AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,696 of 5,483
I bought during the pre-order. I didn't receive any. I requested them after and got the black foam. The filters with the notches came out sometime later.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,697 of 5,483
Just rechecked by box... I was in on an early(ish) production and appears they only supplied the black inserts originally.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #4,700 of 5,483
How about a Head-Fi discount? I bought mine used and the previous owner sadly didn't include any of the pads.

We try to keep the prices real as it is, there's no room to discount unless we just want to ship money. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,702 of 5,483
By the way, I'm not sure I've mentioned this, but the white felt does have a "burn in." We believe this is essentially micro-fragments of material clearing out of the fibers in the felt. If you hold the pad to your mouth snugly and blow hard through it even once, the material will still soften the highs, but the "muffling" will be greatly reduced. If you don't do this, a day or two of normal use accomplishes the same thing.

I love the AEC with the 2 notch white for electronica, I use 1 notch for a lot of rock, and sometimes no filter or foam for audiophile recordings, jazz, etc.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #4,703 of 5,483
Hi Guys,

Just 2 questions:

- Can I drive those with Audioquest Dragonfly Red?

- I found this sound demo
Do you think it's representative of the actual sound? It seems balanced but a bit bass light. Can some owner comment?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,705 of 5,483
Stereophile tested the Dragonfly Red and essentially reported it doesn’t like low impedance loads (like the Aeon). I also suspect that it would not be able to deliver the necessary current to play very loud and deliver solid bass.

That is correct. ASR did a review of the Dragon Fly Red recently.

Mine are currently in for repairs, but I loved the Aeon Closeds for their neutral sound and build quality

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,706 of 5,483
I must say, that the tuning kit drastically changed these headphones. The regular tuning pads didn’t work for me because they were touching my ears so I had to use the AFC “raw” and I didn’t like the treble peak and the bass with this setup.

But with these new tuning pads, it fixed all the issues I had the AFC.

The only thing that is stopping me for using these headphones at work is the funky look of the AFC. But perhaps I should just get over it :p

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #4,708 of 5,483
Had the Ether Flow C which I didn't like at all; fantastic resolution but not holographic enough. New owner of the Aeon Flow C and I do like them a lot....without any of the tuning pads. I like how they 'sculpture' the music into a coherent presentation with a great overall balance. Bass is enough for me....I don't need bass when it is not part of the music as in 'not intended by the artist'. The Aeon sound best for me out of the WooWA22 and almost as good out of my Taurus...but I just prefer tubes.
So yes, certainly the bargain everybody is talking about.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #4,709 of 5,483
Love my afc..but are there any third party pads that fit? Latley, I have to massage the ear pads regularly to make them fit "plumb" if anyone knows of better ear pads, give me a hollar! Best headphones I've had so far, and I've only done open back headphones before this:wink:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back