AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 11, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #4,232 of 5,483
The fiio Q1 mark 2 which is the same power as q5 I believe or very close power my 650’s on high gain at 50% for as loud as I ever want to listen.
So I’m guessing it can drive the AFC/O enough for me when I’m not at my desktop dac/amp

May 11, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #4,233 of 5,483
I received the insert kit a few days ago. I've had the black foam in mine almost since I got them. Oddly, going through all of the options over the past few days has given me more appreciation for how much I like them without any inserts in at all, though I'll have to see what I think after some more time. Also, the foam did slightly touch my ears (which didn't change the fact that this is still the most comfortable headphone I own), but the felt options do not.

May 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #4,234 of 5,483
The foams touching my ears is the biggest reason I don't use the foams at all.

Good to hear the felt options do not touch your ears. I suppose I will have to try these also.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,235 of 5,483
Anyone know about use/adjustment of JRiver Graphic/Parametric Equalizers? Find Aeon's can benefit from a bit of a bump-up in bass on some older 44.1 to 96 Jazz recordings. Understand what wasn't there on original recording can't be created, though some tracks might benefit? Maybe easy-to-use plug-in for JRiver you recommend? I'm one of many who came of age with hardware equalizers and gear like DBX range expanders where users operated levers, buttons, switches and watched lights while listening for changes. Have found software applied changes so much easier to screw-up sound. My age is showing (-:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 13, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,236 of 5,483
You oughta try Roon. They have a great PE that's easy to understand and use. Roon simply blows away all other Music players....it's not even remotely close!

May 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,237 of 5,483
You oughta try Roon. They have a great PE that's easy to understand and use. Roon simply blows away all other Music players....it's not even remotely close!

Good:
Receives many kudos from audio press.
Reportedly excellent UI and sound.
Free 14-day trial.

Not so good:
$499 a chunk of change.
Does anyone know if Roon will be around in four (or more) years?
$119 yearly use runs out quick and then it's $119 again.

Likely why Roon is not vital for my needs:
Try to stay off internet whenever listening to music.
Own my music library and streaming is not vital to my needs.
Plenty of places to sample/discover new music without paying premium to do so.
Really like my JRiver library view that I have configured just so.
Do not want, or want to choose extra metadata displayed about artists I'm listening to.
Have my music library liner notes, jpegs, etc. stored in files on disc already and
have no desire to see it while listening to my library.

If Roon releases stripped down version for half price might try it out for one year (-:

May 13, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,239 of 5,483
Good:
Receives many kudos from audio press.
Reportedly excellent UI and sound.
Free 14-day trial.

Not so good:
$499 a chunk of change.
Does anyone know if Roon will be around in four (or more) years?
$119 yearly use runs out quick and then it's $119 again.

Likely why Roon is not vital for my needs:
Try to stay off internet whenever listening to music.
Own my music library and streaming is not vital to my needs.
Plenty of places to sample/discover new music without paying premium to do so.
Really like my JRiver library view that I have configured just so.
Do not want, or want to choose extra metadata displayed about artists I'm listening to.
Have my music library liner notes, jpegs, etc. stored in files on disc already and
have no desire to see it while listening to my library.

If Roon releases stripped down version for half price might try it out for one year (-:

From what I have seen and enjoyed about their player/services I doubt they are going anywhere soon....how many $500 components can you buy that will be always kept up-to-date for that same $500? With all they provide with Artists info, like reading albums jackets in the ol' days of vinyl, their online community, methods to employ Room Correction on-the-fly and always finding ways to make improvements at no increase in cost.... Besides attending live concerts, streaming is my only method (besides portable) for in-home music appreciation. FWIW, I have used Pure Music, Audirvana, and Amarra and they could not hold Roon's jock...

May 14, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #4,240 of 5,483
Amara 4 is a great audio app for Mac owners and it has a solid PEQ and a Tidal interface. The Mac version is quite solid and while it’s not quite as elegant a UI as Roon its way more affordable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #4,241 of 5,483
From what I have seen and enjoyed about their player/services I doubt they are going anywhere soon....how many $500 components can you buy that will be always kept up-to-date for that same $500? With all they provide with Artists info, like reading albums jackets in the ol' days of vinyl, their online community, methods to employ Room Correction on-the-fly and always finding ways to make improvements at no increase in cost.... Besides attending live concerts, streaming is my only method (besides portable) for in-home music appreciation. FWIW, I have used Pure Music, Audirvana, and Amarra and they could not hold Roon's jock...

You're staunch proponent of Roon. At present have what likely works best for me. Lucky we have so many choices for how to play our music.

May 21, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #4,243 of 5,483
I hear more bass on the black felt than on the black foam, and less bass on the felt than on either of the white filters.
-
Let me ask you a question, as for me the Aeon C's are simply lacking (enough) bass response... However, because their mids and treble are so well done, i forgive their bass for being MIA.
So, to the question.....Do u think its possible that depending on the pads..... that getting "perceived" increased bass response, is actually the effect of the pads reducing the other frequencies MORE then they do the bass?
As if that is happening, then the perception is really based on the fact that because the top end and mids are being more (pad-veiled) then the bass, then what is left standing, would be of course the perception of more bass.
So the reality would be, that there is not more bass, but that there is less of the other frequencies which then gives the impression that there is more bass, when in fact,.....not really.
What say'eth you?
And maybe my Q has been discussed here before, but, i didnt see the final answer on this one, so, im asking.....Acesn8s, or anyone who cares to post their view.
I'd be happy to read it.

May 21, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4,244 of 5,483
-
Let me ask you a question, as for me the Aeon C's are simply lacking (enough) bass response... However, because their mids and treble are so well done, i forgive their bass for being MIA.
So, to the question.....Do u think its possible that depending on the pads..... that getting "perceived" increased bass response, is actually the effect of the pads reducing the other frequencies MORE then they do the bass?
As if that is happening, then the perception is really based on the fact that because the top end and mids are being more (pad-veiled) then the bass, then what is left standing, would be of course the perception of more bass.
So the reality would be, that there is not more bass, but that there is less of the other frequencies which then gives the impression that there is more bass, when in fact,.....not really.
What say'eth you?
And maybe my Q has been discussed here before, but, i didnt see the final answer on this one, so, im asking.....Acesn8s, or anyone who cares to post their view.
I'd be happy to read it.

I think for a lot of headphones treble and mids are more efficient than bass production. So if the inserts blunt higher frequencies allow turning the volume up there could be more bass magnitude.

I’m pretty sure all inserts can do is dampen sound not boost it.

I haven’t had a lot of time to play with the new set of inserts, but I like the black felt for black metal :)

It tones down the high end and even created the perception of better instrument separation on some tracks.

For classical the one notch white felt was nice and added some warmth. However I get the feeling I’m losing some detail with any of the inserts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back