AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 16, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #676 of 5,483
  NUMBERED AND SIGNED IN GOLD LEAF???   since we're being greedy rotflol

Gold Sharpie maybe...

Haha. Good one!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Autographed and numbered by the Man Himself...I wouldn't complain......
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #677 of 5,483
The drop in postage price has it wavering either side of $1k AUD depending on the spot exchange rate, and worth taking the risk on for customs duty.

However, I'm hitting this error when trying to pay.
  1. Generic processor error: 15012-The CE agreement for processing Mastercard is not accepted

I also can't use my Mastercard if I go through paypal (but a VISA debit, which I'd prefer not to use, shows as an option).

Has anyone been able to pay with Mastercard?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #679 of 5,483
The drop in postage price has it wavering either side of $1k AUD depending on the spot exchange rate, and worth taking the risk on for customs duty.

However, I'm hitting this error when trying to pay.
  1. Generic processor error: 15012-The CE agreement for processing Mastercard is not accepted

I also can't use my Mastercard if I go through paypal (but a VISA debit, which I'd prefer not to use, shows as an option).

Has anyone been able to pay with Mastercard?

I've never seen this code but research indicates that your bank is refusing the terms provided by our payment processor. I think you have to use a plan-b card. We do take MasterCard and all other major cards...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #683 of 5,483
Haven't compared the two personally but out of common sense, the sine didn't blow up the headphone world the way these have started to due to can jam auditions and surely will do once they're in everyone's hands. These things are ridiulous. Will be my next purchase after Hugo

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #684 of 5,483
I am currently debating whether I should go with the ZMF Atticus or the Aeon. 

Some favorite artists that I would want to listen to at its fullest potential would be Radiohead, Swans, Kendrick Lamar, Talking Heads, CAN and Nicolas Jaar. I am also fairly intrigued by ambient music such as William Basinski, Stars of the Lid, or Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Up to this point I have personally owned merely two headphones: the Fidelio X2 (home use; mids a bit recessed, better base than the Meze but still muffled, great soundstage, great for gaming/movies, but for pure music listening sessions I would love to have something more defined) and the Meze 99 Classics (on the go; love the mids, especially male vocals on here. Good detail, no real soundstage but smooth and fine with all genres. A premium version of this would be great, I guess) however, I had the chance to listen to quite a variety of other headphones whenever I visited friends in Berlin (they have a sweet Hi-Fi store there). After listening to nearly everything there (from small upgrades such as the HE400i to the big flagships by Fostex, Audeze, Hifiman, Focal and Sennheiser) I made the decision that my next purchase would be a higher-end product and not just a small update/side step to my recent set-up, for I know that I would merely want the next best thing soon after that. My only problem was that I was not entirely satisfied with any of the provided flagships. While I loved the bass and the fit on the TH-900s, The mids/vocals were a bit too recessed for my taste (although it wasn't as bad as on the TH-610s) and the peak at the highs could get too much for me as well. The Audezes were simply too uncomfortable and heavy to even enjoy and focus on the music and the Hifimans as well as the Sennheiser HD800s felt weird on my head (I did not have enought time to get used to it and listen to them properly).

Now I wonder, which one of those two headphones might be the best for me. Is there even a chance of knowing that without having tried them? The only option for me - here in Germany - would be to order them and have a go with them since there are no Head-Fi meets here as far as I know. Hence, I was hoping that some of you guys could give me some insights on what you think would suit me best, given my musical taste and minor headphone experience.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #686 of 5,483

​I think Aeon vs Eikon would be a better comparison. The Atticus felt like a mid fi or lower headphone to me because of the tuning; the bass overwhelmed the mids and treble and affected the clarity. I'm a basshead by trade. The EIkon on the other hand was absolutely spectacular and felt like a $3000 headphone. The only thing though is the EIkon is semi-closed while the Aeon is fully closed. And of course the Aeon is much cheaper.

I made my choice and bought the Aeon

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #687 of 5,483
I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess that we have received most, if not all the impressions we can of people that have heard the Aeon's. At this point we need to wait until late April or early May for the folks that ordered already to get them, burn them in, and post impressions. I think the turnip is out of blood.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #688 of 5,483

​I think Aeon vs Eikon would be a better comparison. The Atticus felt like a mid fi or lower headphone to me because of the tuning; the bass overwhelmed the mids and treble and affected the clarity. I'm a basshead by trade. The EIkon on the other hand was absolutely spectacular and felt like a $3000 headphone. The only thing though is the EIkon is semi-closed while the Aeon is fully closed. And of course the Aeon is much cheaper.

I made my choice and bought the Aeon

I guess we all hear things differently....I agree the Eikon would be a better comparison to the Aeon than the Atticus,but theres no way the Atticus sounded mid-fi....and if anything I felt the mids were forward and prominent on it as well....to my ears the Atticus is a better and more fun LCD-2...perhaps not as much sub extension,but much more impact.

The Aeon is a really good sounding headphone,especially for the price,it just doesnt compliment my collection as well as The Atticus does,so it will have to wait until after I add the ZMF.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #689 of 5,483
  I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess that we have received most, if not all the impressions we can of people that have heard the Aeon's. At this point we need to wait until late April or early May for the folks that ordered already to get them, burn them in, and post impressions. I think the turnip is out of blood.

Allan - I expect more impressions right after CanJam SoCal (Apr. 8-9).
I guess the turnip is not out of blood just yet...  
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #690 of 5,483

Some favorite artists that I would want to listen to at its fullest potential would be Radiohead, Swans, Kendrick Lamar, Talking Heads, CAN and Nicolas Jaar. I am also fairly intrigued by ambient music such as William Basinski, Stars of the Lid, or Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Up to this point I have personally owned merely two headphones: the Fidelio X2 (home use; mids a bit recessed, better base than the Meze but still muffled, great soundstage, great for gaming/movies, but for pure music listening sessions I would love to have something more defined) and the Meze 99 Classics (on the go; love the mids, especially male vocals on here. Good detail, no real soundstage but smooth and fine with all genres. A premium version of this would be great, I guess) however, I had the chance to listen to quite a variety of other headphones whenever I visited friends in Berlin (they have a sweet Hi-Fi store there). After listening to nearly everything there (from small upgrades such as the HE400i to the big flagships by Fostex, Audeze, Hifiman, Focal and Sennheiser) I made the decision that my next purchase would be a higher-end product and not just a small update/side step to my recent set-up, for I know that I would merely want the next best thing soon after that. My only problem was that I was not entirely satisfied with any of the provided flagships. While I loved the bass and the fit on the TH-900s, The mids/vocals were a bit too recessed for my taste (although it wasn't as bad as on the TH-610s) and the peak at the highs could get too much for me as well. The Audezes were simply too uncomfortable and heavy to even enjoy and focus on the music and the Hifimans as well as the Sennheiser HD800s felt weird on my head (I did not have enought time to get used to it and listen to them properly).

Now I wonder, which one of those two headphones might be the best for me. Is there even a chance of knowing that without having tried them? The only option for me - here in Germany - would be to order them and have a go with them since there are no Head-Fi meets here as far as I know. Hence, I was hoping that some of you guys could give me some insights on what you think would suit me best, given my musical taste and minor headphone experience.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

I reviewed both headphones you are considering, so I'll weigh in with a few observations. I would say the better choice is going to be heavily dependent on amping. If you've been over to the Atticus and Eikon thread recently, you'll see there has been an increasing discussion rising about damping factor on the Atticus... which is the headphone's impedance (300 ohms) divided by the amplifier's impedance. While, in most cases, a damping factor of 8 or more will yield the best results, a couple of other Head-fi'ers and I have discovered that the Atticus changes dramatically in a positive way with a lower damping factor of about 4 to 6. In words, it will sound best with an amplifier with an output impedance between 50-75 ohms. In most cases, that would be an OTL tube amplifier (the 60 ohm DecWare CSP3 is absolutely sublime with it). With the lower damping factor, the mids come out in a MAJOR way and it becomes very lush and euphonic with absolutely gorgeous vocals. With many standard <1 ohm amplifiers it can be quite bassy and the mids become a bit recessed in comparison. If you do happen to have an OTL tube amp though, it is absolutely a treat to listen to and it scales to an astounding level.

The AEON, on the other hand, is pretty much hassle-free. It's going to sound great out of just about anything you plug it into. And while the AEON certainly scales very nicely with better amplification, it can also sound pretty darn good out of a minimalist setup too. It is undoubtedly the safer choice of the two, and I've even been recommending it to non-audiophiles as "a headphone that will probably keep you happy for the next 20 years... you'll never need to upgrade." It is also the lighter and more comfortable headphone (actually, it is one of the most comfortable headphones on the planet). The AEON is also going to be the clearer and more detailed headphone of the two (though the Atticus might be able to bypass it with a very, very high-end tube amp).

Based on the fact that your current headphones are the X2 and the Meze (both great picks!), I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't have a $2,000 tube amp sitting around and say that the AEON is probably going to be the better choice for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back