Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Mar 7, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #316 of 830
Just to let you know, there is serious quality control issues with these headphones.

My original AFC 2 sounds significantly different than my new unit (other people also said the same who heard both headphones). You wouldn’t expect that from a $999 headphone.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #317 of 830
Very bad. There is a big hole in the mids and a nasty peak.

Now luckly there are tuning pads to try balance out this very uneven headphone. Still swapping tuning pads to find the correct one.

So far I like the black ones the most. Tomorrow I will try an other one with the white filter and see how that works out.

I have to return these on Sunday so we shall see how it goes.
I know Aeon closed 1 has a v-shaped response with some missing presence region. Is it similar here? Have you had the Aeon 1?

I would like to see measurments from Rtings. It's good to have another party measure besides Jude, particularly random samples. To be frank, Jude has helped market Aeon 2, and it would be good for somebody that didn't help market to measure it. Like say a tour of people to assess as well. Random people, not the usual reviewers that has a relationship with the manufacturer, which break bias.

We need to know, how consistant is QC because drivers have various degree of sample variance. It's transparent for public to discover this than see a measurement of a golden sample.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #318 of 830
I hate the Hirose connectors even more than the cable.

I truly hate the Hirose connector as well. It is expensive, fiddly to work with, and the pins/contacts are so thin and puny. I cannot imagine why this connector was used, other than to increase post-sale profits by selling extremely proprietary cables.

Hirose by drjlo2, on Flickr

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #319 of 830
I truly hate the Hirose connector as well. It is expensive, fiddly to work with, and the pins/contacts are so thin and puny. I cannot imagine why this connector was used, other than to increase post-sale profits by selling extremely proprietary cables.

Hirose by drjlo2, on Flickr

Gee, I just love utterly uninformed snarky comments.

How about we picked it because it's spectacularly reliable, in 8 years I think we had one failure. And because at $6.99 it is hardly "expensive" for a well made locking connector. And finally they are relatively short so they don't interfere with the shoulders.

You don't have to love the connector, but there's no point being such a cynic. Give me a break.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 8, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #320 of 830

How about we picked it because it's spectacularly reliable, in 8 years I think we had one failure. And because at $6.99 it is hardly "expensive" for a well made locking connector. And finally they are relatively short so they don't interfere with the shoulders.

You don't have to love the connector, but there's no point being such a cynic. Give me a break.

While I don’t have any knowledge on the whole connection discussion, you did make me giggle on the ‘No point in being such a cynic part’ after opening with a comment that basically started out quite cynical :D

Don’t get me wrong, I can understand at times you guys face criticism that may or may be incorrect / undeserved but I’ve always been told it’s better to either ignore them or to simply give an objective argument to counter their criticism. However the snarky comment part can be considered somewhat unprofessional by some I guess (even if it’s deserved which I don’t know as I’ve indicated before).

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #321 of 830
While I don’t have any knowledge on the whole connection discussion, you did make me giggle on the ‘No point in being such a cynic part’ after opening with a comment that basically started out quite cynical :D

Don’t get me wrong, I can understand at times you guys face criticism that may or may be incorrect / undeserved but I’ve always been told it’s better to either ignore them or to simply give an objective argument to counter their criticism. However the snarky comment part can be considered somewhat unprofessional by some I guess (even if it’s deserved which I don’t know as I’ve indicated before).

Scroll back one page, and you will see the very well explained reasoning behind their decision to use this connector.

There was no snark in mrspeakers response, if anything he was being a little playful and not cynical. Just because this forum provides us with a voice, we don’t need to be jerks to the owners and fellow members.

There is already enough negativity, adding comments such as hate should not be part of the discourse. Otherwise we alienate each other, and lose the purpose of learning from constructive discussion.
I will get off my soap box now.

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #322 of 830
This is the first time using the Hirose connector and I have to say I love it. Yeah I would need to get a custom cable if I have to get a new one but isn't that the case with most headphones?

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #323 of 830

My experience is that the connector used on the DCA headphones is perhaps the best I have seen on any headphone: It very easy to plug and unplug and it locks in place for a secure fit.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #324 of 830

I personally love manufacturers who use words like "snarky" on internet forums for expressing one's opinion. I understand you may like the Hirose connector and that those who buy pre-made cables may like it, too. But I like to DIY and experiment with various cables, and in MY personal experience, the 4-pin Hirose connector is a pain to work with compared to other connectors I have used, such as mini-XLR connectors.

When I googled for the 4-pin Hirose connector, it was selling at $10-$15/each range at most places, especially Amazon (Prime) where I prefer to buy from due to fast delivery, free shipping, and easy return policy, $10.99/each.
https://www.amazon.com/HangTon-HR10...583721659&sprefix=hirose+,aps,206&sr=8-8&th=1

I recently bought 3-pin mini XLR connectors for my Abyss 1266 Phi TC for $7.99 for 5 pieces from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...118&sprefix=mini+xlr+connector,aps,207&sr=8-3

Even more middling price is $5.98 for 2 pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Conne...39&sprefix=mini+xlr+connector,aps,207&sr=8-36

Now, although your website does not show up when google search is used for the 4-pin Hirose connector, I now see that your website does list the Hirose connector for $6.99 each. That is good on you for offering better price than most places. I just placed a pair in the shopping cart, which came out to $15.38 + tax with the cheapest shipping option (first class mail). That is still at least more than double the price of the mini-xlr mentioned just above.

Since you called me "snarky" and "utterly uninformed," I felt the need to write the long-winded response above.
It is still my own personal opinion that I hate the Hirose connector for being expensive and fiddly to work with. We can agree to disagree.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #325 of 830
I personally love manufacturers who use words like "snarky" on internet forums for expressing one's opinion. I understand you may like the Hirose connector and that those who buy pre-made cables may like it, too. But I like to DIY and experiment with various cables, and in MY personal experience, the 4-pin Hirose connector is a pain to work with compared to other connectors I have used, such as mini-XLR connectors.

When I googled for the 4-pin Hirose connector, it was selling at $10-$15/each range at most places, especially Amazon (Prime) where I prefer to buy from due to fast delivery, free shipping, and easy return policy, $10.99/each.
https://www.amazon.com/HangTon-HR10A-7P-4P-Circular-Connector-Devices/dp/B07FD896X1/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2Z21Q4JYUOG2&keywords=hirose+4+pin&qid=1583721659&sprefix=hirose+,aps,206&sr=8-8&th=1

I recently bought 3-pin mini XLR connectors for my Abyss 1266 Phi TC for $7.99 for 5 pieces from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-5-Pack-Female-Connector-Microphones/dp/B01J33CF48/ref=sr_1_3?crid=69IIE6NZ631I&keywords=mini+xlr+connector+female&qid=1583722118&sprefix=mini+xlr+connector,aps,207&sr=8-3

Even more middling price is $5.98 for 2 pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Connector-Microphone-Socket-Adapter/dp/B00XDROWYC/ref=sr_1_36?crid=69IIE6NZ631I&keywords=mini+xlr+connector+female&qid=1583722239&sprefix=mini+xlr+connector,aps,207&sr=8-36

Now, although your website does not show up when google search is used for the 4-pin Hirose connector, I now see that your website does list the Hirose connector for $6.99 each. That is good on you for offering better price than most places. I just placed a pair in the shopping cart, which came out to $15.38 + tax with the cheapest shipping option (first class mail). That is still at least more than double the price of the mini-xlr mentioned just above.

Since you called me "snarky" and "utterly uninformed," I felt the need to write the long-winded response above.
It is still my own personal opinion that I hate the Hirose connector for being expensive and fiddly to work with. We can agree to disagree.

Your initial statment was not an expression of opinion, it was a false assumption on why the choice to use the hirose connection. Which if you took the time to scroll back to the previous page he explained the reason for their choice. You threw out the word hate, then entitled yourself to create a false assumption on his choice.

By the way, there are many third party cable guys selling quality cables with the hirose connecter at reasonable prices. No different than the other connectors other headphone manufacturers use. So that argument does not hold any water, it capsized. Along with your snark. :ksc75smile:

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #326 of 830

It is snarky and cynical to say the part was chosen to increase profit. That was just baseless.

Anyhow, peace.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #327 of 830
The Hirose and the mini XLR are my favorite connectors, both are sturdy enough to last forever, and yes the nice steep outward angles would not be possible
with the mini XLR due to their lenght.
The only qualm i got is that it is sometimes finicky to get it in, takes a bit of getting used to.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #328 of 830
The Hirose and the mini XLR are my favorite connectors, both are sturdy enough to last forever, and yes the nice steep outward angles would not be possible
with the mini XLR due to their lenght.
The only qualm i got is that it is sometimes finicky to get it in, takes a bit of getting used to.
For me, the quickest way to get them in is to very lightly push it in while simultaneously rotating until you hit the sweet spot and it pushes in fully and clicks into place.

Mar 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #329 of 830
For me, the quickest way to get them in is to very lightly push it in while simultaneously rotating until you hit the sweet spot and it pushes in fully and clicks into place.

Exactly how I do it.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #330 of 830
Hey guys. Have anyone tried these with a Fiio M11? I got a Jotunheim but I am never at home anymore so I am not using it. I'm planning to go full portable and I just want to know if a Fiio M11 is enough or I would need a portable amp as well.

I plan on using Shozy 1.1, Hifiman 560s and Aeon 2 Closed with the Fiio M11.

I appreciate all the help and guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back