AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 3, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #828 of 5,483
Dear @mrspeakers , any word about how well can AK players drive the Aeon directly? Especially AK240. I'm asking because these have a slightly higher impedance output (~2ohm single ended, ~1ohm balanced) compared to most portable sources that use <0.1ohm these days...

Also, would you offer a 2.5mm AK balanced cable as an add-on?

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #829 of 5,483
  Dear @mrspeakers , any word about how well can AK players drive the Aeon directly? Especially AK240. I'm asking because these have a slightly higher impedance output (~2ohm single ended, ~1ohm balanced) compared to most portable sources that use <0.1ohm these days...

Also, would you offer a 2.5mm AK balanced cable as an add-on?

Thanks!

The AK players are OK with ÆON but as you note balanced is a good idea on these devices when pairing with ÆON.  When the Cavalli Spark is out, it is a fantastic pairing to the 240, 300 and 320, it delivers a fantastic portable sound...

The Chord Mojo is also a very worthy consideration.  Because it roughly doubles power down to 8 ohms it delivers a gobs of power at 13-14 ohms, and feels really effortless.  Also the QPr1 with it's current mode amp plays really nicely.  

You can always use our standard or DUM cables.  ÆON won't offer cable termination options, the cable is what it is; a really good yet low cost cable without termination options.  To make ÆON affordable we had to make some compromises, optional cable terminations is one.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 3, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #830 of 5,483

The AK players are OK with ÆON but as you note balanced is a good idea on these devices when pairing with ÆON.  When the Cavalli Spark is out, it is a fantastic pairing to the 240, 300 and 320, it delivers a fantastic portable sound...

The Chord Mojo is also a very worthy consideration.  Because it roughly doubles power down to 8 ohms it delivers a gobs of power at 13-14 ohms, and feels really effortless.  Also the QPr1 with it's current mode amp plays really nicely.  

You can always use our standard or DUM cables.  ÆON won't offer cable termination options, the cable is what it is; a really good yet low cost cable without termination options.  To make ÆON affordable we had to make some compromises, optional cable terminations is one.  

Many thanks for the reply, and yes I definitely understand regarding the cable pricing, I meant an add-on for extra pay of course. I might have to look at balanced cable options, I hope it'll be a good pairing with the AK240 + balanced cable.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #831 of 5,483
Is the presale over? the website wouldn't let me checkout with the Aeons in my cart.

1. Sorry, we do not have enough "ÆON Closed-Back Headphone" in stock to fulfill your order right now. Please try again in 60 minutes or edit your cart and try again. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #834 of 5,483
Is the presale over? the website wouldn't let me checkout with the Aeons in my cart.

1. Sorry, we do not have enough "ÆON Closed-Back Headphone" in stock to fulfill your order right now. Please try again in 60 minutes or edit your cart and try again. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Try again, if problem persists email info@mrspeakers.com

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 5, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #837 of 5,483
Demoed at weekend using a Hugo and briefly Hugo II. Very comfortable, liked the ear shape! Found a little warmer than Ether C's that I fell in love with and purchased. But going to be a great all rounder at a good price that will be hard for other manufacturers to match!

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #838 of 5,483
Demoed at weekend using a Hugo and briefly Hugo II. Very comfortable, liked the ear shape! Found a little warmer than Ether C's that I fell in love with and purchased. But going to be a great all rounder at a good price that will be hard for other manufacturers to match!

What's the imaging and timbre like?  Both as a closed back and in comparison to your Senn HD800 and Ether C?

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #839 of 5,483
  What's the imaging and timbre like?  Both as a closed back and in comparison to your Senn HD800 and Ether C?

​As you know, a quick back and forth listen at shows is maybe a fair guide for what you like and what you don't, but is harder to make comparison judgements.

So I can only give you my initial impressions as I played three tracks I know, two well recorded and the other 'Rush' which has a more thin sound.

My HD800s have great imaging but to me sound too wide on rock music, the music can become almost detached. Great on less dense music though.

I tried the Aeons first and liked what I heard and it seemed a great all-rounder. Then switched to Ether C's and my first thought was 'where's the bass gone?' Then I became acclimatised to the sound and loved it and played more tracks appreciating its qualities. Both phones were not closed in at all, I might say I found them half way between open and closed phones, the Ether a bit Airier and the Aeon warmer and so more forgiving of thinner or less well recorded tracks.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #840 of 5,483

​As you know, a quick back and forth listen at shows is maybe a fair guide for what you like and what you don't, but is harder to make comparison judgements.

So I can only give you my initial impressions as I played three tracks I know, two well recorded and the other 'Rush' which has a more thin sound.

My HD800s have great imaging but to me sound too wide on rock music, the music can become almost detached. Great on less dense music though.

I tried the Aeons first and liked what I heard and it seemed a great all-rounder. Then switched to Ether C's and my first thought was 'where's the bass gone?' Then I became acclimatised to the sound and loved it and played more tracks appreciating its qualities. Both phones were not closed in at all, I might say I found them half way between open and closed phones, the Ether a bit Airier and the Aeon warmer and so more forgiving of thinner or less well recorded tracks.

Nice... appreciate your insight.

Hopefully while in HK over the next few days I'll get a chance to hear a pair of Ether Cs, Ether C Flows, and Nightowls.  Their MIGHT be a pair of Aeons there as well... keeping my fingers crossed on that!  Just hope the fellow who has them shows up! Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back