AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 8, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #4,216 of 5,483
Yes and no. Got the kit last Friday and tried the 2 notch white first...listened for a full day and concluded that it overdampened the AFC and constricted the mid-range, to my ears. But I next installed the new black felts and fell in love: tighter bass, mid-range forward, smooth treble. 'Gonna stick with felt for a while, then.
Is there less bass on the new black felt than on the original black pad? That's what I'm after.

May 8, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #4,217 of 5,483
The 1 notch white filter seems to remove some grain that I heard with the black felt and without any filter. Obviously these are very small differences but that's what I hear. Putting in all the filters at the same time is interesting too.

May 9, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #4,218 of 5,483
May 9, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #4,219 of 5,483
Did anyone have their ears touching the original filter? If so, do you have the same problem with the new filters?

May 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4,224 of 5,483
Thanks for the quick reply, while I take you word for it, i'd like to see what a years worth of on and off looks like!
I bought mine in July so they aren't one year old yet but I've been using them almost every day. The pads are holding up quite well.
XUEdNAS.jpg

nLA2uwr.jpg

May 11, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #4,227 of 5,483
How power hungry are these?
Anyone use a portable rig with these?
The AFC works well with the Cayin c5 (amp, not the dac/amp) and ifi micro black label.

May 11, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #4,228 of 5,483
The AFC works well with the Cayin c5 (amp, not the dac/amp) and ifi micro black label.
+1 for the micro BL, also the nano BL and Fiio Q5 drive it adequately as well.
The Oppo ha2 se gets to an adequate volume at 100% high gain. The DFR Red distorts before reaching an adequate level.
YMMV according to how loudly you listen of course

May 11, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,230 of 5,483
How power hungry are these?
Compareable to a 300 ohm sennheiser 600/650?
Anyone use a portable rig with these?
I find the Aeon to be slightly harder to drive than the HD600 with most solid state amps.
The iDSD micro BL and Q5 (stock AM3A amp module) are excellent with the AFC. I have only listened to the Q5/Aeon pairing through its 3.5mm single-ended output.
The Oppo HA-2SE and xDuoo XD-05 can also easily power them but don't pair as well (IMO).

I have also tried the Aeon with the FiiO X7 MK2 and Onkyo DP-X1A and both have adequate power to drive them.
Dan (MrSpeakers) also highly recommends the Questyle QP2R so I'm going to assume that can drive them as well. Bit expensive though...

The Chord Mojo can also drive them adequately but the bass response seemed a bit uncontrolled/loose when compared to the other DAC/amps I listed above.

The Oppo ha2 se gets to an adequate volume at 100% high gain.

For me, a good, medium-loud listening volume on the HA-2SE is about 25% high gain. I tried 100% high gain and my ears were hurting on a slow, quiet part of a song. Don't know how you do it lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back