AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,686 of 5,483
I'm using the Woo Audio WA8 and I am impressed with the pairing. Warm and tube sound in 3 tube mode.

Great looking amp. Price is a little steep... :frowning2: and not many (as in none) being sold used. At least recently. Are they ever discounted by Woo or any reseller?!
Also, are you using its built-in DAC as well, or use it as amp only with the AEONs? If amp only - which DAC are you pairing it with?

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,687 of 5,483
Great looking amp. Price is a little steep... :frowning2: and not many (as in none) being sold used. At least recently. Are they ever discounted by Woo or any reseller?!
Also, are you using its built-in DAC as well, or use it as amp only with the AEONs? If amp only - which DAC are you pairing it with?

I'm using the internal DAC. I recently posted a review, I used the line in with the aircraft IFE system. My ears are becoming so accustomed to the Mr. Speakers sound I'm not sure I'd want to change brands.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,688 of 5,483
Just loving it..
Ordered balanced cable from Lindsey to Jotunheim. Any experience how the balanced output fron SE affects the sound?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/470021455/custom-infinity-series-cable-fits-mr?ref=shop_home_active_2
IMG_20170817_121238131-01.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #2,689 of 5,483
Dan - being the owner of both the Ether Flow (open) and AEONs, and already owning the Jotenheim, which tube or hybrid would you say make them sound warmer / "tubier" than the Jotenheim?
I think the Jotenheim is a little "accurate" where I am looking for something more fun / warm / bassy / tubey...
In general, I keep reading reviews in which people claim tubes (OTL) amps are not great with planar magnetic, and I should stick with Hybrid or SS. What are your thoughts, as the planars expert? :wink:

Thanks, and see you tomorrow at the meet,
Zachi.

Mjolnir 2 with tungsol 6922/ec88 and AmpsandSound Kenzo are nice, not spent time with Vali 2 but heard nice things...

I'll have my Liquid Glass and some great tubes...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,690 of 5,483
Mjolnir 2 with tungsol 6922/ec88 and AmpsandSound Kenzo are nice, not spent time with Vali 2 but heard nice things...

I'll have my Liquid Glass and some great tubes...

Thanks Dan. See you tomorrow.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2,691 of 5,483
Hey guys

Quick Q about bass character of the aeons...It's been years a since I've spent some time with more neutral cans... i have a mate's pair of AKG 240 mkii atm and you know the bass out of my chord mojo ain't half bad. I mean the texture is all there just not as much slam as my 650s.. I guess I need to reevaluate my entrenched ideas about more neutral cans. I read that the 240s have less of a soundstage so even with less bass slam the narrowness of the staging keep that intimate feeling.. I like this characteristic.

I don't need a new set of cans exactly like my 650s .. so i am seriously considering getting the aeons.. the clincher is whether they have that nice bass texture and intimacy to them.

I had been looking at the Sony Z1R as 'fun' and 'intimate' are the two subjective labels that perk my ears up right away. However I have a 650 already. So not sure what's the point right now in getting the Z1R

Alot of the modern classical I listen to has quite muddy ambient bass tones so benefit alot from more neutral cans. So I'm thinking neutral can for those and then whack out the 650 for the massive attack sessions :)

be great to have some opinions
Dan

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,692 of 5,483
I measured my Aeon's with my home-made measurement rig. I hope it's OK to put these here. I am a total amateur so take these with a grain of salt. Pretty happy with my Aeon's, which I've had for about a month now with several hundred hours of play time. These were taken from an LH Labs Geek Out 2 Pro Infinity Playing 1M Sine sweeps on the FR charts and 128k sine sweeps for the impulse/waterfall. All this was with the filters in. Taking the filters out didn't make a huge difference on the charts, everything was within about 1.5 db.

Aeon%20Channel%20Matching.jpg

Right Channel Waterfall:
Aeon%20Right%20Waterfall%20with%20Filter.jpg

Left Channel Waterfall:
Aeon%20Left%20Waterfall%20w%20Filter.jpg

Left Impulse response for good measure.

Aeon%20Left%20Impulse.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,693 of 5,483
Unfortunately I am not able to see any of the results. Quite interested to see what you got.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,694 of 5,483
Unfortunately I am not able to see any of the results. Quite interested to see what you got.

OK, I made some downloadable links above each chart in case the images aren't showing up.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2,695 of 5,483
Nice. Thank you! A couple of things stand out. Channel matching is not as tight as I would have thought it would be. Dan hand matches drivers. Of course it will never be perfect. How much of the difference could be attributable to your test setup?

The other thing is that there is no evidence of the ~5K ortho wall seem in many planar headphones.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,696 of 5,483
The channel differences are within 2db until you get over 7khz, which is OK to me. The sharp dips are probably not very audible in the real world either, and might be measurement artifacts, comb filtering, etc. I would take the response above 7khz with a big grain of salt. Here is an HD800 I measured for comparison:

HD800%20Channel%20Matching.jpg

And an AKG Q701
Q701%20Channel%20Matching.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #2,697 of 5,483
I have played around with a mono signal and panned back and forth. I have not heard any differences that are noticeable to me. So not a problem there. I thought Dan said at one point that they were matched within 1 DB. Maybe my faulty memory. Again, not a big deal. If I can't hear it, it is not there (for me anyway). I was just commenting on the graphs. I would think that even minor differences in microphone placement or sealing could easily account for the observed differences. So I asked.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,698 of 5,483
The drivers are matched within 1 dB but pads can add variation and also position on the fixture will change the response. As a matter of policy I don't make comments on measurements made by owners.

FWIW speaking of the position I use as the optimal point for my tuning is to slide the headphone slightly forward so the ear snugs into the back pocket of the ear pad, and the pad rests slightly under the rear of the ear. This position has the smoothest upper midrange to my ears and the most linear tone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,699 of 5,483
Yeah, for sure. Even a few mm of differences in the positioning of the headphone could make the difference, so you can probably make about 1 dB of the channel difference attributable to my rig. I did my best to hold the position consistent between channels using graduation marks on the coupling surface.

The drivers are matched within 1 dB but pads can add variation and also position on the fixture will change the response. As a matter of policy I don't make comments on measurements made by owners.

FWIW speaking of the position I use as the optimal point for my tuning is to slide the headphone slightly forward so the ear snugs into the back pocket of the ear pad, and the pad rests slightly under the rear of the ear. This position has the smoothest upper midrange to my ears and the most linear tone.

Thanks MrSpeakers. It makes sense that those soft comfortable pads could account for a decibel or two of frequency response here and there. The other HP's I measured definitely have harder pads, but I think it was a good tradeoff to make the Aeon one of the most comfortable headphones around. I think my pair measure pretty well compared to the other stuff I have and I'm very happy with them. Just messing around for furn with my measurements. Obviously people should look to Tyll or someone else if they want really good measurements, and we all know he has done some good ones on the Aeon.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,700 of 5,483
ÆON Musings

WP_20170820_004.jpg

Build – Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I think the ÆON is a great looking headphone, quirky in shape, simplistic and functional in design, and the midnight blue hue with the carbon fibre accents adding difference and an air of prestige and strength. Speaking of strength, they look and feel well-built and seem durable, the cast aluminium baffle plates, combined carbon fibre and plastic ear cups and Nitinol headband arches seem fairly indestructible. The leather headband strap and protein leather ear pads complete the solid build picture and provide for a very comfortable, fatigue free head fit. My only slight concern is the cast aluminium gimbal arms that I wouldn’t want to drop on a hard floor, evidenced by one owners past misfortune. Cast aluminium in the form of a relatively thin tube can be a bit brittle.

The ÆON looks better in the hand than in photos, and the biggest surprise to me was size. They pack small (great compact hard case Mr Speakers) but they are far from small on the head. They are full size, and extend to the jaw line not unlike a K70X or LCD and similar. They are not portable size and obviously don’t fold up. Having said that, they are extremely light and weight distribution through the ingenious leather head band Nitinol arches is exceptional. There is plenty of room to adjust both around the ears and on the head to achieve positioning that should provide comfort for 95% of the headphone wearing population, Elfs and very large hat sizes being the exceptions. As ÆON packs small but wears large, I wouldn’t recommended them as a portable head phone, more a transportable headphone, for work or overnight stays as opposed to wearing on the bus, train etc.

My only other slight issue with build is the cable. I do like the DUM (MER) cable, however it is a bit memory stiff and doesn’t sit well across the body. And I struggle occasionally with finding the right ‘twist’ with the cable connectors, sometimes they simply slip in (very satisfying click) and other times it seems that I am doing it wrong.

Sound – Are they efficient or not? Efficiency isn’t a yes or no question; it is a matter of degrees. The ÆON measures in at SPL 97dB/mW. Comparatively speaking there are many headphones that are more efficient, but the Mr Speakers closed back is efficient enough to be driven by a reasonable DAP. My A&K JR runs a fairly efficient Bose QC 25 in noise cancelling mode at around 45 on the volume scale. The Ultrasone Signature Pro runs to the same sound volume at 50 and ÆON jumps to around 60 on the dial; the A&K JR tops out at 75. So the ÆON can be driven by the humble DAP without need for extra amplification, although the ÆON does scale well with better electricals. So if your DAP can’t drive your ÆON, it is time to invest in a new DAP, or turn the volume down, you’re damaging your hearing.

If you’ve been a member of Headfi for more than 5 minutes you probably already know that the ÆON measures reasonably closely to the Harmon Target Response Curve. Is the HTRC the last word in bench marking for desirable headphone sound? To me, the ÆON sounds fairly neutral. By neutral, it doesn’t emphasise any particular aspect of the frequency response. It isn’t a warm, dark, bassy headphone, nor is it a bright, strident, sibilant headphone. Some people have described the ÆON as bass light, and as a result lifeless, soulless? and boring. I think it would be safe to say that the ÆON is bass light in comparison to Z7, ZR1, XB1000, and other bass emphasised headphones, however it goes deep and provides plenty of low and mid bass when the music calls for it. Again, the ÆON does not intensify or accentuate bass in tracks, but it is not bass light, it is neutral in its sound signature. With this neutrality you do get euphoric vocals, both female and male, as the bass doesn’t bleed into the mids and the clarity enables the full sound spectrum to shine as intended in the recording. The outstanding aspect of the ÆON for me is the natural tonality. Not to be confused with neutrality, by natural tonality I mean that instruments sound as they should, as how I perceive them in a ‘live’ context. Pianos and guitars sound like I am listening in a live venue, symbols and drums sound so right, as do vocals. If I am listening to a track which is basically acoustic, say a guitar and vocalist, then I can take the top off a beer close my eyes and I am in the venue.

The frequency response curve indicates a slight peak at around the 5K mark, however to my older ears this doesn’t present any problem at all, and I listen to the ÆON without the extra foam inserts and experience no sibilance whatsoever, outside of poorly mastered/produced recordings.

Although the ÆON is a closed back headphone the sound stage isn’t closed in, instrument separation is excellent and overall sound isn’t congested in any way. The ÆON sounds as open and airy as many open headphones (Grado I’m looking at you) not as wide as HD 800 or K70X (some would argue artificially wide), but certainly with enough width and depth as to not warrant complaint in comparison to most headphones.

The ÆON is very smooth, neutral, perfectly balanced and has a sound stage of an open headphone, with high comfort levels and an ability to scale up, what more could you want?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back