AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #4,756 of 5,483
Not sure who you talked to but Dan, the owner, has said the DUM cable has been replaced by the VIVO, if they have no stock of DUM that's it, they will no longer be produced.
That's odd... I was told that the VIVO weren't replacement cables, but an upgrade to the standard DUM.
And no, there isn't a clearance for either. I explicitly asked for one: http://prntscr.com/mgo064
http://prntscr.com/mgnwna

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #4,759 of 5,483
Hi all

Got these headphones last week and am very impressed by their realism. Coming from open back headphones though, I’m finding the microphonics very very loud and noticeable. Has anyone managed to reduce this with a cable upgrade?

If so, which cable?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #4,760 of 5,483
Hi all

Got these headphones last week and am very impressed by their realism. Coming from open back headphones though, I’m finding the microphonics very very loud and noticeable. Has anyone managed to reduce this with a cable upgrade?

If so, which cable?

Thanks

Perhaps look at one of the offerings from Forza AudioWorks which aren't sleeved. Great cables and service in my experience. They're based in Poland but delivery was very quick.

Also, l can vouch for OIDIO sound here in the UK, but all of their cables are sleeved.

Both of these guys are very responsive via email or Facebook so message them first if you have specific queries.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #4,762 of 5,483
Not sure who you talked to but Dan, the owner, has said the DUM cable has been replaced by the VIVO, if they have no stock of DUM that's it, they will no longer be produced.

Actually it turns out we had some unfinished cables just needing plugs, so since there's been some interest in a low cost 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4 DUM cable we'll make these available until we run out of cable stock. Waste not want not, and a great low cost way to get special terminations.

We should have inventory next week, so we'll allow backorders starting tomorrow for these terminations.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 5, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #4,764 of 5,483
I haven't had a headphone that can "slam" and "rumble" as well as these cans. Using the bass boost on the Cayin C5 and ifi black label makes these pairings so good. The responsiveness to the bass boost is impeccable.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #4,765 of 5,483
Yeah, I imagine so, test it for yourself. Rub the cable on yourself! :D

That’s exactly what’s happening, the slightest brush across my T shirt is very loudly amplified in the chamber. I am surprised there’s not many people mentioning it in this thread. Maybe I’ve just been spoilt by completely silent headphones previously but it’s very noticeable. It’s their only weakness to my ears.

I haven't had a headphone that can "slam" and "rumble" as well as these cans. Using the bass boost on the Cayin C5 and ifi black label makes these pairings so good. The responsiveness to the bass boost is impeccable.

The thing I notice about these headphones is that they seem to sound great when paired with lots of combos. They are very versatile.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #4,766 of 5,483
That’s exactly what’s happening, the slightest brush across my T shirt is very loudly amplified in the chamber. I am surprised there’s not many people mentioning it in this thread. Maybe I’ve just been spoilt by completely silent headphones previously but it’s very noticeable. It’s their only weakness to my ears.

Yeah, try a cable from Forza AudioWorks that doesn't have a sleeve. There may be cheaper alternatives available elsewhere but I can personally vouch for Forza's service and build quality, as I am sure many others here can.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #4,767 of 5,483
Actually it turns out we had some unfinished cables just needing plugs, so since there's been some interest in a low cost 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4 DUM cable we'll make these available until we run out of cable stock. Waste not want not, and a great low cost way to get special terminations.

We should have inventory next week, so we'll allow backorders starting tomorrow for these terminations.
Already placed my order for one terminated with 2.5mm balanced.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #4,768 of 5,483

I agree that the Cayin 5 bass boost works great with the AFC, I'm really enjoying them.

Do you think it's worth it to get the iFi Black Label? What's the sound difference esp. with the bass boost on? Is it significantly better than the Cayin? I was going to pull the trigger and pick up the Black Label, but since I've been enjoying the Cayin so much, I wasn't sure if I needed to.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #4,769 of 5,483
I agree that the Cayin 5 bass boost works great with the AFC, I'm really enjoying them.

Do you think it's worth it to get the iFi Black Label? What's the sound difference esp. with the bass boost on? Is it significantly better than the Cayin? I was going to pull the trigger and pick up the Black Label, but since I've been enjoying the Cayin so much, I wasn't sure if I needed to.
Oof, is it worth it... I spent $100 for the C5 and $380 for the black label. I'd choose the black label no matter what, except for (un)portability. The C5 bass boost gets very close to the xbass but there is a clear difference IMO.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #4,770 of 5,483
Anyone find an IEM with a sim sound signature to these? Love these things but I'm in MI and its 2 degrees out and these don't fit under a hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back