AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #706 of 5,483
I wouldn't say natural competitor. The Aeon is 2x the money so it should be better across the board. And I find that it is. Staging is way better on the Aeon and it sounds more open. There was a slight weirdness in the tone in the mids of the pm-3 that I could never overcome (possibly EQ could have fixed it, I understand that Sonarworks has a preset profile for it now). Weight and overall comfort is pretty comparable. 

I'll give the nod to the pm-3 on portability. It's smaller and has a sleeker look. The Aeon for me is more transportable. 

I've ordered the Aeons to replace my PM-3's as my portable set up. When I say portable what I mean is when I am not at home. Holidays, hotels etc and not taking the bus or going on a train or walking down the street. Really looking forward to early May :blush::headphones:

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #707 of 5,483
Pre-ordered one from a local distributor here, loved what I'm hearing and the comfort is just top notch. Might very well be my end game closed headphone.
biggrin.gif
Also the free Fulla 2 promo during local festival here is too tempting, though delivery is expected in May or June, so it will still be a while.

Demoed a pair of Audeze Sines a week or so back, disappointing... they were more uncomfortable than my LCD-2s which were just too damn heavy/sweaty and offered no isolation (a silly foray into open-back).  I also found the Sines imaging and timbre weaker than my super comfortable B&O H6s.

Awaiting patiently to try a pair of the new MrSpeakers Aeons which I hope are superior both sonically and comfort-wise than the Sines, as well as a logical upgrade from my B&O H6s.  What say you?

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #708 of 5,483

Demoed a pair of Audeze Sines a week or so back, disappointing... they were more uncomfortable than my LCD-2s which were just too damn heavy/sweaty and offered no isolation (a silly foray into open-back).  I also found the Sines imaging and timbre weaker than my super comfortable B&O H6s.

Awaiting patiently to try a pair of the new MrSpeakers Aeons which I hope are superior both sonically and comfort-wise than the Sines, as well as a logical upgrade from my B&O H6s.  What say you?

I had the same impressions of the Sines and LCDs. I will be interested in what you have to say about the Aeons.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #709 of 5,483
  I had the same impressions of the Sines and LCDs. I will be interested in what you have to say about the Aeons.

Unfortunately due to the poor isolation and discomfort my Audeze LCD-2s ended up gathering dust so I gifted them to my best friend whom already has my O2 Amp and Shure SE535LTD-Js!

Really hoping the Aeons deliver!

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #710 of 5,483

I have a pair of Sines and H6's and I think the Sine is noticeably more resolving than the H6 but they do require a LOT of burn in time before they really start to sing-maybe the demo pair weren't burned in enough?

At any rate the Aeons will probably need a lot of burn in also going by my past experience with Mr. Speakers cans so don't give up if they're a bit stiff in the beginning, once they're singing you'll want to toss the H6 in the garbage..............

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #711 of 5,483
 I have a pair of Sines and H6's and I think the Sine is noticeably more resolving than the H6 but they do require a LOT of burn in time before they really start to sing-maybe the demo pair weren't burned in enough?

At any rate the Aeons will probably need a lot of burn in also going by my past experience with Mr. Speakers cans so don't give up if they're a bit stiff in the beginning, once they're singing you'll want to toss the H6 in the garbage..............

Maybe so... however, they were not very comfortable which is paramount for me as I use headphones daily for 6 to 8 hours at a time

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #712 of 5,483

I have no experience with B&O, so I can't tell. Comfort-wise, of course Aeon will trump Sine anyday. I'm more tolerance to Sine comfort now however, that I can wear it for hours even though it will still make my ear sore at the end of the day. Aeon, from my short experience, shouldn't have any of that, it is a delight to put it in my head. Sound-wise, I think Aeon is more resolving and better all around, but I can't exactly tell until I have both in my hand to compare directly. I expected Aeon to beat my Sine obviously... :wink:

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #714 of 5,483
do the aeon's use the same connector as the alpha's?

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #716 of 5,483
  Well, I pre-ordered. I believe in mrspeakers. Only downside is I have to wait until May! But, it will be a pleasant surprise when it comes.

I have finally decided to make a leap of faith, and pre-order before audition (I am worried promotion would end before I get a chance at CanJam SoCal in 2.5 weeks).
Anyhow - I cannot seem to add to cart.  The new hi-fi+ award image seem to have replaced the price and "purchase" button.  Is it only me??
(already sent a PM to Dan last night)

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #719 of 5,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back