Advise needed to improve my system
Sep 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 27

There is a forum title called meets and impressions where you can see if one will be near you.
Quote:
Red,,, where can I finf info on the HEAD-FI MEETS? I would ike to try the 650's with the Woo. I would set it up in my bedroom if Iliked the sound. The reason I like the Gilmore is it's so small and  don't have much room by my computer.
I have it set up in my keyboard slide out draw.
                                                                           Joe

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #17 of 27
It's so nice to see grado's recommended - I haven't seen that happen in months now with all the new 'cool' headphones.  I have grown an accidental collection of phones now but I still like my modified 325's the best.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
It's so nice to see grado's recommended - I haven't seen that happen in months now with all the new 'cool' headphones.  I have grown an accidental collection of phones now but I still like my modified 325's the best.

Anything in particular that you enjoy with the 325i over the LCD-2?

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:
Anything in particular that you enjoy with the 325i over the LCD-2?

Do you mean what one does he prefer?
L3000.gif
Id pick the LCD-2

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 27
like someone else on here I used to go back and forth between my 325's and 650's frequently.  They are a good combo to have.  Once I got the LCD-2, I never really listened to the 650's again but lately when I just want to relax and enjoy myself I like the grados.  Of course mine are far from stock but I bought new 325s for a short listen a couple of months ago and still liked them.  The grado's are the most open headphone I have ever heard.  The instruments are much more forward and present and I guess I just like the sound.  I've listened to a good selection of headphones now (pretty much all the main ones except the hifiman series) and I can say I'm not looking for anything else.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
Do you mean what one does he prefer?
L3000.gif
Id pick the LCD-2

Sorry about that folks, my question was not all that clear

@tme110

Great to hear that the modded 325's are proving themselves against some pretty fancied headphones
like the HD 650 and LCD-2. I've heard the 650 myself a few times but only on an Onkyo receiver
and with the aid of my 'very modestly' powered solid state Counterpoint amp. I enjoyed the
polarized differences against the 325i but in an almost inexplicable manner - I've been left
wanting, as if they needed more amplification. I'll be fortunate enough to try the LCD-2
next week at a Head-Fi so that will be interesting - I've had my eye on either the LCD-2
or HD 650 for some time but the issue over here in Australia for either on a purely
'cost' scale is pretty interesting

HD 650 is around $700AUD regular retail price
LCD-2 is $1200AUD regular retail price
Beyer T1 is $1100 regular retail price

At those prices (new) and with the necessary upgrade on amplification, it's not hard
to imagine why some people just skip past the HD 650 for either the Audeze
or the Big Beyer. I'll see what my ears tell me next week.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 27
Gwarmi,,,, I took your advise on the Grado's and I'm happy I did. Maybe you can recommend a DAC that goes with the G Lite and the Grado's. The one I'm using now is the Headroom Micro DAC 1st generation with the inputs in the front.
Again I rip looseless.
                                     Thanks Joe

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #23 of 27
Good to hear!

DAC matching isn't critical like with amps and HP's but what range?  A great bang for the buck with lots of options and good enough to last you a while is the nfb-3 (or -2 if you want to stretch).  For something simple and convinient (but only usb) could be the MRT MS2+.

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Gwarmi,,,, I took your advise on the Grado's and I'm happy I did. Maybe you can recommend a DAC that goes with the G Lite and the Grado's. The one I'm using now is the Headroom Micro DAC 1st generation with the inputs in the front.
Again I rip looseless.
                                     Thanks Joe

DAC choice can be a finicky process, especially since there appears to be a
clear distinction in the market at the moment for USB connectivity between
16/44 and 24/96 compatibility - I have not auditioned it so you could say
that this makes this suggestion redundant but the Eastern Electric 
MiniMax is a fascinating piece of kit with a tube stage and the new
Sabre 32bit chip.

The other that has shown little praise on here but continues to do
the recognition rounds in Europe is the Danish made - Lead Audio LA-100.

Lastly, you have the Melburnian based Burson Audio gang with their
latest offering that builds upon the DAC section from the 160D - the
DA-160 standalone DAC.

All contenders in the $400-$750 market.

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 27
I decided to return the RS1i being that I had 14 days to return them and the sound was just too ear piercing for me even after 100+ hours of burn in. I did find them very detailed.
I'm going to give the HD 650 a shot with the Woo WA6. The price of the amp came out to $3 more than the RS1i. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Joe

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Peachtree Dacit or the Cambridge Dacmagic. I'm not crazy about dealing wth companies that don't give a telephone number or adress.

I'm not sure about the Peachtree but there have been better DAC's for less money than the DACmagic, that and the RCA jacks put out worse sound than their other outputs.

Better DAC's for less money include NuForce Icon HDP (damn good amp too), Matrix Mini-i (good amp as well, balanced output), HRT Sound Streamer II (standalone DAC, but very good), and some of the Audio-Gd stuff.

If you're looking for a little "flavor" in your setup, the Gilmore Lite is a very good amp, I used to own one, and the Micro DAC can't really be faulted to be quite honest, might end up being just as good as the DACmagic IMO... you more or less had my old setup years ago when I stopped posting here! I think a great way to renew interest in your otherwise stellar setup is to buy a tube amp to either replace your Gilmore Lite, or just to run in preamp mode to inject "flavor" into the signal path from the tube stage of the amp, and then drive it with the Gilmore Lite for the much needed power for the 650's.

I see that you got the WA6 though, I read that like minutes into typing this up lol... anyway I think you made that right choice haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back