AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 26, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2,146 of 5,483
Did the foam inserts come separately? I don't remember if I received them.

Did you buy during the pre-order phase? If so, they will have come separately.
Dan mentioned a while back that they were going to send them out to those people without any additional action required on their part. I really don't know exactly when that was supposed to happen.
Later full production units were supposed to have them shipped with the units... though this was more intimated than directly stated anywhere.

I wrote to MrSpeakers. I got a reply today saying they would send me a pair. I was in on the pre-order. I am not sure whether they missed me or if they just had not sent them all out yet.

If you look back in the thread there has been a point during shipping where foam inserts were incorporated to pre-order shipping. Those who had the earlier pre-orders would have received them separately, but I was on the later pre-order bunch and I received mine in the same package as the headphone. So give it another look, it might be in there somewhere.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #2,147 of 5,483
Inserts were all posted by June 12, if you're in the US you should have received them, International can take up to 3 weeks. If you don't have one by next monday email us @ info@mrspeakers.com and we'll post a set.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 26, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2,148 of 5,483
Going back to Aoen seal.....I tried them on with out my glasses. Looked down at my glasses and thought to myself do I really need 20/20?

20/20 is overrated! Just use larger fonts... :wink:

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,151 of 5,483
Overpriced cable if you ask me.

Yeah I know I go against the grain.

I'm just sick of seeing these cool looking cables, then I see the price and it's like a big middle finger. You ever walk into a professional studio? Ask about the cables if you ever get a chance, find out what was paid for them. You might be surprised to find that it is by far the least important component in the signal chain.

If they used the types of cables we audiophiles want to use, there would be no more money left for the mixing board, the monitors, the preamps, poweramps, instruments...

Look, this cable madness has to end somewhere, and if no where else, it ends with my wallet - which bruised as it is from all these amps and headphones and speakers, will never be significantly used for friggin' cables.

If they look cool, get them. Know that they are probably a minor upgrade from most stock cables, and you are paying for less than 5% increase at best unless your stock cables were really crappy or too thin (high resistance), and you are mostly buying for looks because my goodness they are beautiful.

Okay, thank you for your time, your attention is appreciated. Carry on, now. :)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #2,152 of 5,483
Overpriced cable if you ask me.

Yeah I know I go against the grain.

I'm just sick of seeing these cool looking cables, then I see the price and it's like a big middle finger. You ever walk into a professional studio? Ask about the cables if you ever get a chance, find out what was paid for them. You might be surprised to find that it is by far the least important component in the signal chain.

If they used the types of cables we audiophiles want to use, there would be no more money left for the mixing board, the monitors, the preamps, poweramps, instruments...

Look, this cable madness has to end somewhere, and if no where else, it ends with my wallet - which bruised as it is from all these amps and headphones and speakers, will never be significantly used for friggin' cables.

If they look cool, get them. Know that they are probably a minor upgrade from most stock cables, and you are paying for less than 5% increase at best unless your stock cables were really ****ty or too thin (high resistance), and you are mostly buying for looks because my goodness they are beautiful.

Okay, thank you for your time, your attention is appreciated. Carry on, now. :)
It's not just about cool looking bro. If it will improve the SQ even just tiny bit, i will buy it. For me all stock cables are bad. This one is not overprice like you said, compare to other brands. And i just bought it :).

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #2,153 of 5,483
It's not just about cool looking bro. If it will improve the SQ even just tiny bit, i will buy it. For me all stock cables are bad. This one is not overprice like you said, compare to other brands. And i just bought it :).
Congratulations on your new cable, I hope you enjoy it.

I will try to cultivate my golden ears in the meantime. .. or at least some silver plated copper ears :wink:

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,156 of 5,483
If you look back in the thread there has been a point during shipping where foam inserts were incorporated to pre-order shipping. Those who had the earlier pre-orders would have received them separately, but I was on the later pre-order bunch and I received mine in the same package as the headphone. So give it another look, it might be in there somewhere.

Ah, thanks for the info.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,157 of 5,483
I can confirm that AEON really good for metal music(death, doom) for 8 hours in my office via mojo and nothing can stop me to get 10 hours.
I have to counter this as I'm not liking them as much for metal as I am for jazz/classical/blues. first, I'm a metal first kinda guy, but mostly 80's metal (maiden, metallica, megadeth, slayer, that kinda stuff, to give you perspective on the sound I like - screeching guitars, bass and drums lost in the mix, absolutely horrific mastering quality).

what I'm finding is the neutral mids lessen the impact of the guitar work on metal, for me. my reference headphone for metal enjoyment (not accuracy!) are my grado sr225e. the more forward mids, paired with the extended highs, make the metal I listen to most sound best (to my ears). the aeon sounds dull in comparison. also, the aeon's bass seems just a touch too strong for my metal. I notice it draws my attention to the drumming, when I'm mostly interested in the guitar work. the grado draws my attention to the guitars, which is what I want. I also just prefer the aggressiveness of the grado's presentation, as metal is aggression in audio manifestation. again, just my personal preferences, not an indictment of the aeon.

another point I'd like to make is that the aeon doesn't do any favors to poorly recorded music (99.99999999% of metal :frowning2: ). I find the aeon are best with higher quality recordings, personally. it's not that the aeon sound bad, they sound sublime. but when I hear what they can do with better audio files, it makes me sad when listening to my favorite stuff with horrible recording quality. the grados seem more forgiving of poorly recorded music. they just don't scale up nearly as well as the aeon.

I'm just offering my counter opinion to help those fellow metal heads who might like brighter headphones like grados, and are considering the aeon for their metal enjoyment. again, the aeon isn't bad with metal, I just think there's better, at much lower price points. my personal favorites for metal are the sr225e, msr7, srh840, and a900x. all those have much brighter presentations, and are more forgiving of crap recordings. the aeon, overall, kills those sets easily in overall sound quality, but for metal only, I'd take any of them over it. just my 2c

ps any maiden fans out there, the band released remasters of most of their album catalog, and they're pretty good. in my opinion they're better than the older 98 remasters, though I still wish they could improve the dynamic impact and resolution. but I have a feeling the source recordings are pretty bad... :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,158 of 5,483
ps any maiden fans out there, the band released remasters of most of their album catalog, and they're pretty good. in my opinion they're better than the older 98 remasters, though I still wish they could improve the dynamic impact and resolution. but I have a feeling the source recordings are pretty bad... :frowning2:
Yes, I agree. I got them from HDTracks and they sound very good indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back