Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #301 of 830
Typically I lurk but as I haven't seen anything posted I'll add what I've found. I really enjoy my pair of grey market (Ebay for $750) Aeon2 Closed. But... I hated the cable. I purchased the Hirose ends to make my own cable and also orddered a cable from LunaShops that still hasn't arrived. I hate the Hirose connectors even more than the cable. In doing a little bit of searching I found this post from iFlip92.

These were an absolute joy to work on and were clearly designed by someone who cared about the internals. Everything was machined perfectly and fit together with precision. I can now use all my cables for my Focal Elears and for good measure ordered a couple new cables from LunaShops. Good luck voiding your warranty and don't blame me for anything. I'll try to check back in and answer questions when I can. With a one year old and three year old that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. Now I'm off to replace a toilet because the one year old flushed a wooden block that is now lodged and immovable.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=6067
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4650

There is a certain irony to people modifying our headphones, given our origins. :wink:

Glad that worked for you! And good luck with your toilet!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #302 of 830
There is a certain irony to people modifying our headphones, given our origins. :wink:

Glad that worked for you! And good luck with your toilet!
While I have your attention... I'm guessing there is a logical reason for choosing the Hirose style connector. Would you be able to share why this connector was chosen over other more prevalent options?

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #303 of 830
While I have your attention... I'm guessing there is a logical reason for choosing the Hirose style connector. Would you be able to share why this connector was chosen over other more prevalent options?

We selected this 8 years ago. At the time there were no "prevalent" options. 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks aren't very reliable and prone to unplugging and getting intermittent contact. Mini-XLR are too long and interfere with the shoulder or cause the cables to project forward, increasing effective weight of the headphone. The Hirose is:

Super reliable, we've had only a handful of problems over 8 years
We use it on every headphone so cables are cross-compatible
I really like the click-lock mechanism

Most people who comment seem to like the connector, occassionaly someone doesn't, but with a large and growing installed base, ensuring compatibility for people who invested in custom or special cables is a priority, and the majority of other connectors still wouldn't appeal to us as being any better, and usually more prone to failure.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #304 of 830
I've never had a 3.5mm connection fail in my 20 years of headphones starting with my first Grado I modded in 2000.

I'm frequently working with my headphones and prefer that if my cable get's stuck it will break away at the cup and not damage something else. I also like that because they are fairly common now it is easy to find replacement cables, and parts, for a myriad of aesthetics and applications. I'm also frequently in a classroom testing something and it's easy to unplug a cup and plug into a sound system to test the audio without having to go grab something from my office. Just my preference.

I wouldn't mind the Hirose connector if they were easier to line up. especially if you could do it by touch. And that it was an easier cable to diy. The strain relieve and how it has to be crimped perfectly in order to fit inside the sleeve of the connector is just a pain in the butt. I found it nearly impossible to use a really fine gauge wire because while the soldering was easy getting the whole thing to come together just never worked without damaging the individual wires or short circuiting them while trying to assemble it. I was even lucky enough to find the right crimping tool at work that probably hadn't been used for 15 years at least. May have been used last with BNC connectors. A video guide of how to use them might be helpful on your website.

I just didn't think they were very friendly.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #305 of 830
We selected this 8 years ago. At the time there were no "prevalent" options. 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks aren't very reliable and prone to unplugging and getting intermittent contact. Mini-XLR are too long and interfere with the shoulder or cause the cables to project forward, increasing effective weight of the headphone. The Hirose is:

Super reliable, we've had only a handful of problems over 8 years
We use it on every headphone so cables are cross-compatible
I really like the click-lock mechanism

Most people who comment seem to like the connector, occassionaly someone doesn't, but with a large and growing installed base, ensuring compatibility for people who invested in custom or special cables is a priority, and the majority of other connectors still wouldn't appeal to us as being any better, and usually more prone to failure.
One suggestion regarding the placement of the connector (which indeed is great): since the cups are pretty large did you consider placing it slightly inwards to the head? The cables now touch the collars of my shirt quite regularly. Not a dealbreaker in any way!

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #306 of 830
Here is a perfect measurement
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxyxqxqz6bxoejl/Dan Clarke Audio Aeon 2 Closed (preliminary).pdf?dl=0
(Oratory1990 has a huge list of headphone measurements, his whole list https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets)

As you can see, the FR graph severely differs from the neutral. The headphones are rated based on how close its FR is to the target neutral curve and the
A2C is rated 55/100.
LOL: just tried the EQ settings in Neutron (Android app) to approach that pseudoscientific Harman curve: even untrained ears could hear the this was not an improvement. Not advisable at all, sounded much worse.

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #307 of 830
One suggestion regarding the placement of the connector (which indeed is great): since the cups are pretty large did you consider placing it slightly inwards to the head? The cables now touch the collars of my shirt quite regularly. Not a dealbreaker in any way!

We designed the cable angle specifically to keep the cable from "jutting out" and causing a lot of cable to hang in free space before hitting the chest. When the cable is hanging that = neck strain and perceived weight, which is why we didn't use mini-XLR, they are way longer and so the cables have to project a lot further out, for more hanging mass. For most users the cable plug clears the shoulders when you turn the head, obviously not in your case, though. But that's why they're as they are, comfort for normal use.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #308 of 830
LOL: just tried the EQ settings in Neutron (Android app) to approach that pseudoscientific Harman curve: even untrained ears could hear the this was not an improvement. Not advisable at all, sounded much worse.

I would recommend Sonarworks Reference 4 for headphone correction. I think it just tries to make them as neutral as possible. It works quite well. And as far as I can see the curve Sonarworks tries to get to is far away from the Harman curve.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #309 of 830
I don’t think the problem is the Harman Curve, digital EQ has issues and the suggested EQ might be wrong. The harman curve is just a slightly V shaped frequency response.

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #310 of 830
Hey guys I just got these off Amazon after reading this whole thread. I couldn't help it. I'm selling a bunch of my stuff just to afford them :p.

Do you guys think it will pair well with the Fiio A5+X5iii stack? I wonder if I should sell my A5 and get a Chord Mojo...

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #311 of 830
We designed the cable angle specifically to keep the cable from "jutting out" and causing a lot of cable to hang in free space before hitting the chest. When the cable is hanging that = neck strain and perceived weight, which is why we didn't use mini-XLR, they are way longer and so the cables have to project a lot further out, for more hanging mass. For most users the cable plug clears the shoulders when you turn the head, obviously not in your case, though. But that's why they're as they are, comfort for normal use.
Then that is the best solution. And I’ll have to replace that one shirt that not fits my Aeon 2’s LOL. Thanks Dan for this outstanding product.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #312 of 830
And to further elaborate on the cable: I really like it’s length, since it allows my Hiby R6 to be stored in my office Roncato case while traveling (even while biking - be careful please).

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #314 of 830
I got my A2C last night and I was very happy. The build is amazing and the quality of the Nitinol band I was seriously impressed I didn't know what to expect.
I plugged in my A2Cs to my Jotunheim SE port and started playing some songs and I was blown away by the soundstage on these things I couldn't believe they were closed headphones for a second.

Keep in mind I don't have super high end headphones to compare to. I am comparing these to Hifiman 560s and LCD-2s and I already like them better. There's more detail in them and I like the bass more, they're portable so I can take them to work and other places and there's no sound leak (almost none).

Now I am just waiting for my Fiio A5 to arrive and see how they match. I don't want to spend a ton more of $ on a Mojo.

How is the sound leakage on this model? I need a new set for my rather quiet office.
I was only able to perceive some sound leak at very loud volumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back