AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,981 of 5,483
I can. Aeons have considerably more depth and soundstage vs the sine. Bass quantity is increased with the Aeon. There's more mid presence to my ears in the Aeon, but in a less than pleasing range for certain songs (400-600 range). Sines are a bit warmer in the low mids, more extended up top but almost to a fault. Two very different experiences, but very different form factors as well. I like the Aeons better for certain songs and Sines better for others. Aeons kill with a good modernly recorded rock track. Both are exciting to listen to in different ways but the sines will sound wimpy in comparison. Depends on what you plan on doing with them...sines are a fantastic portable, Aeons I wouldn't wear in public personally.

Thanks for the info! I just bought the SINEs on an excellent deal, making them my third closed planar now. I figured they'd be outperformed by the AEONs, but I'm glad to hear that they aren't aiming for the same FR at least. Not-as-good-but-different is something I can still appreciate.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,983 of 5,483
Preliminary findings: I like the foam inserts, but I feel like that they change the mids just slightly and make them sound a bit boxier. They also seem to reduce the treble and sub-bass clarity slightly, which I miss. So, I prefer the Aeons with no foam inserts, and I much prefer them without inserts but with the X-Bass from the Black Label. To me, they sound the most natural that way. I will re-visit the inserts issue in the future, I'm sure.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,984 of 5,483
Preliminary findings: I like the foam inserts, but I feel like that they change the mids just slightly and make them sound a bit boxier. They also seem to reduce the treble and sub-bass clarity slightly, which I miss. So, I prefer the Aeons with no foam inserts, and I much prefer them without inserts but with the X-Bass from the Black Label. To me, they sound the most natural that way. I will re-visit the inserts issue in the future, I'm sure.
I'm still breaking the Aeons in so I'll probably pull the inserts later on to see which sound I prefer more. Plus, I'm hoping to get a desktop DAC/AMP combo like a Schiit Jotunheim to put more power into them before I stick with a configuration.

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,985 of 5,483
So the inserts have arrived? I'll keep my eyes on the mailbox..

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,986 of 5,483

Mine were in the box, since I was one of the last 20 pre-orders.

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,987 of 5,483

The inserts were all shipped, so most people in the US will have them this week.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,990 of 5,483
Just wondering, do you wear glasses?
Since you mentioned a lack of bass quantity(at least initially), I find that the bass is quite seal dependent and I need to take mine off.

Thanks for the tip - I do wear glasses, however these have flat temples, which makes it a bit easier with headphones. I noticed a small improvement though when removing the glasses - however, realistically, I would normally have glasses on when listening to music.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,991 of 5,483
Inserts did lift the base seeming to noticeably extend the resonance of a note as it decayed. However, my ears have pronounced high end rolloff and thus appreciate all the simmering I can get, so I prefer the Aeon's sans inserters

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #1,992 of 5,483
Thanks for the info! I just bought the SINEs on an excellent deal, making them my third closed planar now. I figured they'd be outperformed by the AEONs, but I'm glad to hear that they aren't aiming for the same FR at least. Not-as-good-but-different is something I can still appreciate.

Sines are an excellent value, especially now that they're dropping in price. I don't even think it's a "not as good" scenario as it is an apples to oranges. Two very different phones, both excellent in their respective classes.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,993 of 5,483
The inserts were all shipped, so most people in the US will have them this week.
Oh OK, I'm in Canada so I'm aware that it will take a bit longer.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,994 of 5,483
Sines are an excellent value, especially now that they're dropping in price. I don't even think it's a "not as good" scenario as it is an apples to oranges. Two very different phones, both excellent in their respective classes.
However, when it comes to comfort and fit, IMO it is no contest. The AEON is one of the best ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back