AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3,211 of 5,483
I got my æon yesterday. Been listening with Tidal Hifi. They sound really good out of my ipad air 2. Been A-B testing with my moon neo 430had and ipad air 2. There is not a huge difference! Was thinking about getting a mojo for the æon but im thinking the ipad sound is not far from the moon neo 430had. Find it weird. Any input here?

The Mojo is fine, Hugo 2 a perfect match...addictive. Honestly I preferred the ifi idsd micro BL over the Mojo.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,212 of 5,483
The Mojo is fine, Hugo 2 a perfect match...addictive. Honestly I preferred the ifi idsd micro BL over the Mojo.
The thing is. Moon neo 430had outperforms mojo and Hugo. And compared to ipad air 2 there isnt much difference to the 430had. So im confused.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,213 of 5,483
It's possible that your Tidal source material is the reason why the iPad competed. Were you streaming (which limits the bitrate)? or had you downloaded files in HiFi mode? If you were streaming lowish bitrate material, there is only so much a DAC can do to improve the sound. If it was hi-rez downloads, you should hear the difference in the Aeons.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,214 of 5,483
It was downloaded tidal hifi on the ipad and streaming tidal hifi on the computer with moon neo 430had.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #3,215 of 5,483
I have found the IOs devices have a pretty warm tone with AEON. The Moon has a reputation for being quite warm, so it may simply be that with the Moon you are getting a similar tone with (presumably) more resolution. My expectation would be the Chord products will have a very different sound from the devices you have, probably a more clear and resolving signature should be expected, with a resulting tonal change.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #3,216 of 5,483
I have found the IOs devices have a pretty warm tone with AEON. The Moon has a reputation for being quite warm, so it may simply be that with the Moon you are getting a similar tone with (presumably) more resolution. My expectation would be the Chord products will have a very different sound from the devices you have, probably a more clear and resolving signature should be expected, with a resulting tonal change.
You are right, have been critical listening now, its kind of warm, sounds very nice with iPad, not so good with iPhone, but with the moon it scales in form of more resolution.

But mojo is also kind of warm in sound? How about hugo 2?

My Aeon came with certificate of authencity dated 10/2/17 Does it mean it was produced in february?

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #3,218 of 5,483
It's possible that your Tidal source material is the reason why the iPad competed. Were you streaming (which limits the bitrate)? or had you downloaded files in HiFi mode? If you were streaming lowish bitrate material, there is only so much a DAC can do to improve the sound. If it was hi-rez downloads, you should hear the difference in the Aeons.
Streaming tidal limits bitrate? Is that really true? I don't see anything about it with a quick Google search...

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,219 of 5,483
I dont think it does. Unless you have activated it to do it when not on wifi.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,220 of 5,483
It depends on your settings. Streaming does offer HiFi, and it works well with WiFi. However, with cellular, most would opt to use a lesser setting to avoid buffering and data gluttony. Was trying to see if he was comparing apples to apples with that iPad vs Mojo battle. (Sorry we got off topic here. Back to Aeon! There are at least two threads dedicated to Tidal.)

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3,221 of 5,483
You are right, have been critical listening now, its kind of warm, sounds very nice with iPad, not so good with iPhone, but with the moon it scales in form of more resolution.

But mojo is also kind of warm in sound? How about hugo 2?

My Aeon came with certificate of authencity dated 10/2/17 Does it mean it was produced in february?

Hugo 2 is super neutral and resolving. It's quite a fantastic device. If you want portable, also check out the QP2r.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 14, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #3,222 of 5,483
I got my æon yesterday. Been listening with Tidal Hifi. They sound really good out of my ipad air 2. Been A-B testing with my moon neo 430had and ipad air 2. There is not a huge difference! Was thinking about getting a mojo for the æon but im thinking the ipad sound is not far from the moon neo 430had. Find it weird. Any input here?
Your Ipad gives the Moon the sound quality so you will not hear much difference.

The DAC is more important that an AMP because the DAC will create the analog sound and the should amplify that only.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3,223 of 5,483
Your Ipad gives the Moon the sound quality so you will not hear much difference.

The DAC is more important that an AMP because the DAC will create the analog sound and the should amplify that only.

Im using ipad alone and imac with the moon

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #3,224 of 5,483
I wouldn't try to get a Mojo or Hugo. Your iPad is fine

If you want something else then get a Centrance DACPort

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,225 of 5,483
It depends on the configuration that you want, check the prices at http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=72

Does anybody know of a cable manufacturer that ships from europe, lately i am having issues with customs so i would like to know if any of you guys know of a store like impact audio cables, that sells balanced cables (2.5 mm) for the Aeon but ships from europe, my max budget is around 200€, but it would be prefereable to be around the 100€ mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back