. It’s just that the AFC totally dominates in those three areas. Where the Elex wins is in dynamics, upper bass, and slightly better sound stage. Overall though,I had to pick just one it would be the AFC.

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #4,773 of 5,483
Hi. Does anyone use any Violectric amps (V100,V200,V181, V220, V281) with the AFC?
I see that the output impedance is not 0 and recommendations start from 16 ohm.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #4,775 of 5,483
Hi. Does anyone use any Violectric amps (V100,V200,V181, V220, V281) with the AFC?
I see that the output impedance is not 0 and recommendations start from 16 ohm.
I have the V280. Should be no problem with AFC. Output imoedance may not be exactly 0 but low enough to be worried about it regardless of tge headphone you use.
Beside, AFC is purely resistive and has flat impedance curve. Output impedance won't matter.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #4,776 of 5,483
A question: How do you rate AFC's female vocals performance? Do they sound forwarded or recessed? In songs with female vocals and other elements like instruments, vocals are on foreground or background ?

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,777 of 5,483
A question: How do you rate AFC's female vocals performance? Do they sound forwarded or recessed? In songs with female vocals and other elements like instruments, vocals are on foreground or background ?

IMHO AFCs are pretty neutral with slightly recessed mids and very detailed. A lot of phones have a mid to upper bass bump so AFCs can sound a little dry by comparison. On the other hand, the AFCs have a very smooth treble which makes for sweet sounding, clear high notes whether from an instrument or woman. I guess I’d say if you’re listening to someone like Janice Ian you might prefer phones that add a little huskiness (like the AFOs). If you like opera, you’ll likely appreciate the AFCs.

Feb 17, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #4,778 of 5,483
IMHO AFCs are pretty neutral with slightly recessed mids and very detailed. A lot of phones have a mid to upper bass bump so AFCs can sound a little dry by comparison. On the other hand, the AFCs have a very smooth treble which makes for sweet sounding, clear high notes whether from an instrument or woman. I guess I’d say if you’re listening to someone like Janice Ian you might prefer phones that add a little huskiness (like the AFOs). If you like opera, you’ll likely appreciate the AFCs.

I can't try it before buying so I must rely on reviews.

AFC is a neutral headphone and this is what I desire. I am not a basshead, I want neutral, clean music exactly as the composer intented. I listen to classical, opera, soundtracks and symphonic metal, which are all midrange and treble centred music. I want direct and aggressive sound, not warm laid back sound with rolled of highs. I will also use AFC with a high end DAP, probably iBasso DX208.

All indicators show I am going to like this headphone a lot :) Do you think so ?

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4,779 of 5,483
I have to say, and I'm no audiophile like most of you..but I'm really glad with my custom. Canare L-4E6S star quad microphone cables..used paracord at the split. And yes, here is microphonics, but I've learner to live with it and make sure that the cable doesn't "rub" too much when listening...probably going to do a braided and paracorded all the way to the xlr next time I have the money and time..but the sound quality to my ears is nice!

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #4,780 of 5,483
Really debating jumping on the Aeon closed. Been using he400i's for a long time now out of a schiit stack. Now I need a closed headphone and these are a top contender. Do you think its worth it with the schiit stack or that I should start saving for something like a chord mojo as well if I'm gonna bite? In NYC and would love to know a few places to audition them if anyone has ideas.

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #4,781 of 5,483
Really debating jumping on the Aeon closed. Been using he400i's for a long time now out of a schiit stack. Now I need a closed headphone and these are a top contender. Do you think its worth it with the schiit stack or that I should start saving for something like a chord mojo as well if I'm gonna bite? In NYC and would love to know a few places to audition them if anyone has ideas.

The AFC scales well. I went from a schiit Modi 2U + Magni 3 to a Modi 2U + Lyr3 and felt it was a significant improvement with the AFC. I didn’t hear much difference with the 400i.

Audio46 in NYC will let you demo the AFC, though the store can be a little noisy. That’s where I bought my AFC after auditioning both the 400i and AFC (I already owned the 400i but I wanted a reference to compare to the AFC).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,782 of 5,483
The AFC scales well. I went from a schiit Modi 2U + Magni 3 to a Modi 2U + Lyr3 and felt it was a significant improvement with the AFC. I didn’t hear much difference with the 400i.

Audio46 in NYC will let you demo the AFC, though the store can be a little noisy. That’s where I bought my AFC after auditioning both the 400i and AFC (I already owned the 400i but I wanted a reference to compare to the AFC).

Thanks for the tip! Hoping to head there this Friday to give them a try. Do you recall if you needed to bring your own music?

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #4,783 of 5,483
ÆON Flow Closed is one of the most popular headphones around $1k range. There are a lot of reviews of AFC and these opinions differ a lot. I've never seen a controversial headphone like this !

Some people say it plays every genre very well, is one of the best headphones and a steal for this price; some peple say it is boring, dull and lacks bass and dynamics. People either love or hate this headphone.

For this discussion, please assume that a high-end gear like iBasso DX200 is being used, because it is meaningless to buy this headphone if you can't feed it with a good source.

This is my approach after reading thousands of reviews: AFC is a neutral headphone so "bassheads" listening to EDM, rap, pop etc. will hate this headphone and complain it has no bass - actually AFC's bass is just balanced but they wish overwhelming bass. On the other hand, people listen to mids-highs centred genres such as classical, opera, jazz, soundtracks, some metal, some rock will fall in love with this headphone. Addiotionally, warm, relaxed highs sound preferers won't be a fan of AFC while clean, direct sound preferers will do.

Is my approach correct ? In your opinion, who will like AFC but who will not? Let's discuss !

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #4,784 of 5,483
people listen to mids-highs centred genres such as classical, opera, jazz, soundtracks, some metal, some rock will fall in love with this headphone.
I really like my AFCs for jazz and classical, with a Neurochrome HP-1 solid state amp. Curiously, I like the AFCs less with my tube hybrid amps (Schiit Lyr and Apex Peak), they sound a bit distant and flat, unlike the Ether C Flow 1.1 that I normally use with those amps.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #4,785 of 5,483
Thanks for the tip! Hoping to head there this Friday to give them a try. Do you recall if you needed to bring your own music?

You pretty much are standing at a counter listening to a pair of phones. I brought my IPhone and they loaned me a FIIO portable amp. They are very accommodating, but it’s not like waking into a high end music store. The headphones range from cheap to extremely high end and the place is quintessential New York Electronics store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back