AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 13, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,356 of 5,483
Thanks you for building these great headphones. I can honestly say they stand up to my HE1000 and I really didn't think that was possible. I'm totally pleased now regardless of which I reach for!
Given the price difference, and being closed back as opposed to open, it's amazing how well they do against the HE1000v2. At the moment I'm happy that I'm where I want to be with both open and closed headphones...famous last word etc....

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,357 of 5,483
You can get essentially the same effect with a little EQ and without the pads and keep all the comfort .

since you have all that you need to do the comparison yourself, don't pay too much mind to what reviewers say and just find what you like.
I usually go without the inserts

I just got the pads yesterday, but so far I prefer the Aeon without the pads.

No inserts for me. They sound more recessed with the inserts

I agree, I prefer the sound signature without the pads. They seem to lose too much sparkle in the treble region.

Thank you! I try my best to determine my sound preferences, but when seasoned audiophiles all agree on the opposite of what you enjoy, it makes you second guess your own opinion. It's reassuring to hear others share their similar opinions.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,358 of 5,483
Thank you! I try my best to determine my sound preferences, but when seasoned audiophiles all agree on the opposite of what you enjoy, it makes you second guess your own opinion. It's reassuring to hear others share their similar opinions.
I like the sound with the pads, but find them more comfortable without and like the sound just as much. Yes, it's slightly different, but as previously mentioned a bit of EQ can fix that if needed. To be honest I haven't bothered with EQ recently as I'm happy with them as they are.

People hear differently, have different sound preferences and like different types of music. It's nice to read others opinions and get a feel for how things sound, but ultimately all that matters is whether you like what you hear. Trust yourself and you'll be happy (note to self).

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,360 of 5,483
Thanks for all the banter, very helpful! My wife is complaining about noise leakage from my open back Elears. Will the Aeons provide reasonable noise isolation for her comfort, sanity, and overall wellbeing? Actually, forget the wife part, I'm interested in noise isolation in a non TV living room from closed back headphones...

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #2,361 of 5,483
Thanks for all the banter, very helpful! My wife is complaining about noise leakage from my open back Elears. Will the Aeons provide reasonable noise isolation for her comfort, sanity, and overall wellbeing? Actually, forget the wife part, I'm interested in noise isolation in a non TV living room from closed back headphones...

The isolation is awesome, I'm very sensitive to this and i'm totally content with the amount (or lack there of) leaking in and out. Aside from something with active noise canceling like Bose quiet comfort, i can't imagine better isolation from a high-end headphone.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,362 of 5,483

I feel you. My wife retrieves the Aeons from their stand and hands them to me if I try to listen to anything open-back anymore. Unless you listen dangerously loudly or wear the wrong kind of glasses, no one else will not hear much, if anything, due to sound leak. For noise isolation, they prevent most outside noise from getting in. Not as isolating as, for example, Shure IEMs, but better than many of the other IEMs I use.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2,363 of 5,483
I've had the AEONs for a little over a week now and have been listening to them with the foam pad inserts. The inserts make my ears very warm. So warm that I have to adjust the cups every 10 - 15 minutes just to allow them to breath. I also have fairly big ears, so the inserts push my ears back and make them touch the edges of the inside of the pads which I find uncomfortable after a while. I find myself re-adjusting the cups often during listening sessions.

I took the inserts out and the comfort has increased significantly. The sound still seems great, my only worry is that I'm sacrificing sound quality for comfort considering some reviewers like Tyll and Aornic prefer them with the inserts.

My question is, does anyone prefer the sound of the AEONs without the inserts?
What do you think? After all, that is what is important. Actually the only thing that is important!
I did not have the inserts until about 5 days ago. I have not tried them yet. I have been quite happy with the Aeon with no foam inserts installed.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,364 of 5,483
What do you think? After all, that is what is important. Actually the only thing that is important!
I did not have the inserts until about 5 days ago. I have not tried them yet. I have been quite happy with the Aeon with no foam inserts installed.

I think they sound great without the inserts. I just worry that I would be missing out on something I wasn't aware of because I chose comfort over what others claim is better quality. Been running them for a few hours without the inserts now and the comfort problems are no more. Sound is terrific and I feel very satisfied! :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #2,365 of 5,483
Someone already said it, but I will repeat. 90% of what is discussed at HF and in the Headphone subculture in general is entirely subjective. People hear differently, I mean measurable differently. The shape of their ears influences the sound. They have come to like and expect much different things. This is true of professional reviewers just as much as it is for the rest of us here. I like to read what other say to compare my thoughts, but my opinion always wins. I have found a few people that I find perceive sound and appreciate the same things I do. If I am looking for gear and they have comments, it motivates me one way or another. Tyll is one that I I find does not often closely agree with the way I hear things, though I really greatly enjoy his reviews, especially the measurements.

Bottom line, if it makes you happy, then don't be very concerned because someone else says they don't like it... or like something else better. Just enjoy your headphones!!:L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,366 of 5,483
Guess you could say, you waited for æons ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
YEEEEAAAHHH

ROTFLMAO

So far after listening, my PM-3 has far more bass, but Aeons are allowing me to hear details I didn't notice. Finger snaps can be heard as more than one, so detailed. More instrument detail. Bass is similar to Ether Flow.

My real test will be my flight in two weeks.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #2,367 of 5,483
I find my PM-3 is simply an overall darker headphone. I like them and have been using at my office for a good year, but I do not find them to be close to the Aeons for balance or as a complete package for my tastes. I also think that their warm sound, including more mid bass, tends to make one think there is more bass. When considering what I think of as bass, they really do not have more quantity than the Aeons.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #2,368 of 5,483
I now see how the bass of the PM-3 masks other portions and details of the music. They also are harder to drive than PM-3

So far very good compliment to my Ether Flow when I don't want to hear Peppa Pig or have quiet environment.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,369 of 5,483
I have both. It's really hard to compare closed and open. But...

Compared with the Aeons, the DT 1990 pros are much wider with better instrument separation and more sparkle. The Aeons sound a little congested, relatively.

The low end on the 1990s is much more pronounced than on the Aeons (I know, odd for Beyers). They really rumble (put on Bela Fleck's Cosmic Hippo), even with the analytical pads. With the bass-boost pads they are insanely bassy. I run them with the analyticals.

So, oddly, I find the Beyers more "fun" than the Aeons. Not a long way from neutral, but just a little more bass and sparkle.

But even the best closed can is going to have a hard time competing against a good open can. I have the Aeons because I need some isolation at work. Otherwise I would only have open cans.

BTW, I vastly prefer the 1990s to HD600/650. They are equally resolving with MUCH better soundstage and a more engaging presentation.

Wow, your description almost makes me pull the trigger on the DT 1990 Pro since I like them quite a lot when auditioning them but I don't have a chance auditioning the AEON.

Would you mind comparing them in terms of transient response and detail retrieval? Those are two things I thought the AEON might do better than the DT 1990 PRO.

Thanks for the reply!

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2,370 of 5,483
Hi all,

Can I ask what kind of amps you are running with your Aeon?
ALO CDM = feel not enough power to drive it properly. Max out already.
ALO CV5 = A lot better power than CDM but not as engaging as CDM ( K10C )
ALO Studio Six = about 75% of power to drive properly where as Utopia requires < 50% of power. Utopia sent back to Focal for them to evaluate light rattle ( right driver ) sound during certain sub-bass frequency.

I have not power back the WA6-SE yet to see.

Of course, just burn-in since this Monday night. Sounds are getting better by the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back