AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,446 of 5,483
Wow you have the two headphones I am looking to get. At the moment can only afford one. I am going back and forth on getting the 1990pro and the Aeons. I just got the Ifi BL Dac/amp so any purchases will be a while. Which do you prefer for home listening?

Depends on what you listen to and what you prefer. I have weird tastes. Listen probably 70% to classical and then next most often to rather heavy, dark rock and punk (Nick Cave and so on).

The 1990s are absolutely fantastic classical cans. Big sound stage, great instruments separation. Highs are very well reproduced. Great detail retrieval. And all without sacrificing bass response.

For rock, I would probably pull the Aeons instead.

Not to complicate things. But the pair of cans I reach for the most often are the Monolith M1060s (with the Audeze Vegan pads).

If you don't have a lot of ambient noise, and you value soundstage, I would spring for the 1990s or M1060s. Maybe then wait for the open version of the Aeons as a possible upgrade...

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,447 of 5,483
Last comment : I cannot believe how dedicated MrSpeakers is ! I should have checked the serial number and checked the issue with Dan before making any conclusion.
Let's face it, if I had the means, I'd stay with both Aeons and Alpha Prime.
My personal taste leans towards the Prime, but for some albums/mood, I can imagine myself prefering the Aeons.
Exactly as how I keep both the HD800S and the AudezeLCD3.
Can't wait to see what MrSpeakers will hold for us in the coming years.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,450 of 5,483
Serge, I respect your view as I also prefer warmer cans with smooth highs. Definitely look into if your cans are among the AEONs that were shown to lack in the lows. If they are, replacing them, also using the foam, could very well get you that sound. If you like the Alpha Prime, and can't get that, the MDR-Z7 may be a more affordable choice vs. the MDR-Z1R. Not as detailed, and a bit thicker in the low mids but that's part of what makes them great. An affordable modification (as White Tiger has done and he has a thread on here about it) can bring them to even higher quality.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,451 of 5,483
Serge, I respect your view as I also prefer warmer cans with smooth highs. Definitely look into if your cans are among the AEONs that were shown to lack in the lows. If they are, replacing them, also using the foam, could very well get you that sound. If you like the Alpha Prime, and can't get that, the MDR-Z7 may be a more affordable choice vs. the MDR-Z1R. Not as detailed, and a bit thicker in the low mids but that's part of what makes them great. An affordable modification (as White Tiger has done and he has a thread on here about it) can bring them to even higher quality.
Hey thanks a lot for those advices !
Problem with the Sony you mention is poor isolation I think.
For me good isolation from exterior noise is the first condition of any closed back.
Never heard any pf those though; you enjoy the MDR-Z7 more than the Alpha Prime?

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,452 of 5,483
Hey thanks a lot for those advices !
Problem with the Sony you mention is poor isolation I think.
For me good isolation from exterior noise is the first condition of any closed back.
Never heard any pf those though; you enjoy the MDR-Z7 more than the Alpha Prime?

I have both the Z1R and the Z7, and some other closed cans. In my opinion, the Z1R isolates extremely well, best of the closed cans I know. The Z7 is not far behind, still better than most others. My T5p.2 and TH-X00 isolate worse than both Sony's. In all fairness, the TH-X00 officially is a semi-open can, even if you don't see it.

The Z1R is the best of these headphones in my opinion. T5p follows suit.

That's as far as closed cans are concerned. For open, I love my T1.2, it gets the most listening time. But I wish someone would make a headphone with the bass of the Z1R and the mids and highs of the T1.2. That would be my end game.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,453 of 5,483
I have both the Z1R and the Z7, and some other closed cans. IMO the Z1R isolates extremely well, best of the closed cans I know. The Z7 is not far behind, still better than most others. My T5p.2 and TH-X00 isolate worse than both Sony's. In all fairness, the TH-X00 officially is a semi-open can, even if you don't see it.

The Z1R is the best of these headphones in my opinion. T5p follows suit.

That's as far as closed cans are concerned. For open, I love my T1.2, it gets the most listening time. But I wish someone would make a headphone with the bass of the Z1R and the mids and highs of the T1.2. That would be my end game.
Very interesting !!!
So tell me, Alpha Prime vs Z7?
Sound wise?

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,454 of 5,483
Very interesting !!!
Sound wise?

Sorry, never listened to the Alpha Prime, so can't compare. I like the Z7, but as many others, sometimes they have this perceived veil, that comes from somewhat recessed mids and highs. It's a bit strange, sometimes I love their sound, sometimes I don't. For many genres they are great, but e.g. classic guitars I take my T1.2. Mayne not a fair comparison price wise, but in terms of detail and liquid perfect highs, it blows the Z7 out of the water. But then again, the T1 doesn't have the rumbling low end.

A good compromise might be the Beyer T5p.2. The 2nd Gen has significantly more bass (little bit more bias to mid bass than deep bass), but clear and liquid mids and highs. It's more expensive than the Z7 though. Very curious about the Aeons, that's why I am here :wink:

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,455 of 5,483
The Aeons are definitely light on bass, whatever the experts may tell you in terms of "the bass is there when needed etc etc".
The T5p has poor isolation which is why I disqualify it.
There is no point in having a closed back if it does not isolate well, since it's easier to get a a full balanced sound from an open back.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,456 of 5,483
Very interesting !!!
Sound wise?

BTW, if you decide to buy the Z7, there is a mod that does improve it a lot, cleans up reflections from the inside of the earcups. I believe Mark Up was referring to this too. If you search for Z7 mod on Currawong's youtube channel, you'll find all about it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,457 of 5,483
About 80 hours with my Aeons and enjoying them more and more. Even when listening conditions are ideal for using my HE1000 I still find myself reaching for the Aeon sometimes. That may be because they're my shiny new toy, but i'm addicted to the energy they bring, they're just very engaging. I didn't expect to like them as much with Jazz as I have been, horns especially sound great. I also tend to forget that i'm wearing closed back headphones. Not that they're soundstage can compete with the HE1000 by any means, but they're not at all closed in or in my head, which i really don't like because I find it harder to lose myself in the music when that's the case. I really like to hear the sounds all around me enveloping me in the experience.

I can't help myself but wonder about cable upgrades now. Ugh this damn addiction:L3000:

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,459 of 5,483
Since there has been a few people who have stated the Aeons have more bass than the PM-3 I have decided to place them connected to a music source and try burning in the headphones for 100 hours. I am not going to listen to them until the time is up. Will listen to the same track as before Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back